Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
OMG ..... What an expereince hot smileysmileys with beerthe finger smiley
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 12:52:45 am
I've had my car for 4 weeks now. This past weekend was the first time I've been able to "drive" my car!!!! I've been driving to and from work, but that doesn't count, rush hour traffic.

On the way, I had to change fwys, just a big sweeping turn and I passed a few cars. My mother stated "this car really takes the turns well". She hasn't really seen the turning the car can to. But it was fun on the connector to rev the engine a little (still in break in period).

I was just kinda driving and not really paying attention to my speed. I looked down and was gong 101. OOPS, well, mom was in the car. I told her, she was shocked. Didn't even feel like it. I do have a question regarding the aerodynamics. In my 986 when I hit a 100, the car "sunk" and really felt like I was one with the road. I didn't get that feeling. Does it happen with the 981? Maybe at a higher speed? I used to just "luv" when I felt it. It was a really "safe" feeling, and one that I enjoyed.

The infotainment system kept me entertained the entire time. I was disappointed with the iPod connection as I couldn't get my iPod to work unless I unplugged it. About an hour later, I realized I could access it from the screen and no need to have the iPod out. This turned out to be a cool feature. Also, played around with the multi function steering wheel, could access the PCM real easy and change without taking my eyes off the road..... Answering the phone was a breeze. My granddaughter was so excited about us visiting that she called at least 1 time an hour to see where we were.

The seats, well, my back was hurting after awhile. With so many adjustments, it took quite a bit for me to figure out what position was best for me. But, the drive home was very comfortable smiling smiley

It was 106 degrees outside and we drove with the top down all the way home. Had the AC on with the ventilated seats. Mom could feel the seat really good, but I didn't really notice it. I'm wondering if my seat is operating ok. But, the AC was so good that I didn't care about the seat.

Back to driving..... I was going up the Cajon Pass in the San Bernardino Mountains. I was just amazed at the PDK. Oh my, now I know how I should have been shifting all those years. I was able to maintain an uphill speed of 80 mph very easily. Fortunately, traffic was light. The car managed it so well, could not feel the shifting. It shifted both up and down. ...... Going downhill, not quite sure what happened but I didn't have to apply my brakes. I wasn't using cruise control but somehow the car knew and was able to maintain the downhill speed without the need for additional braking.

It was so responsive and just seemed to know what to do. I got the RPM up to 5K. That seemed like an accomplishment. Prior to the trip, it wasn't going higher than 3.5. Kinda frustrating 'cuz I couldn't really hear the engine. I wanted to go higher, but will wait for the break in to be over. ..... There are a few more things, but will save for another time.

I'm really looking forward to the break in period being over and taking the windy local roads. Riverside will be cooling off soon and there are some great roads out there. Anyone want to go for a drive????

Joanne
Re: OMG ..... What an expereince hot smileysmileys with beerthe finger smiley
wewannaporsche - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 1:00:33 am
I agree the speed just just seems to come on effortlessly, could be trouble smiling smiley
Jim
YES.... The V1 is very necessary
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 1:15:03 am
Had mine hard wired in before the trip. Am so glad I did it. Cops were really abound. It saved me multiple times. In fact, even my mother knew which alarms were true vs false.

Joanne
thumbs up *NM*
bar10dah - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 2:56:25 am
good for you Joanne
MikenOH - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 8:28:10 am
A bit different than the '99', eh?

You'll have a ball with the car; if you ever have the notion, try an auto-x. A safe way of exploring the limits of the car's handling at the edge of traction and great fun.

BTW, there are some sound alerts that you can set for particular speeds, but the V-1 negate the need for them.
db997S - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 10:28:30 am
The downhill, the PDK really acts like a manual (lift off the gas and the engine slows, doesn't coast). You can actually engine brake with the PDK, if you so choose. Even when you have the PDK in auto mode, it acts like a stick. I pull into my work garage, and never have to use the brakes on the downhill ramps unlike when I drive my wife's Prius to work. I even get burbles and burps out of the exhaust going down the ramp in 1st gear and the car never makes it above 10 mph down the ramp, look mom, no brakes. I really enjoy the PDK. It's a monster on the track. Amazing how it switches from lazy driving/shifting to revs in a blink of an eye. Sometimes in auto mode, I have to manually upshift because a heavy pass results in the engine really wanting to play and keeping the RPMs up around 6K, when i just want to get back to cruising. Now you have me wanting to get out and really stretching my cars legs on some curvey roads.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 1:10:23 pm
Well, it sounds like you're almost starting to enjoy your car. winking smiley Didn't I tell you it would be worth the wait? smiling smiley

You will probably find that the exhaust starts sounding better as you get some carbon buildup in the muffler. That has been the case with the PSE. With about 4.5K miles on it now, it REALLY sound great.

"They" winking smiley say that these cars will really get into the triple digits quickly. Remember that your new car has about 65 more horses than your old one. There IS a difference and sounds like you're enjoying it.

If you're not sure if your vented seat is working, try turning it on when the car is just sitting and idling, you should be able to hear the fan drawing the air through the seat (it's a soft sound, but audible). It doesn't actually cool your back, it just draws the air through the ventilation holes and keep you feeling comfortable.

