Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2003S vs. 2014S
kmmcdonald - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 3:01:37 pm
We hade decided long ago that when a certain life event was achieved, we would replace our 2003S with a new S. That time has come. We test drove a 2013S, and although the handling and power are easily superior to our 2003S, there are things about the 2013S that we do not care for:

1) The new car implements many gratuitous design accents, such as body creases, lines, and indents where the surfaces of the 2003S are curved and smoothe. To my eye, the 2003S is beautiful, but the 2013 just looks busy and attention-getting. I'm not sure that I even think that it is even attractive (but I wouldn't call it ugly).

2) With the top down, the area around the folded top looks unfinished, whereas with our existing car, it is partially tucked away with most of the mechanicals hidden from view by the articulating matal cover.

3) The interior is busy and seems to implement multiple industrial design concepts, along with gaudy silver trim. There are clashing straight and curved motifs. The interior is less sensual, with many controls being hard to the touch and/or not locatable by touch. By comparison, the 2003S seems to have a consistent design style throughout the cockpit.

4) The shifter is mostly metal with little area being leather-wrapped. The feel reminds me of a Honda S2000 we test drove years ago and passed up in favor of a Boxster. It feels hard and unpleasant in my hand. (Its shifting action is much improved, however.)

5) There has been discussion here of "door thunk." The "door thunk" is not much better than our 2003S.

6) The electronic control panel is a commodity display whose graphics are, again, in conflict with other design styes within the cockpit, and are obviously inoperable without taking eyes off the road. Being an electronic display, it is certainly not sourced by Porsche and may suffer support issues as it becomes obsolete in the future.

But again, the 2014S is clearly a significant technical advance compared to our 2003S. It just does not look and feel as good to us. We'll probably go for it anyway, however, even though the view through the windshield no longer inlcudes gracefully-curved headlight nacelles. It's just these issues are causing me to hesitate.
Re: 2003S vs. 2014S
jpv42 - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 3:59:00 pm
I actually like the 02 S better than the 03. The 03 front looks like a fish mouth to me. I have had both. I have the 03 now and am thinking of finding an 02 front bumper cover and having it installed.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 4:14:36 pm
Just a few observations / comments.

Over the last year, I've gone through the same thought/experiences that you have. I also still don't care for the styling of the mirrors. I love my 987 mirrors much better than on the 981.

I didn't care for the body creases and the side scoops at first either, but after looking at it and studying the 981 over the past year, those features have grown on me. I think to some degree, it's loving something with which you're familiar, like your favourite pair of comfortable shoes. If you bought your Boxster new. You've enjoyed it for 10 years now.

I still absolutely love my 987. It's my fear of not being able to purchase a new Boxster with a manual in the future that's made me do a lot of hard looking, trying out of the new Boxster and finally ordering one. I'd recommend trying out both the Boxster and the Boxster S with different features. I did that on quite a number of occasions. You may find that it grows on you too. I know it has done that for me.

On the other hand, if you drive it on a few occasions and still don't like the new design, I think Laz's point is a good one. You can probably still find a new 2011 or 2012 Boxster out there and even be able to get it at a pretty good deal at this point since the new 981 is selling really well and most people will want the new one, making the older model harder to sell.

Good luck with your decision.

PS, I take it that the "certain life event" that's occurred is a good or even a terrific one. If so, enjoy it and hope you find the car that matches your special event. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 08:56PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
I didn't care for the console at all, nor the gauge pod with the silver background.
The crease where the sill piece meets the rear fender seemed odd, while the reduction in rear view via a smaller window and tinted windblocker, combined with a smaller rear trunk, seemed to be a step in the wrong direction.

Having said all that, after 8 months of ownership, those issues don't cross mind much these days--save not getting my golf clubs in the rear trunk.
The car is an absolute hoot to drive and with regards to styling, this car gets more looks than either our 986 or 987 ever did, combined.
Let's just say that when 911 owners come up and compliment how the car looks, you know Porsche got most of it right.

Best of luck with the new car--you will love it.
MikenOH
I didn't care for the console at all, nor the gauge pod with the silver background.
The crease where the sill piece meets the rear fender seemed odd, while the reduction in rear view via a smaller window and tinted windblocker, combined with a smaller rear trunk, seemed to be a step in the wrong direction.

