Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Question on the sports package in the new Boxster
Joanne in OC - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 3:06:00 pm
I have been driving the new Boxster at different dealers and asking many questions. But I seem to be getting different responses. When I asked about the difference I'm told the other dealer is wrong. ..... Currently, am trying to decide if I want the sports package. I can really feel the difference when I drive with it on and off. What does it really do? .... One dealer told me it stiffened the suspension and made a difference in the comfort level of driving the car and mostly used while on the track. Another told me it made the throttle operate better by positioning the pedal and didn't really do much to assist with the drive. ..... Is the option worth the $1800?

No one in Ca has the colors I want and looks like I'm going to have to order the car, will take 4 months after I decide what I want. 1 dealer told me 2 months (that was in Nov). Could a few months make that much difference in time?

Thanks
Joanne
Re: Question on the sports package in the new Boxster
Roger987 - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 3:58:53 pm
I don't know what the 'sports package' consists of.

MikenOH has a 981 with sports suspension. Below, I've posted a link to one of his posts. He may be able to offer you some guidance.

I'm very fond of PASM in my 987 and, since I don't track the car, but do drive on rough roads, I would choose PASM over the sports suspension.

[pedrosboard.com]
Rough roads
Bobtesa - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 6:25:04 pm
Ditto what Roger said about road surface quality. I have PASM in my 2008 and had MO30 in my 1999. I don't know what the 981 options are. PASM allows the driver two settings, one for better handling and one for cruising or on rough roads. MO30 was built into the suspension and could not be altered (my wife hated it she called it the 'bumpy option").

I'd suggest two things. 1, if you are not going to track or do autox, there really isn't a need for sports suspension. Make no mistake, the car handles fabulously w/o it! 2, if you do want the sport suspension, take the car on a back road with just average bumps. You don't need to go off road or anything, just a usual country road that is not perfect. If the sport suspension can not be turned off (like MO30), and you find it too rough to live with, then that will help with your decision making.

What colors are you looking for?
Will they let you take it out on rough roads???? *NM*
Joanne in OC - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 10:34:59 am
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2013 10:40AM by Joanne in OC. (view changes)
MikenOH - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 10:54:26 am
Joann:
Here is a link for a sport chrono explanation :
[www.porsche.com]

Essentially, it is the chronograph feature, adjustable transmission mounts (firmer), enhanced throttle response (more than just what the sport button by itself delivers I think) and the less intrusive PSM with sport mode activated. From the threads on planet 9 on this subject, the consensus was with a manual tranny it was a waste, while people using it with the PDK tranny liked it. I looked at it and had it on a 987 (without the adj. tranny mount capability) and thought it didn't deliver enough utility to justify $1800.
I agree with Mike's comments. The only improvement in handling would be in cornering because of the dynamic transmission mounts.

I think you would get much more handling improvement from either PASM or the sport suspension.

If you want to be able to adjust between softer suspension for rough roads and tighter suspension on smoother twisty roads, I think your best bet would be PASM,

If you want tight suspension for cornering mainly on smooth roads, the sports suspension might be the one you want.
MikenOH - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 5:17:17 pm
Joanne--are you speaking of option # X73--the sport suspension?
X73
grant - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 9:25:29 pm
The only X73 i could come up with is a 996TT optional "ROW" lowered suspesion. veru much like the ROW M030, it consists of stiffer, matched, springs, dampers and sway bars that lower the car 20mm and stiffen it by (an unknown margin since dampers are not linear).

Maybe there is a new X73 that is different, but you need to get the porsche description. PASM is adjustable. Its complex, but allows the best of both worlds. X73 or ROW M030 is quite rough. My take is that neither is required unless you plan to AutoX or track the car. In fact, on rough roads it will likely yield reduced grip, since the tires may not be in contact with the road at all times.

If you look here, i see no X73 option:

[autos.yahoo.com]

but i do see PASM (active suspension) for $2090. Is that it?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Here you go, Grant
MikenOH - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 9:40:26 pm
grant
The only X73 i could come up with is a 996TT optional "ROW" lowered suspesion. veru much like the ROW M030, it consists of stiffer, matched, springs, dampers and sway bars that lower the car 20mm and stiffen it by (an unknown margin since dampers are not linear).

Maybe there is a new X73 that is different, but you need to get the porsche description. PASM is adjustable. Its complex, but allows the best of both worlds. X73 or ROW M030 is quite rough. My take is that neither is required unless you plan to AutoX or track the car. In fact, on rough roads it will likely yield reduced grip, since the tires may not be in contact with the road at all times.

If you look here, i see no X73 option:

[autos.yahoo.com]

but i do see PASM (active suspension) for $2090. Is that it?

Grant

[www.suncoastparts.com]
..Which means, for Joanne, this its likely not a great idea unless you wish to use the car for competition, and are prepared to endure a significantly harsher ride.

