Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
How to remove old wheel weight glue/tape?
Bobtesa - Sunday, 9 June, 2013, at 11:52:25 am
I had new tires put on two months ago. I am now in process of taking my wheels off for cleaning and waxing, to clean the wheel wells, and treat the wheel well plastic pieces. I know the installer should have removed the old glue/tape when he removed the old weights while balancing the wheels, but he didn't. I have tried several of my cleaning products to remove the tape residue, but nothing has worked. Short of using a tool and scratching the wheels, is there a product that removes this stuff? Thanks

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Nail Polish Remover
Petroleum Jelly
Toothpaste
Hand Lotion
Hair Spray
Baby Oil (mineral oil)
Vinegar (soak cloth, apply then leave for awhile–even overnight)
Rubbing Alcohol
Windex
Baking Soda & Water Paste (just rub in gently then wipe off with a warm wet cloth)
Lighter Fluid
Kerosene
WD-40 (set for 5 minutes)
Paint Thinner
Rubber Cement Thinner
Artgum Erasers / Pencil Erasers
Peanut Butter
Vegetable Oil / Olive Oil (set for about 2 hours)
Margarine
Cooking Spray
Mayonnaise (leave set for a few hours or overnight)
Goo Gone
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Furniture Polish
Eucalyptus Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Perfume / Aftershave
PVC Pipe Cleaner

For surfaces that you’re afraid to damage, try heating the goo with a hair dryer then wiping off (firmly) with a wet warm & soapy cloth.
Duct Tape (press on goo firmly, life tape up quickly, repeat as needed)
What a list! I'll mix them all up and see what happens smiling smiley

Actually, I like the heat gun (have one) idea. Fortunately, some of the goo is not near the new weights, so I can experiment w/o worrying about loosening up the new wts.

Of course after I posted I realized the easiest thing to do is call a shop to see what they use. Whatever I end up finding out and testing, I'll post the results.
old wheel weight tape and the SM said the next time I bring the car in he'll have the in house detailer clean up the wheels. Says he has something that really works. I should have gone out and asked him what he uses but it never crossed my mind. In fact now that I think about it the techs should have something that works too. They have to clean a spot off when they balance the wheel/tire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login