Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Driver's Window Moving Up and Down on It's Own
SPG356 - Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, at 7:10:19 pm
Guys,

'98 Boxster 5 speed, 111,000 miles.

Cold morning here in Michigan, however I drive my car year round. When I got in the car this morning and started it, the driver's window was going up and down about a quarter of an inch and the door lights were on. The only way to get it to stop was by pressing the window switch up. The window would stop for a bit before going again, but the door lights never went off. When I got to my destination, the window stopped but the door lights stayed on so I removed the bulbs. Then periodically through the day, the window would click up and down even with the ignition off.

On top of that the doors will not lock.

(cross posted early this morning on Renntech, but with no responses yet)

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Sebastian
You also may be experiencing difficulty getting the ignition key out.

The part is available at an Audi dealer.
Guenter in Ontario
You also may be experiencing difficulty getting the ignition key out.

The part is available at an Audi dealer.

Hi Guenter,

Really?!! I would never have put the two together. I replaced the electrical portion a couple of years ago for another odd electrical issue and will now do that again.

I have no problem taking the key out, but that was an issue the first time.

Thanks so much,

Sebastian
The electronic portion causes all kinds of different seemingly unrelated electronic issues. A friend's 996 had passenger door refuse to stay locked, parking lights wouldn't turn off, headlights wouldn't turn on. Replaced the ignition switch and everything was back to normal.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Those are not ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 20 March, 2013, at 1:46:34 pm
... general symptoms of a bad ignition switch, since the windows are not powered directly by the switch as are the lights, radio, A/C, etc.
These symptoms sound like a bad Central Locking Unit (CLU), which is the black box under the driver's seat.
You'll have to pull it out and see if it's wet. Generally the carpets behind the seat would be damp if the CLU is wet.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
It could also be a faulty door microswitch
Boxsterra - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 6:58:33 pm
They are known to be flaky on the early Boxsters. Unfortunately, they are "protected" by this plastic housing.

Agree, having seen 5-6 failures of the switch....
grant - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 8:04:36 pm
.. its always a partial or intermittent open, most frequently of accessories, but very strange things can happen when, for example, it turns of a circuit that drives the immobilizer or something (happened on a C4 audi - what fun to diagnose)

But strange up and down motions? Blinking lights? No.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
and when the door locks started locking on their own with the door lock LED lighting up and when the passenger window would not not drop when I opened the door or worse would drop then come up once the door was open the cause was diagnosed as a bad passenger door lock assembly.

The tech hooked up a diagnostics computer and pulled the security system controller error codes and ran a few tests and confirmed the problem was with the door lock assembly and not something else.

Pedro covered it but I'll touch upon it too: Be sure in your car's case the water drains are clear and there is no signs of dampness of the floor and door trip carpets. The door can collect water and this can cause all sorts of odd behavior starting at the affected door but if left alone will start showing up at more distant areas.
Not wet beneath the seats
SPG356 - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 9:39:30 pm
The car is bone dry beneath the seats, I take Marc's good advice and clear out the drain holes twice a year since it is driven year round.

I did buy a new ignition switch from the local dealer, but they are only a mile from home and will let me return it, so no worries there.

So, what next? I suppose the CLU could still go bad without getting wet. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,

Sebastian
Any suggestions?...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 9:46:11 pm
... yes.
Hook up a PST-II, PIWIS or Durametric unit to the car and with that you'll be able to determine where the fault is.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Thnaks Pedro, I have a Durametric...
SPG356 - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 12:03:34 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... yes.
Hook up a PST-II, PIWIS or Durametric unit to the car and with that you'll be able to determine where the fault is.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Which system should I check?

Regards,

Sebastian
I don't know the Durametric ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 12:29:00 pm
... software, but with the Porsche System Testers you can actuate every single component.
So, you can operate the windows, open any of the interlock microswitches, etc.
You'll have to go system per system until you find the one that doesn't work.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: I don't know the Durametric ...
SPG356 - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 12:41:45 pm
Will do Pedro, thanks.

Sebastian
to reset everything and guest what it worked. Cheap fix if it works for you too. Since I took the terminals off, I cleaned everything and put the charger (low setting) on the battery overnight. FYI: You will need the radio code since it will be reset too.

Good luck,

Carlos
Thanks Carlos, I will do that if my Durametric doesn't give me any codes.

Regards,

Sebastian
... what's wrong right off the bat.
It's not like you have an OBDII error.
You'll have to start actuating each component with the computer to try to find the one which doesn't work.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login