On those downhill drives, the PDK is likely shifting into a lower gear (engine braking) to hold the speed.

Keep those road trips coming and enjoy.
Re: OMG ..... What an expereince winking smiley
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 4:22:47 pm

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary, some fashion advice
Roger987 - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 5:20:56 pm
Since you've taken to painting your toenails, if you want to stay with red, maybe shoot for Porsche caliper red, next time.

And, for better contrast, perhaps a more lively colour for the thong. Of course, there may be some limitations in your size, but
YOU DA MAN !!

grinning smiley
It isn't easy to hard wire a Valentine tongue sticking out smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 5:37:26 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: It isn't easy to hard wire a Valentine tongue sticking out smiley
Joanne in OC - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 5:47:13 pm
I had Jamie Rawlings do it for me ...... Yes, a name from the past. He now has his own Audio Shop (no longer Paris Audio). It took him awhile, but got it done. Can't tell it's there especially when the visor is down. I'll post a pic. I've been really bad at taking pictures. I was going to take some on the road going to Vegas, but I was just enjoying the drive that I totally forgot about pictures. I had my priorities grinning smiley

Joanne
I think Gary's was a double-entendre *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 10:29:26 pm
You think? *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 18 September, 2013, at 11:50:57 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Moi? *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 7:46:56 am
Gotta love a curvy beauty.....
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 7:32:55 pm

Rhodium Silver....of course cool smiley

Re: Gotta love a curvy beauty.....
old timer - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 4:51:04 pm
Gary in SoFL

Rhodium Silver....of course cool smiley

[www.brbs.org]
Re: Gotta love a curvy beauty.....
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 5:39:40 pm
old timer

[www.brbs.org]

Robyn and Joanne at BRBS about ten years ago thumbs up

That was actually in Vegas at TBHL
Joanne in OC - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 6:01:33 pm
But I can't remember how long ago ...... That was the night that Howard got slapped twice (at different places).

Such memories smiling smiley

Joanne
Twice, eh?
Boxsterra - Monday, 23 September, 2013, at 9:03:52 pm
His face and...?

Light night for Howard I guess.
Yep
Joanne in OC - Tuesday, 24 September, 2013, at 1:25:18 am
first time we were standing on line waiting for the limo taxi. He made a gesture and the girl's girlfriend slapped him on the face.
second time was (won't say where), he pulled out his camera and was slapped by another girl.

He gave up and went back to the hotel ..... I guess he didn't want to get slapped again.

Joanne
I got the Savvy months ago, so as not to get all the unfiltered warnings at low speeds, but it needs to plug into the OBD2 socket, that in the 981 is in the driver's footwell fuse box. I bought a spare cover to cut up and an L-connector so the wire might not protrude as much, but I think it will still interfere with my left foot.
[upload.wikimedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2013 10:33PM by Laz. (view changes)
Curious about shifting
Bobtesa - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 9:01:33 am
" I was just amazed at the PDK. Oh my, now I know how I should have been shifting all those years."

Joanne, how were you shifting (with a manual I presume) before having pdk? I get the sense that a lot of people like pdk because it does what many people don't with manual trannys. About 10 years ago a guy at work bought an s2000. I suggested that we go out and drive each others cars together. I drove his first with him as passenger. I knew enough about these 4 cylinder Hondas to know that power didn't come on until about 5k rpms (they red at 8.5 as I recall). Never got the chance. As the car was warming up, I took 2nd gear to 3,500 before shifting. He totally blew a fuse!!! We turned around and headed back to work because he never takes it over 2,500. WOW what a waste! is all I can say (but didn't say it to him).

OK, I don't drive like being on the track all the time, but I regularly enjoy taking shifts close to red line, and downshifting is always fun to me. On the other hand, I don't usually downshift going downhill as I'd rather wear the brakes then the engine.

So, Joanne and others new to pdk and seeing how it thinks, might you drive differently if you were now driving a manual? Maybe that is why some of us old fogies (yes, that's me) like doing it ourselves. We drive with a manual like pdk does with a computer.

Having said that, I had a loaner with pdk about 2 years ago and I was very impressed. In particular, as many others have stated, I was very impressed with how it "knew" what I wanted to do as I worked the go pedal. And, in "track" mode or whatever it is called, it was a hoot! In that mode, it showed me what I should be doing on the track -- considerably more aggressive than I was -- it never went below 4k (I guess as it should be done).

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Curious about shifting
Joanne in OC - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 9:54:16 am
When I was driving around town, I usually shift at 4500. When I was driving more aggressively I shifted closer to 6. But when I was going uphill, I would be going 75 mph in 5th gear, when the car slowed or seemed to be working I would downshift to 4. I didn't usually downshift when I was going downhill, just coasted. With the PDK, around town it shifts really early and it wasn't reving much at all an was shifting at 2.5 or 3. I was disappointed until this weekend when I went to Vegas. That's when I saw the PDK working well. Getting on the fwy quickly it did shift higher, usually around 4 or 4.5. Going uphill at 80 mph it was shifting from 7 to 6 and at times to 5. The rpm didn't really go above 5 but the transitions were smooth and able to maintain the power and speed. At 1 point I did get it up to 6000 but don't remember what I was doing, I was too enthralled with the sound.

