Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
In my previous thread, I ruled out spark plug tubes for the cause of an oil leak (recent slowish leak from passenger side, front portion of engine).

I now have a new candidate, but I don't know what it is.

Here are some views from the front access panel of the engine compartment (where you would be working if you were replacing the belt). It looks to be coming from a large nut holding some electrical device onto the valve cover. I don't know what the device is, but when I pulled away the rubber boot, it was soaked in oil underneath.

[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

And some more views from the top/main engine access (the parts that are only slightly wet from oil were wetted by my already wet hands grasping around at things to see what was wet)

[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

The valve cover was removed and replaced by a reputable independent shop as recently as a year ago, and the car has had about 2500 miles put on it since then. The leak seems to have only just become noticable. For what its worth, I do hear a ticking sound from this area of the engine, when it's running.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 01:01PM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
Re: Help identifying source of oil leak (2003 base boxster)
whall - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 6:44:27 pm
It looks like the oil pressure transmitter.

Bill
I'm a little confused
Steve (Morro Bay) - Sunday, 26 May, 2013, at 12:49:09 am
There's no oil pressure gauge on the boxster. Is this just something used by the central computer? I've been thumbing through the bentley book looking for the part on a diagram, but haven't found it.
Ah - I see. Thanks Bill!
Steve (Morro Bay) - Sunday, 26 May, 2013, at 6:01:43 am
Found here, this image [www.pelicanparts.com]

[www.pelicanparts.com]

That's where the sending unit would be if I had one, and instead I have what they call an "emergency switch" (the little thing in the inset of the photo).

Looking up the item there, the switch and sealing ring will run me $4.75. Those are my kind of parts! Somewhere I saw it mentioned that if you work on this, the seal needs to be replaced. Wonder if the indy who worked on mine skipped the seal, or more likely I guess, mine just went out now, unrelated. With such a low price, I'm going to try it. Do you know if there is any special trick to replacing this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 06:18AM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
Re: Ah - I see. Thanks Bill!
whall - Monday, 27 May, 2013, at 9:14:03 pm
Steve,

The main picture in your last post is an oil pressure transmitter for a 911. It has two terminals - one for the oil pressure gauge, the other for the low oil pressure light. The inset picture shows the oil pressure transmitter for a Boxster. It has a single terminal - for the low oil pressure light. I'm not sure what "they" mean by the term emergency switch. Here is the page from Pelican's catalog that addresses the Boxster oil pressure "sender":

[www.pelicanparts.com]

As far as replacing the transmitter goes, I've never done it myself. But it is pretty accessible. Use a 24mm wrench. Remember......righty tightly, lefty loosey.

Bill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 09:20PM by whall. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login