Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Coolant tank empty
Ponyrider - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 2:42:41 pm
My 2001 S has coolant leaking from the bottom of the engine and the tank is empty.
Any guess on what happened? Temp never went over 180. 122 k miles.
What should I check, do?
Thanks. Randy
Re: Coolant tank empty
Rob in CO - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 2:49:39 pm
You have to find the source of the leak. My guess is water pump if that has never been replaced. If there were not coolant on the bottom of the engine, I would suspect the tank itself as they are prone to cracking (and a PIA to change.)

I would take the engine covers off (behind seats), fill the tank back up with water and run it very briefly to see if you can spot the leak. Water pump, thermostat, etc. are low on the engine behind he passenger seat. Sounds like you are going to end up doing a full coolant change regardless so messing witht the water/coolant mixture at this point is no big deal.
could be a bad coolant tank and the coolant is just at the bottom of the engine due to gravity.

If you have a pressure test system pressure test the cooling system. A leak that bad I think you should spot (hear?) without much effort.

In cases where there is not an obvious just a suspected leak I suggest a do it yourself poor man's leak test which involves topping up the system with distilled water -- no need to waste anti-freeze at this point -- and then run the engine until hot enough to cause the radiator fans to come on. Some place where you easily work on the car or have it picked up for transport to the shop raise RPMs to 1200 or so and hold until the fans come on. Then shut off the engine. The heat load will raise the coolant temperature and pressure and if there's a leak you'll know it. But you still may not know where it comes from as to the untrained or inexperienced eye a coolant tank gushing coolant could be mistaken for a water pump. However, a water pump seldom gushes coolant. Generally they are noisy and at best, errr make that at their worst drip coolant.

Or take it to a shop if you don't want to or can't pressure test the system.
Re: Coolant tank empty
Ponyrider - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 5:33:16 pm
Thanks Rob ands Marc! I had the coolant tank replaced under warranty in 2004, but never a water pump.
I will let you know what I find out. Thanks again,Randy
the water pump is old too and has never been renewed.

With the car in the air you can tell I think if the tank is leaking and eliminate other sources of a leak above the water pump and anywhere that can have coolant running to the water pump, and confirm the water pump is the source. I mean unless you just want to replace it. 122K miles is a good number of miles but the one in my 02 lasted 172K miles.

I prefer when possible to confirm in this case the water pump is leaking. Have you removed the belt and check for play at the water pump? Be sure you note the route and the direction the belt runs so you can reinstall the belt correctly. Also, check the belt edges for sharpness. A sharp edge is a sign the belt is rubbing and this is from tracking wrong due to play at the water pump, or whichever accessory drive is loose. But the water pump is most often the bad accessory drive.
Hey Marc, the water pump was bad. Thanks for your input. I have followed you rack up the miles on Porsche Pete's board as well.
I still have the original clutch. My dealer wants $2350 to install the L&N bearing. The clutch package is another$825.
Last year I did shocks, tires, repainted the wheels and calipers. Needless to say, I'm keeping the car!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login