Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Exterior: Ruby Red
Interior: Natural Brown

I just washed and Zaino'd it.... I should have shot the pics before the Zaino because you can't see color with that mirror Zaino leaves behind.

This is a hard color to describe and really tough to photograph. I used a Gray Card to set white balance but it still appeared too red... I desaturated and it looked more natural. The color is halfway between a light burgundy and rust. Under some lights, it looks more red, others more rust. It seems digital cameras turn this into a real red red which it is not. I was so worried that I asked the Porsche guy that tested my car and mechanics that looked at it, "Does it look feminine?" Gotta laugh.

The interior looks like the classic Coach leather color. Again, tough to photograph as it looks a bit to orange.

As you can see I already tapped into the fuse box and installed a multi-cigarette lighter receptacle where I plugged in my V1 and ran the cable up the A pillar (pulled off the A trim). The other receptacle is a USB charger where I drilled through the back of the oddments cubby under the communications system and pulled through the micro USB plug. I found a switched fuse for unused PDK control. I realized I am totally nuts as my drill was whirring through the dash of a $109K car!

Peace,
Bruce In Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com (photography blog... my other hobby.. an entertains-me-only blog)

Stop the drivel!!! Show me the pics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 12:12AM by Bruce In Philly (2000S Morte). (view changes)
Re: Pics of my new-to-me '09 C2S
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 1:09:30 am
Great looking car. You were smart to use Zainos. Red is one of the color that it really look good with.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 8:34:27 am
Looks like a beauty to me.

Are the two pics just above the interior pics the closest to the actual colour? It's a really rich looking colour combination.

Enjoy.
If I have time today, I want to re-work these pics in LightRoom4. Most digital cameras try to make red pop... I guess it sells more units. I have a Canon and shoot RAW so I will go back and start with "Faithful" and rework them.

This pic is closest to the real color; note the bit of rust coloring. The pics as they are now are still to rich red looking.

[picasaweb.google.com]

Candy Apple Red: Mike, your comment really makes me go back want to rework the coloring. Again, it is a bit more to the rust side.

For you camera geeks, I started with style as "Standard":

[www.canon.co.jp]

[www.canon.co.jp]

I find modern cameras a bit odd, in that they all try to "pop" the color. Remember Kodak Kodachrome? It was all about accurate flesh tones, with the word "accurate" being key. Now accurate is in a submenu.

This stuff is typical... mass market stereo speakers and systems are designed to sell, not sound accurate and that is why the either the bass booms or they are tizzy. It is all about the Benjamins - I should know better.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, or seeing, when I processed these pics. I know put saturation back to 0 (I was desaturating to improve color - this was the wrong approach) and set camera calibration to "Faithful". This made a world of difference. Used LightRoom 4 and shot RAW.

[picasaweb.google.com]

Moral of this story, is beware dealer's digital cameras... few really understand that what comes out of a digital camera, even the real expensive ones, is not accuracy but "pop". Google "Porsche Ruby Red" images and compare what you find with what I just published...... the web pics are bright red while mine are now more subdued and have that rust tone.

My other hobby is photography hence my embarrassment about the incorrect color - I even have a calibrated monitor. Check out my blog for amateur photographers here: My Photo Blog

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 10:02AM by Bruce In Philly (2000S Morte). (view changes)
Great color rework!...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 7:12:17 am
... it's a beautiful combo with the natural brown interior.
I also enjoyed your photography blog. You're an artist!
I was in the imaging industry for the better part of 35 years and did a lot of work on developing better chemical products for processing film (including Kodachrome) and paper.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Ah, Kodachrome 25. It is missed! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 9:28:36 am
Its showed us the greens of summer among other things :-) *NM*
grant - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 11:46:13 am
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Its showed us the greens of summer among other things
Laz - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 6:11:38 pm
Yes, and I might've mentioned before how amazing the backlit 30 feet or so wide Kodachrome display in Times Square had amazing saturation and detail. All from one little frame of film.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 06:12PM by Laz. (view changes)
It looks great, Bruce
MikenOH - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 8:38:30 am
I've seen that color in bright sunlight and thought it looked close to what used to be called Candy Apple red--or just a bit lighter.
This color seems to change with the lights.

Bruce in Philly
Re: Out today in the sun - yep Mike, Candy Apple Red.
MikenOH - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 10:11:07 pm
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)
This color seems to change with the lights.

Bruce in Philly

IMHO,that's what makes deciding on a color so difficult--many colors take a different hue depending on ambient light.
When were looking at the 981 in the summer, the first car we looked out in GR looked washed out--with an overcast sky- compared to our GR 987 parked right next to it. I started wonder about going to another color but saw another GR 981 on very bright sunny day and the red absolutely "popped" as they say.
I saw this Cayman on the web in RR today thought that it was closer to the actual shade I have seen in person than how it looked in your pics:

[porschebahn.files.wordpress.com]
i like the interior too. In any event, enjoy the car and take just as good care of this one a you did the last one.

Grant

Grant

Great lineage:
Laz - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 9:52:57 am
Porsche 901 prototype
[www.atico.nl]
J/K! Seriously the car is stunner. I like red cars my favorite being Carmona red but Ruby red is right up there and it could be a tie.

