Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Loctite and grease: imperfect together?
grant - Monday, 15 July, 2013, at 1:24:54 pm
Collective tech heads:

When i put my drive-shafts back, the bolts had a good amount of CV grease on them. Since you run them through the packed joint, its pretty unavoidable.

Any idea ho loctite (blue) works with that? I saw no evidence of loctite, and it was getting messier by the moment with the driveshaft deep in the chassis, so i omitted locking compound. Rather i torqued them and then came back the next day (its still sitting on blocks awaiting gear oil and a few parts and likely will be for a week) and re-torqued them.

What is your experience?

Does loctite work if mixed with grease? What does one do in this situation? Check every dozen track days?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
But, I may be wrong. Don't always trust what you read on the internet.
It would nto surprise me *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 16 July, 2013, at 8:23:59 am
Grant

Here's Loctite's Threadlocker Blue 242 tech data sheet
Laz - Tuesday, 16 July, 2013, at 10:18:36 am
It fills voids, but doesn't mention expansion, or adhesion as such, for that matter. Could've missed it though.
[www.loctiteproducts.com]
free of grease and oil and dirt. Loctite sets up in the absence of air (oxygen) and is essentially a glue. Most glues require clean surfaces to adhere to.

BTW, I see no mention in the instructions in the removing or installing the half shafts to use grease or any thread locking compound.
OWners manual does nto specify it, but
grant - Tuesday, 16 July, 2013, at 7:15:13 pm
I've seen these things back out at the track and its not pretty. Thought i recalled many of "you" suggesting it (not necessarily you Marc).

So i'm a bit paranoid.

Grant

Grant

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
installed by someone who decided a torque wrench and its proper use was just overkill. Or for other reasons. (I heard of one car owner whose car lost a wheel and crashed because the tire shop failed to torque the wheel lug nuts down properly. What happened was the car (a Vallelunga) had different size lug nuts on the front and rear wheels. The tech used the same socket to remove the fronts as worked for the rears. When he put the lug nuts back on the fronts rattled like they usually do but the noise was from the socket spinning on the now rounded off nuts. The nuts were not properly torqued. And sure enough after not too many miles of driving the nuts worked loose and and front wheel came off and the car went sideways into a tree.)
Nice. Yet another reason i do my own work.
grant - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 12:07:59 pm
Let's see, on this car i found severl bolts over-tightened, two cross threaded.

I've received cars back with some lugs nuts so tight i can barely get them off, adn others that nearly come off at first spin.

I've seen brake pads that were not fully seated (caught this at a pre-track tech,with the embarrassed owner of the shop that did this watching with pain as i pointed it out - pad was rubbing on rotor hat)

I've unfortunately seen several wheels fall off at the track - many with spacers (most of those, oddly, on the rear whels of BMWs). I was also unlucky enugh to see the rear hub seperate on that now-infamous GT3 that lost it past teh bus stop at WG. He was in front of me. (this is the one that finalyl spurred the recall).

Anyway, thanks to both of you. I'd rather be paranoid than careless.

incidentally, while i had a torque wrench on it, due to the angle i had, i did not trust it. So inthe end i did a careful "by feel" - i'm quite good at estimating force and multiplying by the lever arm. For better or worse i have enough hours int he gym to kow well what 20, 25 and 45 lbs feels like :-)

And i double checked every one of them.

now, back to work.

Grant

Grant

Re: Nice. Yet another reason i do my own work.
Petee_C - Friday, 19 July, 2013, at 9:06:00 am
Grant,

When I used to track motorcycles, it was standard procedure to safety wire a lot of "critical fasteners" on race bikes.

My track bike was an old beater that I picked up for cheap, and other than the oil drain plug, I didn't safety wire anything. If you track your boxster a lot, you could put a dab of silicone on the bolt and cv joint as a precaution. The holding power wouldn't be a hole lot as the cv bolts I believe are round vs hex shaped.

Just a thought.

I did my cv joints with a dab of blue loctite, and cleaned the bolt holes as best I could with a rolled up paper towel. I cleaned the bolts in some Shout and water.

My issue was the one band clamp wasn't tight enough and some grease flung out over time. I have since tightened up the clamp more.
And assuming the spacers are used with wheels that don't compensate for offset, isn't there a greater force on the hubs causing them to "want" to move axially away from the spindles?
Let's think about that....
grant - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 7:10:21 pm
The bolts should be lengthened by the same amount as the spacer. So if you use a 10mm spacer, increase the bolt 10mm. You want as much thread, but don't want to bottom out.

I think we are all sick of my low opinion of spacers anyway :-)

As to the added strain - let's think about that. Bolts operate in tension - forcing the wheel against the hub (well, rotor). One force on the wheel is the cornering force at any given moment x radius of the wheel/tire combo. I don't think that changes. But a 2nd force is now applied by the vertical force on the center of the tire, applied at the effective offset (wheel offset plus spacer width). That number does go up. I do nto believe it is as large as the first force, so we're probably mostly ok. of course, no spacer is better in every instance.

Someone check my logic.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 07:10PM by grant. (view changes)
Getting back to the hub-spindle forces thing... or is it the Higgs Boson thing?
There are 3 problems with spacers
grant - Thursday, 18 July, 2013, at 4:56:41 pm
1. in front (steering) suspension it changes geometry and thus scrub radius, which has many negative side effects
2. In all ti changes the lever arm and therefore forces
3. it adds another potential part for movement, dirt, misalignment, etc. etc (all would be well if the world was perfect but it is not, and neither are spacers)

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login