Having said all that, after 8 months of ownership, those issues don't cross mind much these days--save not getting my golf clubs in the rear trunk.
The car is an absolute hoot to drive and with regards to styling, this car gets more looks than either our 986 or 987 ever did, combined.
Let's just say that when 911 owners come up and compliment how the car looks, you know Porsche got most of it right.

Best of luck with the new car--you will love it.
Ah, but that was a deal breaker for me...cool smiley
MikenOH

I hated the 981 when it came out although it does grow on me now a little. I still think the styling is a big step backward. I can't get past the big black holes on the side -- can't somebody come up with an aftermarket piece so it at least looks like it's finished? As it stands it looks like there's something missing. Overall, however, it's still better looking than cars like the 370Z or the SLK, although that might be damning it with faint praise. The latest change lost ground to the Z4 so I think the Z4 is now better looking. The new Jag is also better looking than the 981, but not better looking than the 987. Again, not really bad but a step in the wrong direction. IMHO the new 911 is now about 1000 times better looking than the 981 or any of the competition. At least it is for those of us who love the smooth curves of the last model. It's like Porsche deliberately crippled the styling of the 981 so it wouldn't outshine the 911. If a 911 owner is complimenting the looks of the 981, I'd say it's more out of sympathy than sincerity.
Black intakes
Laz - Thursday, 18 July, 2013, at 12:42:47 am
If history repeats itself, Porsche will eventually make them body color. A disadvantage then will be if it's a light body color, as the car is used they'll look dirtier than other parts of the car's flanks. Maybe it's a matter of conditioning: dirt on the body panels just aft of the wheel wells is what is inevitable and tolerated on any car; now visible grime in the intakes will have to be accepted, too.
To me, the only objectionable aesthetic feature is the big gap on either side of the downed top. There's also a narrow gap along the tail's top leading edge.
The one and only practical design downside is rear visibility, especially to the right rear.
Overall, the car is certainly an attention getter. I used to get more comments about my CRX than the 01 Boxster, but it's just about nonstop turnaround looks and positive comments from passersby and other drivers. Along with more attention from the general population, the increased attention specifically from women is quite welcome.
Re: Black intakes
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 18 July, 2013, at 8:11:48 am
Interesting about the side intakes. I played around on the configurator with them painted body colour and eventually decided to keep them black on my car. I liked the look better than having them painted. I think the black intakes accentuates them and makes the car look more aggressive.

As far as comments and looks, I still get them with my 987, practically every time I take it out. Both times I returned to the car yesterday - "That is one beautiful car" and "SWEET ride".
paulwdenton. If a 911 owner is complimenting the looks of the 981, I'd say it's more out of sympathy than sincerity.[/quote
;
I don't know , Paul--I've heard heard 911 owners described as a lot of things, but never sympathetic. winking smiley
Frankly, my dear?...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 18 July, 2013, at 11:57:15 am
... me too!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Having driven both "in anger".... (track, autoX, street)
grant - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 8:32:48 pm
I can say, with confidence, the 981 is a far superior car ( and this from the guy building right now a 2000S track car).

Stiffer, more powerful, more economical, better shifting (either PDK vs auto or manual vs manual) more balanced.

note that the general consensus is "really good looking too".

So, i hear your critique that maybe the design is busier and less pure. I think i even agree with you. But in the large, its a much better car.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
m4240z - Wednesday, 17 July, 2013, at 9:27:11 pm
I have an '03, and I have to admit that the 981 was the first Boxster since the 986 that turned my head. The 987 just never did it for me. The 981, on first sighting was right, but when I picked up some new floor mats for my 03, I looked more closely at the 981.

I got the '03 because I was looking for a car that was raw, and reminded me of a friend's 914, and another friends air cooled 911. The new cars are lovely but for what it was going to cost me to upgrade, for not a whole lot of additional driving pleasure that I could actually use on public roads, coupled with the busy nature of the interior, and the very refined air it carries, I'm going to hold off. I actually picked up an Audi A6, keeping the Boxster, and for me, it works out just right. The Audi is luxurious, cosseting, and reasonably nice to drive. The Boxster grabs hold, hangs on, and is alive.

I have yet to drive a 981, and that might change my mind -- so I'm staying away from the Porsche store.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login