Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
WOO HOO!!! It's finally ordered MY 2014 smiling smiley smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 2:22:34 am
I finally ordered my new Boxster. I was informed 2 days ago that I could order a 2014 for the same price as the 2013. That was a no-brainer, so that's what I did. Only thing is that it gives me a June build, should have the car by end of July (my birthday) or early August. I'm hoping I'm going to have a very nice birthday this year smiling smiley

Here is what I ordered:
Dark blue metallic, with gray interior and black top
Premium package
Infotainment package with BOSE system
18" wheels
Wheel caps with color Porsche crest
Bi-xeon headlights with PDLS
Light design package
Multi-function steering wheel
Leather package
Power sport seats (14 way)

It seemed like I had to do a lot of research but "I think" I ordered what I wanted. ..... I ended up ordering from Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas. It was so difficult to get dealers around here (So Cal) to give me a little attention and answer questions. It was incredible to see the difference when I went alone and when I brought a guy with me. ...... I don't think summer is going to get here soon enough.

Joanne

BTW, I got a 6.5% discount.
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Good for you smiling bouncing smiley
MikenOH - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 8:17:22 am
Sounds like a nice car; you'll love it!
Re: WOO HOO!!! It's finally ordered MY 2014 smiling smiley smiling smiley
db997S - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 9:03:04 am
Buying out of state is a great way to get acquainted with your new car, but don't forget that on your drive back home to vary the RPMs. Six hours of 2,300 rpms in sixth gear is not the way to break in an engine. You don't have to speed to do it--imagine lots of speed traps between SoCal and Vegas--just drop it a gear or two from time to time. Also, maybe exit to work all the gears every once in awhile if there are no lights. You might want to rethink options and get the ventilated seats for the topdown drive home. I'd imagine that Nevada in June to pretty darn hot, even if you left in the evening. Enjoy it. I've purchased two of my three Porsches from out of my area--both from CT in the late fall. DC area dealers sound the same as SoCal. Too much money, not enough inventory, but Vegas is still hurting from the housing bubble. My last purchase in 2009 was all accomplished via the Internet and FedEX, and it was easier with a better experience than doing it in person at my local dealer. I hate that crap of sitting at the sales guy's desk while he pretends to talk with the sales manager. Even at the depths of the auto industry crash and recession, DC-area dealers were not in the mood to deal.
Congratulations!
Laz - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 10:46:00 am
Some comments and questions:

A 2014! Wow! Just this week a friend asked me about going to the NY Auto Show... I hadn't even thought about it until hearing from him. Last year I enthusiastically organized five other people to go. Now it's a year later. Amazing.

It's a shame there's still plenty of sexism in how car salesmen treat women. One would hope they would realize that a woman buying a Porsche sports car is likely highly motivated and perhaps more savvy than at least a few of the men who walk in. I appreciate your writing style: "... but 'I think' I ordered what I wanted." It speaks to the problematic Porsche item availability.

You didn't mention which transmission; PDK or manual? (I put no judgement on your choice either way.)
Do you know if you'll be getting lighted vanity mirrors?
Do you know if leather package covers (literally) the otherwise silver finish center console trim?

Again, congratulations. It's gonna be a great ride home.
Re: Congratulations!
db997S - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 2:11:28 pm
I'm guilty of the sexism thing, to an extent. The other day I saw an all black Cayman S, lowered with black wheels, tinted windows, and definitely a stick (could tell by the parallel parking). I was surprised when a young, attractive female got out of the driver's seat. Something had guy written all over that car to me. Sorry, if I just offended any women. I thought that all car salesmen knew that females make the majority of car purchasing decisions in this country.
Preconceptions
Laz - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 3:19:26 pm
Funny that you mention the surprise with the driver of the Cayman. Last week my neighbor had a visitor who had a black Dodge Charger, a "masculine" looking car if there ever was one. I didn't see the person until she was leaving. Admittedly, she looked a bit butch, not that there's anything wrong with that.
How about this other mis-conception?
Tony in Whittier - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 4:15:52 pm
In California real estate, the percentage of female buyers rose again in 2012 to 53 percent, compared to 48 percent last year. However, this has declined from 58 percent in 2007, the highest levels in the history of the Survey (C.A.R. survey).

The survey further suggests that females are impacted more negatively in the workplace by the Great Recession.
Of course I got the MANUAL Transmission smiling smiley
Joanne in OC - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 4:15:16 pm
When I bought my first Boxster, I was told "you never put an automatic in a Porsche" ..... I've enjoyed the manual transmission. I've driven the other and dont' like it as well, just don't feel like I have enough power or control.

When my granddaughter was 6 years old, she turned off the radio and told me "go faster". I was sitting on the strip in Vegas, couldn't go very fast, so just down shifted and the engine rev'd ...... Her eyes just lit up. Could not have done it without the manual.