Just in case you missed it my 996 suffered a collision with a mule deer shortly after I bought the car and while the animal wasn't a brick it was 300lbs of very solid flesh and bone. $25K worth of damage but fortunately no tub/chassis damage. 90K+ miles later the car has not had one problem related to the collision or repair.
Thanx, good to know..
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 10:57:52 am
Good to know you had no problems later. This accident my car had was very early on, a fact I took into consideration as my thinking is that if anything suffered, it was fixed. Good logic? I don't know but better early than if it happened right before I purchased it. I had an accident with my 2000 S Boxster in year 1.... a dear lady pulled out in front of me, left front quarter panel damage but my car was very drivable. No issues either.

Bruce
About that 300 lb......
grant - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 11:44:29 am
MarcW
....and while the animal wasn't a brick it was 300lbs of very solid flesh and bone.

Did you have it made into chops, shanks and stew-meat?

May not be any makings for lemon-aid, but a solid basis for game-chili.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 11:44AM by grant. (view changes)
Maybe not lemonade, but how about deer ceviche?
Laz - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 12:43:49 pm
grant
MarcW
....and while the animal wasn't a brick it was 300lbs of very solid flesh and bone.

Did you have it made into chops, shanks and stew-meat?

May not be any makings for lemon-aid, but a solid basis for game-chili.

Grant

It was kind of embarrassing. I wanted a police report so I called the accident into the sheriff's department and was told I was outside of its jurisdiction and instead the state police would handle the accident. An state police officer arrived and long story short one issue came up was where did the accident happen? I had driven some distance -- nearly a mile? -- after the accident to let the engine cool as much as possible though I wasn't running that hard to begin with. Just 50mph or so... the weather believe or not was cool, very wet, and even encountered hail and T-storms along the route.

I told the officer where I thought the impact had occurred and he went back to make sure the carcass was not a road hazard only to come back and report he found no sign of any deer or any animal impact at all.

The only thing I had to show the car hit an animal and not another vehicle or a guard rail was tufts of hair in the shattered headlight. Both the officer and tow truck operator recognized the hair was from a mule deer right away.

The next day in a rental car I retraced my route and found the spot where the impact occurred. The only sign was hoof prints coming up the side of the road from the range land onto the gravel along the shoulder then hoof prints back down again.

I know because I parked the rental car and got out and tracked the deer's path it took to get up to the road some distance out into the range, well, a hundred feet or so, then back at the shoulder I tracked the deer's route away from the road after the impact. No blood but the animal was on 3 legs. I followed the deer's tracks to a barbed wire fence which even on 3 legs I'm sure the deer could jump over easily.

I looked in the direction the deer's tracks took off in and saw no sign of a deer laying on the ground and a scan of the sky saw no signs of any vultures. Since the day was sunny and getting warm -- this was July 4th -- and I was concerned about snakes I carefully retraced my steps and got back to the rental car.
Reds
Bobtesa - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 11:42:07 am
Bruce, Very nice! Thanks for the pics.

My guess is that most people here have seen Ruby Red. But, if not and they want to compare it with Guards Red (no cost option, so common red) they can look at your car's color compared with the red brake calipers. Bruce, if it is not too much trouble, if you post a pick of just 1 panel with the wheel in the pic so the calipers are larger then in your pics, the two colors should be easy to compare.

I can't believe the price you paid for it!

Enjoy,
Bob
Excellent Bruce! Enjoy it *NM*
DougW - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 12:38:59 pm
paulwdenton - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 8:43:02 pm
My 08 Cayman is also Ruby Red and your pictures are very color-accurate.
A beautiful color on a beautiful car. I wish I was more pleased with the company, but there's no denying that they make a beautiful car and classy colors.
Beautiful!! .... Congratualtions *NM*
Joanne in OC - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 10:43:20 am
Wonderful car and color....
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 12:35:24 pm
If you're having second thoughts about not getting the absolute lowest buying price you could have possibly negotiated Bruce, please PM me and I'll take it off your hands for the 'high' price you paid. winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I know I got a great deal. But you still wonder. Regardless of the deal, it still is a ton of money. I don't know why this one bothers me more than when I purchased my 2000 S but it does. The 2000 S cost me $62K, more than this one and last me 12 years. I suspect I will get more years out of this one.

By the way, this car is rock solid stable. I hit 123 this afternoon on empty, flat and long road and didn't know it until I looked down. Really, this car deserves respect and caution.

Peace
Bruce
Re: Emotions are an odd thing
MikenOH - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 5:22:10 pm
Bruce:

FWIW, any time you can get a car with the pedigree and options that your car has, for 1/2 of sticker less than 4 years after it was sold, I would say you've done well. You did all the due diligence you could have done

My guess is after putting some time behind the wheel of this beautiful car, any uncertainty about getting it will become ancient history.
BDBOXSTER - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 3:35:34 pm
Bruce....your car is a real "piece of #ss"!!! What a great combo! I also just returned from flying to Kentucky to get my first Porsche at a dealership that CPO'd it and drove it back to NJ through a storm. Yikes!!!
Congrats!!!! These cars get into your blood.