Grant

Grant

I'm not aware of a sports package.

There is a Sport Button that will sharpend throttle response. It is standard on all 981's

There are a few options that will change the handling of the car. Here's what they are along with the price for each:

PASM - Porsche Active Suspension Management - lowers the car by about 0.39 inches and allows a softer setting for rough roads or cruising and sports setting for stiffened suspension, better for corning. (I think this is the option you've tried since it's the only one that you can adjust while driving.) $1,790

There's the Sports Suspension which lowers the car by about 0.79 inches with stiffer suspension. This one can not be adjusted. $1,235.

PTV: Porsche Torque Vectoring - which applies braking to the inside rear wheel in a corner when needed for improved control in corners. (This one can only be ordered with PASM or the Sports Suspension.) $1,320

Sport Chrono - with active transmission mounts that adjust as needed in corners. This includes a stop watch in the middle of the dash. It has a Sport Plus button, that sharpens the throttle response (Even more than the standard Sport Button). (This is the only option of these four that changes the throttle response.) $1,850.

Hope that helps.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Purchase/delivery time
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 17 February, 2013, at 7:21:29 pm
A friend who was making inquiries about ordering a car was told that it was still possible to get an April production car ordered. That would be a late May or early June delivery. So 4 months sounds about right for order to delivery time.
Sounds like the PASM setup
MikenOH - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 9:06:50 am
A button puts it in normal (softer than stock suspension) or sport (stiffer than stock); the sport button raises the throttle response. IIRC, if the car is equipped with sport chrono (the chrono on the dash) by pressing the sport button you goose the throttle response as well as put the suspension into sport mode.

Not sure if you've seen this site but it does have some good info on the various options:
[www.porsche.com]
Here's the option I was looking at
Joanne in OC - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 10:38:51 am
From Guenter's response, this is the option I was looking at:
Sport Chrono - with active transmission mounts that adjust as needed in corners. This includes a stop watch in the middle of the dash. It has a Sport Plus button, that sharpens the throttle response (Even more than the standard Sport Button). (This is the only option of these four that changes the throttle response.) $1,850.

I've tried going to some of the sites, but they get to technical for me. ..... We don't have country roads around here for me to take a test drive on it. But, I was planning to go to the dealer in Riverside and there are a few roads around there I can try. That's a great excuse for me to get to drive the car again (have to get a "fix" occasionally since I don't have my car).

BTW, my accident was in Oct and still not settled. Had to speak with attorneys last week. Still haven't decided on which attorney to use.

Joanne
In my opinion...
grant - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 11:45:19 am
Sport chrono is a farce. All it does, aside from providing a timer, is to change the response of the throttle and stiffens the mounts. Mounts is good - but ONLY on the track. Throttle travel? For heavens sake, push on the pedal more. $1800 for a clock? Methinks not.

That's what i call a "fat wallet option".

Pass.

And seriously think thrice about the X73 struts unless you plan to become a track rat.

Grant

Grant

Good advise....IMO *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 18 February, 2013, at 12:23:55 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
When I did test drives in 2000, Rusnak let me drive on the twisty roads above the Rose Bowl. Maybe they will let you drive on the Pasadena Freeway (that would be my top pick)?

Power has PCH or take Newport Coast (from PCH) to Pelican Hill Rd.
It's different from 2000 to now
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 19 February, 2013, at 11:08:17 am
Tony .... Times have changed. When I ordered my 99 Boxster, Newport through me the keys and said "be back in 30 min". Now, they have a designated route and they won't let you go with a friend, the sales person has to be with you. When I was at Gaudin in Las Vegas, I had my granddaughter with me. Being is young and I could not leave her in the showroom, they let me take her on the test drive but they gave me specific directions on where to drive. ..... Most of the routes are right turns.

BTW, McKenna did let me drive on the freeway, but there was alot of traffic so I never got out of 3rd gear sad smiley

At Pacific in Torrance, the sales rep recognized me from Newport. He remembered me ordering my car in '98 and some of the problems and delays with the order. I ended up not buying my car from because of all the problems. He was much nicer this time. I think he knew this time that I wasn't just wasting his time and I really did want to buy.
Grant

Joanne, I sent you a private message.
Tony in Whittier - Wednesday, 20 February, 2013, at 9:07:26 pm
I just found out that her last name is Larsson, not Lawson that I wrote on the PM.
You aren't getting the sissy transmission, I hope cool smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 19 February, 2013, at 12:22:55 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
No I'm not..... I'm getting the manual *NM*
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 19 February, 2013, at 10:33:36 pm
What color combos and options are you looking at?
Might try searching here:

Porsche Dealer Locator

+1...
Rick (Nashville, TN) - Friday, 22 February, 2013, at 10:07:26 pm
Joanne,

When I was shopping for a Cayman last year, I utilized this same search feature (mentioned by Gary) that is found on Porsche's US website, and I was able to find & check every dealership in the country for new and certified pre-owned Caymans. It was incredibly helpful. I ended up finding & buying a pre-owned CPO'd Cayman R and couldn't be happier with it.