Joanne
Re: Of course I got the MANUAL Transmission
Laz - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 5:34:36 pm
Well, PDK is a long way from the old slushboxes, and Launch Control could satisfy the dragster temptation. That said, manual transmission is still more in line with the traditional Porsche quality of driver involvement and driver-vehicle communication. For that matter, the e-steering, while losing perhaps the nth degree of sensitivity (yes, another great Porsche quality,) its "real world" imbuement of directional stability under severe braking is a huge plus. ("μ-split steering torque recommendation" )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2013 05:36PM by Laz. (view changes)
My lack of knowledge
Joanne in OC - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 7:39:18 pm
LOL .... OK, but I don't really understand all the tech stuff smiling smiley

I enjoy the manual trasmission and feel of it all. With all the tech stuff getting better, I can actually feel the differences, but have no idea how to explain it other than SMILE and enjoy.

I do have to say, having all of you here to help with my lack of knowledge is such a benefit in many ways. You are all such a great resource and helpful with my questions. This has been true since 1999 when I first learned of the community. ..... The many times that I don't understand, someone is always willing to lower the terms to my level so I understand.

Thanks
Joanne
Re: My lack of knowledge
Laz - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 9:02:26 pm
Hmmm, I thought my post was more ontological rather than epistemological. (Dare I say, toward the feminine rather than masculine.) Going by what you wrote, you know what really counts.
I could always use a dictionary
Joanne in OC - Saturday, 23 March, 2013, at 5:34:43 pm
But it's much easier to ask all of you -)
Re: WOO HOO!!! It's finally ordered MY 2014 smiling smiley smiling smiley
Post Falls Rob - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 11:55:45 am
Congrats! I enjoyed following your journey to a new Boxster. I hope to see some pics of it being delivered to you as well. Enjoy!smileys with beer
Before we were married, I'd go along with my wife when she was looking for a car just to listen, but it was more than a little disconcerting how the salesmen would talk to me rather than her. I had to tell one guy to start directing his comments to my wife since she was going to write the check.
Re: WOO HOO!!! Indeed smiling smiley smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 2:57:29 pm
It's been quite a trip so far. That extra time worked out really well for you, being able to get a one year newer car for the same price.

Can't wait to see pictures when you get your car. Dark blue with grey interior sounds like a gorgeous combo.

....now comes the next difficult time ........the wait. but it will be worth it.

Contratulations and hope you get it on your birthday. cool smiley
Come to think of it...
Laz - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 6:00:18 pm
does anyone know of a female Porsche salesperson?
A female auto salesperson anywhere?
Re: Come to think of it...
Roger987 - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 8:10:41 pm
I think the PC term is 'Automotive Saleschick". grinning smiley

And yes, I've met a couple - one of whom was very good (BMW/Mini). Although, last I heard, she was off on maternity leave,
An enlightened dealership would also give
Laz - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 9:06:43 pm
paternity leave to a father.

And the Mini is a chick car, isn't it?
Re: An enlightened dealership would also give
Roger987 - Saturday, 23 March, 2013, at 11:22:55 am
To clarify, by 'couple' I meant a couple of saleswomen, as contrasted with a man and woman couple at the same dealership.

The woman's husband might indeed be on paternity leave as well.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 22 March, 2013, at 9:38:44 pm
I bought our Lexus SUV from a very attractive female SA. Found out her father was a law school classmate of mine - boy do I feel OLD. BTW, her second car was a 911!
jwdbox - Saturday, 23 March, 2013, at 11:15:18 am
Laz
does anyone know of a female Porsche salesperson?
A female auto salesperson anywhere?
I bought SilverBox from a very capable salesperson, who happened to be a female smiling smiley , at Gaudin Porsche in Las Vegas. cool smiley
Congratulations!
SMILIN - Saturday, 23 March, 2013, at 6:11:16 pm
And thanks for sharing the details of your purchase.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I'm hoping .... but it's not looking good
Joanne in OC - Monday, 25 March, 2013, at 7:55:53 pm
I still can't get a room..... I called Switzerland Inn. They said I am very far down on the list and they don't think I will get a room. I'm not going to make flight reservations until I have a confirmed room. If they call me at the last minute, I may not be able to get flight reservations or get off work. Basically, there's no room at the Inn sad smiley

I'm still hoping something will change.

If I don't make it this year, then I'll call the same weekend and make reservations for next year. They told me that's what I should do.
Joanne
Congrats Joanne...............Anthony *NM*
atwnsw - Tuesday, 26 March, 2013, at 2:59:10 pm
Anthony ..... It's so great to see you here!!!!
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 26 March, 2013, at 5:30:27 pm
It's been awhile since we've been in touch. I hope your doing well.

I heard the Nurse Practitioner will be leaving the Cystic Fibrosis Center here, I'm hoping I might be able to go back as an NP. I really miss the community alot.

Joanne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login