Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Poll on Repair/Replacement Soft Rear Window
BarryL - Wednesday, 22 May, 2013, at 12:10:40 am
I have two rips in my soft rear window. For those who have repaired or replaced your soft rear window...

1. Did you repair with another soft window? Cost?
2. Did you replace with glass? Source and Cost?
3. Are you happy with your repair/replacement?

Thanks for your input!

BarryL
2002 Boxster Base $163K
Agree with this post. I wasted $500 on a replacement plastic, only to have it rip again a year later. Finally caved and had the GAHH top with glass window installed. IMHO, if you plan to keep the car for any considerable period of time, spend the extra money and go glass. Cost approx. $1200.
Cost $600.

Heavy plastic. Seems to have aged well but is getting a bit dim. The plastic needs to be cleaned on the inside I think but due to painful shoulders I have not been able to do this. But I will attempt it soon.

The only thing I didn't like about the job was the old plastic window was cut out but the border left in the canvas. The new window was sewn in and now there are two lines of stitching around the opening. Also, the border of the old window has left an elevated ridge around the opening.

While the above is true it is more a psychological issue than a real issue. The new/replacement window has been water tight, aged well, and performed as well as the OE plastic.

When the time comes to replace the replacement window I'll see about having another window sewn in. The alternative is to have the canvas top replaced. The rubber sheeting under neath is ok and not leaking. Oh, I never put the top down so the top does not get any wear from being lowered/raised.

The tops with the glass replacement window do not interest me.
Has anyone done either a plastic only replacement or full glass replacement top in the NJ/Philly area? I have a 2000 Boxster and the plastic window is showing its age

Thanks all.

Andrew.
Re: Poll on Repair/Replacement Soft Rear Window
thom4782 - Wednesday, 22 May, 2013, at 10:42:38 am
Replaced soft window after 10 years. Cost ~ $500 and the shop took 1/2 day to do the work. Works great. Clear and no leaks after 2 years. The trick is to find a shop with a great reputation for quality work. Good luck. PS: My understanding is that the glass top replacements look and work great but they restrict access to the engine compartment b/c the glass top doesn't fold as high in the service position as the plastic one does.
AndyInNYC - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 1:11:04 pm
Can someone in the Central NJ/Philadelphia area suggest an shop to replace the rear plastic in my 2000 Boxster? I have 'suggested installers' for a replacement top with glass, but I want to look at some comparisons. I know people have had this done, but I can't find the links that were local to me.

Along the same lines, can someone suggest a reputable, but non wallet gouging, installer for a new/with glass top in my area?

Regards,

Andrew
Post Falls Rob - Wednesday, 22 May, 2013, at 11:28:45 am
1. Yes. $475
2. N/A
3. Yes...although if I had the opportunity to do it again, I would've replaced the canvas as well.
BarryL - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 10:53:35 pm
I was hoping that one solution was prodominately favored over another. My thoughts on GAHH replacement is that it would be nice not to get out of the car to chop everytime I wanted to put the top down but I had heard the window size was smaller. But everyone responding to the poll seems to be happy with the solution they went with. Thanks for taking the time to respond... I have a decision to make here.

BarryL
2002 Boxster base 164K
Dublin, CA
I replaced mine with a complete 2003 top from a recycler in NJ. That way I get (imo) better lines and more visibility. With Maurice's instructions and help via telephone it was a simple job, only took a couple hours as I recall. Cost was about $1200 including truck freight. Last time I checked tops were more expensive but prices fluctuate. I saw them for $700-$800 when I didn't need one. :-)

Good luck.

Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 12:47AM by Al in Melbourne Beach. (view changes)
After 10 years (2 years ago), we noticed a leak in the lower corner on the passenger side.
The middle (where it folds) was also showing signs of stress.

Pics of the cracks (click on any of the images for a larger version):
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]

Got a replacement top and was planning on installing it the next Spring.
As a temporary fix, we mended the cracks with E6000 goop ($5 at Home Depot).
Two years later, the temp "fix" is still holding.

We will eventually put the new top on, but hey...most of the time, the soft top is down.
As for the Winter, the hardtop is on so we don't even see the plastic.

So...if you can put up with it, this is a pretty cheap quick fix to hold you over until you can't stand to look at it any more :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 07:50AM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
I replaced mine at a local upholstery shop in 2004 for ~$600 and when it split again in 2012, I bought an entire top and frame from a well maintained, garaged, hard top equiped Boxster that was converting to a Spec Racer. I paid ~$400 for the entire top & frame and swapping the frame is a pretty simple DIY when compared to retrofting a new top, plastic or glass, on a existing frame. Check to see if there are any spec racing groups in your area.
I chose the GAHH w/glass
bar10dah - Sunday, 9 June, 2013, at 4:13:16 am
$925 and 6 hours of my own time since I did the install myself. Very happy with the results. The glass is smaller than the plastic, but I didn't have a single problem with rear visibility through it. In fact, looking through the rearview mirror, there's no reduction in vertical field of view, and only a minor reduction in horizontal. For my seating position/rearview mirror alignment, the glass rear window lines up almost perfectly with the rearview mirror.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2013 04:20AM by bar10dah. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login