Best regards, -rick
Your dealer might be able to make a trade and get you a car that's available elsewhere.
Exactly--there are a lot of cars out there.. *NM*
MikenOH - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 12:56:14 pm
Your Porsche dealer should be able to do a search of what's available.

You could also, from the Porsche website, check dealer websites for Boxsters they have in stock.

If you post the colour/option combo you're looking for, I'm sure that people on the forum would be willing to do a search of dealers in their area. I know I'd be happy too, but don't think you'd want to pay Canadian pricing. Wouldn't want you getting gray hair. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 01:12PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Our BMW was ordered late January, it was a March production and delivered beginning of May.
We ordered the 981 the last week in September and picked it up the day before Thanksgiving--or about 8 weeks. What cut down in time was that the Dealer--Penske-- had several cars to be built for inventory, that were already scheduled for production but had not been locked in yet. By just re-configuring one car to our specs, they reduced delivery time from the more typical 3-4 months to only 2.
I've found that to be the rule rather than the exception.....

Color combo - dark blue, gray interior w/black top
Joanne in OC - Saturday, 23 February, 2013, at 10:18:47 pm
They did a search and the closest car to me is in No Cal, but it didn't have any options on it. There was another car in Connecticut, but the dealer said they won't go that far because of the cost.

When I went to Gaudin Porsche in Vegas (I liked them the best of all the dealers I've been to), he told me it would be 2 months. It's all the other dealers that are telling me 4 months. I haven't contacted him to ask more questions yet. Still doing my research. Some of the research is fun - like the drivnig. I don't like the sales people though. I'm beginning to learn how to deal with them. .... Actually, knowing that a blue car is not available has been to my advantage because they don't have a car there to sell me.
Re: Color combo - dark blue, gray interior w/black top
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 23 February, 2013, at 10:42:27 pm
If the car won't come to you, you could go to the car. Just a thought. If the car in Connecticut is what you're looking for, you never know what kind of deal you could make. Might be worth the flight. On the other hand, maybe 2 months works for you.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: Color combo - dark blue, gray interior w/black top
MikenOH - Sunday, 24 February, 2013, at 11:57:54 am
My experience with dealers was:
-High volume dealers were more likely to deal off sticker, have inventory already in the pipeline and give more accurate info about the car and how various options functioned.
-Low volume dealers seemed to conduct themselves --on the whole--a bit more straight forwardly, for better or worse. Had two smaller dealers in the state essentially tell me to call the dealerships that were closer to where they thought I lived, because they didn't think I was serious about buying from them ( I was amazed).
Re: Thanks guy ..... I'll take your advice and save $1800 smiling smiley
Roger987 - Tuesday, 19 February, 2013, at 1:40:41 pm
I think the consensus is sport chrono isn't worth it. I have sport chrono on my 987, and agree. It's largely a gimmick.

BUT, I also have PASM, and I like it A LOT. For me, money spent on PASM (as contrasted with sport chrono) is worth it.
Roger987
I think the consensus is sport chrono isn't worth it. I have sport chrono on my 987, and agree. It's largely a gimmick.

BUT, I also have PASM, and I like it A LOT. For me, money spent on PASM (as contrasted with sport chrono) is worth it.

I don't really agree it is a gimmick. Probably not worth the money on a manual - but does have advantages with PDK. The Porsche website says: "Comprising: dynamic transmission mounts, analogue and digital stopwatch, SPORT PLUS button on centre console, even sportier tuning of throttle response and systems such as PSM, PASM, sports performance shift indicator on the TFT display in the instrument cluster (for manual gearbox only).Additionally in conjunction with PDK: Activation of the ‘Launch Control’ function (racing start) and motorsport-derived gearshift strategy by SPORT PLUS button, additional SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Launch Control display on the steering wheel.

In effect it, other than the throttle, it also modifies the software int he PDK gearbox to provide higher and crisper shift points in the Sport Plus position. It also provides lauch control - pretty wothless unless you are a drag racer.
boxsterg - Friday, 22 February, 2013, at 3:15:40 pm
Not a gimmick but instead a matter of preference. It you get the PDK then it opens up features such as launch control. If you select the manual, it becomes useful for enhance throttle response and you have to drive it the way it is designed. All of my cars have been manual until I purchased a Panamera. I prefer manual but I still buy the Sport Chrono for those occasions when I want a more spirited driving. I can feel the difference when I engage that Sport Chrono button. The WART or clock as some state is just a minor portion of the Sport Chrono feature. In fact, it really does help in the resale of the car as many look for that feature when buying the car. It is likely why Porsche began to offer the feature as an add on later.
Is it worth $1800, that is purely your decision. This has been debated many times.

GLWP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login