Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Skittish and axle tromp
Laz - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 6:49:00 pm
Couple hours ago: air temp 48. "Cold" tires (GYs with a bit over 18k and good tread.) PASM normal; PSM on; "Sport" map off. Road slightly damp, but no precip at the time. Punched the throttle making an uphill left, and the tail skittered momentarily, but backed off throttle the second it happened. Hmm... going straight up the hill punched the throttle again and for the first time with this car, got axle tromp.
Re: Skittish and axle tromp
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 7:46:58 pm
Hey Laz, nice. You've enjoyed 18k in the 981 already! smiling bouncing smiley Are you sure it was axle tromp? Maybe it was PSM kicking in if the road was slightly damp and cool. Just thinking that with 18k miles, those rears might be starting to wear down/harden and be more prone to slip under acceleration.
Have experienced single wheel spin and tail slip before, in spite of the controls. The tromp was the surprise this time. My 01 Base without any tc would readily tromp in cold and or wet. The 3.4's torque is phenomenal by comparison.
Laz
Have experienced single wheel spin and tail slip before, in spite of the controls. The tromp was the surprise this time. My 01 Base without any tc would readily tromp in cold and or wet. The 3.4's torque is phenomenal by comparison.

I knew you had PTV. Can you feel it kick in or just a light come on? I can imagine you really feel that well over 100 HP difference from the 01.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
No indicator light...
Laz - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 9:48:25 pm
I sometimes wonder what's going on back there-- well, the lsd is fairly mild. I ought to "experiment" more with PSM to better isolate the PTV effects. Also, considering how antsy the 01 got at a much lower threshold, I really can't complain. By the way, the 01 base has a nominal 217, so the hp difference is 98. Having recently driven my old car again, I had a dramatic realization of the hp and torque differences. On the new one, I've activated the "fuel economy change gear" indicator, and when in normal mode* the thing wants me to shift from 5th to 6th at less than 45 mph. That seems to kill some of the car's raison d'ĂȘtre, but the 3.4 motor pulls amazingly well in top gear.

* The reminder triangle icon doesn't operate in Sport mode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 09:55PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: No indicator light...
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 10:20:11 pm
I'm surprised. 45 is pretty low for 6th. How many rpm is that?

Does the OBC show current/instant consumption? The BMW has that readout. Interesting to see how a higher gear often results in poorer fuel economy, specially under any kind of load. I don't see lugging the engine helping fuel economy.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Partial answer
Laz - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 10:54:19 pm
6th makes for a significant mpg increase, and there's no sense of the engine lugging as such; just the usual induction noise changes. On level roads it's fine, and on a local rural parkway (the Taconic) it gets you up hills at 55-60 mph with no problem. I'm in for the night and have an early day tomorrow, so I'll get back to you later with the rpm and OBC stuff in some detail. I reset the consumption right after getting gas the other day and I saw a readout of 31.3 for a few seconds. This was at 40 or so in 5th and a bit of 6th. It's amusing to reset it while going downhill on a highway and seeing, if I correctly recall, something like 60 mpg. The mileage is actually closer to 19k, like 18,8xx. Gotta take a good look at the rear tread depth tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 10:56PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Partial answer
MikenOH - Sunday, 26 May, 2013, at 7:41:21 am
Laz--the GY F1 Asymetric1 tires I had on the 987 rears were down to around 5/32 @ 15K, so unless they've improved the wear characteristics with the new version, you're probably under that.
Having said that, I still had 7/32 on the front with probably 20-25K on the car even with a pretty aggressive alignment--very good wear for a high performance tire.
Another couple parts:
Laz - Tuesday, 28 May, 2013, at 11:16:11 am
In 6th gear, 1800 rpm at 45 mph. Perfectly fine for cruising on level ground.

Driver's rear tire center tread depth is about 6/32s; passenger side at 4.5-5/32s. Vehicle mileage is 18,850, but winter tires were on for about 2500-3000.

Every time the menu's "Consumption" is reset, one sees pretty much "instantaneous" mpg for the first several miles, but there's some other option in there that I haven't used in a while that might set a different parameter. Observation on that is TK.
More detailed trip info
Laz - Tuesday, 28 May, 2013, at 7:00:53 pm
Various trip settings can be accessed by first using the stalk to progress through the right instrument's menu:
Settings; Display; Menu scope; Trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login