Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Paging Laz--118 ft. lb. wheel lug torque setting on 981?
MikenOH - Thursday, 2 May, 2013, at 11:39:42 am
I've got a track day tomorrow and after consulting the manual saw the rather high number for the wheel torque setting. When I put a wrench on the lugs they were all in the 90-100ft lb range, so technically they were all loose. I can see a few that might be low coming from the factory but all 20?
Have you checked yours by chance? This number seems a bit high relative to the 987.1. I 've sent a text into the dealer on this.
.. and we use that number for all P-cars in NNJR track tech (from SCs and 944s through GT-Xs). We certainly adjust for BMW/Audi/Etc (typically 86-88 lb-ft).

118 sounds very high. But if that's what they now call for, iwant to know ASAP.

Are you certain it is not n-m? Converting that to SAE results in the magic 88 lb-ft (more or less)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
The manual on pg. 212 says:

" tightening torque for wheels bolts: 160NM (118 ft.lb.)"

I'm thinking of doing 100 ft.lb--the dealer will have a tech at the event so we'll talk about it.

I really don't want to over tighten because at the temps the brakes get on the track the rotors could warp.

I've had new cars that have had one or two lugs loosen between delivery and when I start switching tires, but i've never had one where all 20 lug nuts were 20+ft. lbs below the factory rating. Makes me think this is an error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 12:47PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Last year, Porsche revised ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 2 May, 2013, at 1:02:11 pm
... the recommended torque settings for lug bolts.
All standard lug bolts (up to 2012) should now be set at 100 lb-ft (previous was 96 lb-ft).
All new lug bolts (black on 991 and 981 -Boxster/Cayman) should now be set at 118 lb-ft.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
thank you!!!!!!
grant - Thursday, 2 May, 2013, at 1:51:35 pm
did they plan to tell us? Sheesh. Pete Tremper was on the line at our last event - never mentioned anything. Assume he didn't know. or didnt notice.

Grant

Grant

Thanks Pedro. Why would this change?
Bobtesa - Friday, 3 May, 2013, at 8:49:35 am
If I understand this correctly, "old" bolts with previous specs of 96 pounds should now be 100 pounds. Why the change?

And, "new" bolts should be 118 pounds. It sounds as if the new bolts are different than the old bolts. So they can take more torque? But, what does it mean to have different torque for essentially the same car and wheels? It sounds like it has something to do with the composition of the bolts themselves. In particular, if the new bolts can take more torque, and IF this is better, might it be reasonable (for safety?) to replace my 987 bolts with "new" bolts? Can anyone shed light on this?

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Twofold reasons ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 3 May, 2013, at 9:39:07 am
... for the change.

The first, on traditional bolts going from 96 lb-ft to 100 lb-ft is probably for added safety reasons.
As the hardware (bolt, conical or spherical washer and wheel) gets older, things get a bit more settled-in and could allow for movement, so it's just a safety measure.
I had also heard that someone trying to set a torque wrench at 96 lb-ft could make a mistake easier than when setting it at 100 lb-ft.

The second reason is due to metallurgy.
The composition of the new (black) lugbolts found on the 991, 981 and C981 is different, requiring a bit more torque to stretch, therefore the 118 lb-ft recommended.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
But we must separate issues...
grant - Saturday, 4 May, 2013, at 9:09:30 am
New metalurgy does not apply to older, deployed cars.

The 981/991 spec is what it is. I still have questions about changing the spec to 100 lb-feet on older cars.

Of course, 4 lb-ft is within the margin of error of most torque wrenches and their (mis) use.

I plan to speak to Pete Tremper, and to Paul Miller porsche Monday.

I wonder how much of this is due to the center lock fiasco.

Grant

Grant

118 it is.
Laz - Thursday, 2 May, 2013, at 2:28:07 pm
Did my winter / summer wheel change a couple days ago, and that's what the manual says. Just finished lunch at Cipriani in Grand Central. Sat next to a bunch of German guys... had I known I would've dopple-checked with them.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: 118 it is.
MikenOH - Thursday, 2 May, 2013, at 8:42:42 pm
A thread on the Planet 9 board confirmed that this new torque number was standard on the 2012 CR.
TimD - Saturday, 4 May, 2013, at 3:10:53 pm
The manual for my 2012 base Cayman delivered in July 2011 calls for 118 ft lbs.
TheFarmer - Friday, 3 May, 2013, at 9:14:56 pm
And I thought the Cipriani was in Venice (or actually Torcello in the lagoon...)
Cipriani Dolci in Grand Central Terminal:
Laz - Saturday, 4 May, 2013, at 12:04:12 pm
CDGCT
Like sitting at a Boulevard Saint-Germain café, a great place to watch the world go by.

And a nice place to stay when in LA:
MrC
(Actually well south of the hoity-toity part of Beverly Hills.)

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login