Driving through a storm....

One of the things that pushed me over the edge to buy into this Porsche brand was a few of their ads that really hit home with me..... pictures of Porsche cars blasting through the Alps, snow flying, and a roof rack loaded with skis. Digging further, I found snow chains in the Porsche catalog and winter tire/wheel specifications. That was it for me! Before I purchased my first Porsche, I wanted an M3 because of the pedigree, performance, but I needed an everyday driver including winter months.

Another factor was that when I was 23, I had the great fortune to find an unbelievable deal on a Datsun 280ZX Turbo..... I was so amazed that I could buy this car, that I purchased a winter "beater" and babied the Datsun. Well, after some life changes, the Z was gone and looking back, I was very upset I didn't drive it more. I really didn't get much more money for the car given my treatment of it and that was it, "I'll never do that again!!".

So....... I just don't get the garage queen stuff. To each his own, but not me... I drive it!!!

Bruce in Philly
For bad weather, give the Dunlop Wintersport M3 or 3D a try
grant - Friday, 22 February, 2013, at 8:48:08 am
I have them on two of my 3 cars and they are not just good snow tires, they are good tires.

Maybe not the best thing to get one through a foot of snow, no studs, no knobs, but on dry roads they perform nicely.

And, of course, get the smallest wheel/tire combo that clears your brakes. I'm 20mm narrower on the audi and on OEM 16" size on the 986.

Grant

Grant

Re: For bad weather, give the Dunlop Wintersport M3 or 3D a try
Laz - Friday, 22 February, 2013, at 8:58:55 am
Michelin PA4s* have almost summer-like performance on wet and dry roads, but their shallow tread depth makes them a bit questionable for snow. Fortunately my CRX was recently fitted with four Yokohama snows that are excellent.
* Not sure about the fitment of this new version for your car, but the PA3 might work. These, too, are probably not all-out snows, but "winter" tires.
Re: Yikes.... a perspective
Laz - Friday, 22 February, 2013, at 8:52:36 am
Years ago Jean Shepherd wrote in Car and Driver about outlandish text in owners' manuals. One was from Mercedes; something about not driving over 90 mph in snowy mountainous conditions.
Michelin PA4s, at least the N-spec ones, are V rated: 149 mph. Snow tires. Ever notice the mountain/snowflake symbol on some tires?
I once met a guy with a Lotus Super Seven who got it in Colorado in winter and drove it back to New York. He had cut a hole in the firewall to let engine heat in.
The optional heater was a cast iron tube with flared front end that rested on top of the exhaust manifold and led to a hole in the firewall and the engine driven radiator fan threw air back through the tube and into the cabin when the flap on the firewall was open. No submarine race watching in the winter. And no defroster either.

And no snow tires but the narrow tires and high clearance got us through snow just fine to school maybe 12 miles away.
Sounds close to the old V-Dub / air cooled Porsche method
Laz - Friday, 22 February, 2013, at 2:57:29 pm
My 912 had air vents for rear window defrosting (and rocker & dash vents.) Going through a deep puddle for the first time was a surprise: steam shooting out from everywhere like in a spy movie. Rolled down the side window really fast to see!
Re: Sounds close to the old V-Dub / air cooled Porsche method
Ed B - Monday, 25 February, 2013, at 8:41:56 am
That was a special feature. Inside windshield washer.
I once owned a 1950 Seagrave open cab fire truck that had windshield wipers on the outside and inside of the windshield.

Ed B
Re: Yikes.... a perspective
BDBOXSTER - Saturday, 23 February, 2013, at 9:39:25 am
Datsun 280-ZX, now your talking !!!! What a blast of a car and great memories!!! When I read those words that started "Datsun....." I had a smile a mile wide. Remember how small the back seats where? I could tell you stories about high-school firsts back there!!!! Ha!!! I also have had a few 3 series, an Audi A6 with the 4.2 V8 that was a Monster, and currently have a MB 4-Matic station wagon that is a dream through the snow and now my first Porsche, 2.7 tip Boxster that will be my DD except in the snow. I use the tip paddles all the time and shift at killer rpm's after she warms up. My lady officer doesn't know how to drive a manual so I compromised by looking for a tip and knowing that in 2 years before the CPO runs out I will be trading it in for a 2013 Boxster. My dream is to have 2 horses in the barn.....I really like the older 911 Targa's and Cabrio but I'm not pushing my luck....yet. Really tired of the cold weather.....
Fantastic news! congratulations and enjoy.
Gundo - Tuesday, 26 February, 2013, at 5:03:52 pm
I made the switch a while back, and haven't really looked back, until the 981 was launched!

Cheers,
Gundo
Re: Fantastic news! congratulations and enjoy.
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 26 February, 2013, at 5:19:55 pm
Gundo
I made the switch a while back, and haven't really looked back, until the 981 was launched!

Cheers,
Gundo

So how much do you want for that 'old' red, oil burning 911 cab? winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gundo - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 5:11:29 pm
Will trade for 981...smileys with beer
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 8 April, 2013, at 5:36:23 pm
Let's talk at BRBS. You'll be there, right?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login