Joanne
m4240z - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:27:02 am
Joanne in OC
When I was driving around town, I usually shift at 4500. When I was driving more aggressively I shifted closer to 6. But when I was going uphill, I would be going 75 mph in 5th gear, when the car slowed or seemed to be working I would downshift to 4. I didn't usually downshift when I was going downhill, just coasted. With the PDK, around town it shifts really early and it wasn't reving much at all an was shifting at 2.5 or 3. I was disappointed until this weekend when I went to Vegas. That's when I saw the PDK working well. Getting on the fwy quickly it did shift higher, usually around 4 or 4.5. Going uphill at 80 mph it was shifting from 7 to 6 and at times to 5. The rpm didn't really go above 5 but the transitions were smooth and able to maintain the power and speed. At 1 point I did get it up to 6000 but don't remember what I was doing, I was too enthralled with the sound.

Joanne

The problem with the Boxster engines is that they really don't get entertaining until they're over 4000RPM, largely due to the VarioCam. The reality of shifting with today's torque rich engines around town is that shifting at those RPMs isn't necessary and suck gas. My old A4 had a shift nag in it, and I could early shift well below 3000RPM -- in fact my wife, who has anything but a lead foot, would often shift well after the shift advice was given. I find it entertaining that there are lots of people who complain about the Boxster's lack of power, and never shift above 4000RPM where the car is really entertaining. I drove a PDK, and I also have an 8spd automatic in a A6, and I suspect that the computers which control the transmission read far far more information that you'd ever think. I think it looks at attack on throttle, attitude of car (pitch and yaw), the patterns of driving that precededed.
Bobtesa - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:28:54 am
I recall that too, that in "regular" mode pdk shifted earlier than I would have. But my loaner had 3 settings: regular, sport, track (something like, but don't remember the names). Sport mode was very close to my patterns, shifting closer to 4k, but regular shiftdr too early. However, I found the brains behind the curtain would shift heigher in regular if I was requesting more power with the gas pedal (as folks have commented, very good programming).

Does your 981 have the 3 modes? I think that is an option, not standard. If it has the 3 modes, what is your take on the pros/cons of each? Con for me was that if you don't do track events (I don't anymore), then this mode is really not very useful on the street - too aggressive.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:36:02 am
The 981 comes standard with Normal and Sport mode (which raises the idle RPM by 200 and make throttle response more immediate). Optional is Sport Plus mode which is part of the Sport Chrono package. Not sure what effect it has on idle, but it's supposed to make throttle response even more immediate than Sport mode.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
For mine, Sport lifts the idle about 75 rpm. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:39:32 am
Re: For mine, Sport lifts the idle about 75 rpm.
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 7:06:09 pm
So, after reading your post, I made a point of checking idle speed while out today.

First thing I noticed is that you can engage Sport Mode at any time (sport lights up in the read-out), but there's no change in idle speed when the oil temp isn't at least 80 C = 176 F. Coolant of course had been at operating temperature for a little while already. Makes sense. You shouldn't be driving it hard until the engine is fully warmed up.

Once fully warmed up, my tach sits at about 650 RPM. In Sport mode, it's just above 800 RPM, maybe 810. So on mine it's about160 RPM difference. I definitely hear the difference.
Haven't reached a conclusion concerning the coolant information, but the band seems to move the same as the numeric display, and doesn't continue to move right. Then again it's a cool night and the car has only been idling to warm up.
Laz
Haven't reached a conclusion concerning the coolant information, but the band seems to move the same as the numeric display, and doesn't continue to move right. Then again it's a cool night and the car has only been idling to warm up.

I agree, the bar does move the same as the numeric display. I have never seen it go above 90C - 194F (even switched them between C&F for comparison), even on our BRP drive in August. Ambient temps got up into the high 80's and even long climbs never resulted in a higher temperature shown. I've been keeping an eye on it because the tech that did the PDI told me that Porsche has it programmed to not show anything higher because they think the average person will panic as the temperature approaches 100C - 212F. He did say that if it really does get hot, it will start flashing. So it seems like little more than an idiot light, although it does let you know when your engine reaches operating temperature.

I'm guessing that US cars are programmed to show up to 200F (as opposed to 194F displayed as an even 90C on Canuck cars) just for a nice round number.

When I think back to my 987, the coolant temp never got past a hair over 80C - 176F, even in Death Valley at ambient temps at 104F. I just thought that Porsche did a fabulous job of controlling the coolant temperature. In light of what the tech told me, it also was likely programmed to show a max of 80C

Here's a pic taken near Sedona, Arizona.

Wonder what happens if you actually do have a cooling system failure and temps rise beyond normal? The idiot light comes on but the gauge stays the same sad smiley?
I picked up one of these a few weeks back to tap into the ECU data and include on track videos; I'm planning on using it this weekend and comparing the display on my phone running RaceChrono to the car's electronic gauge to see how close they are; the program only displays in Celsius so I'll change the car's display.

[www.amazon.com]
but that's probably not going to happen. For the next servicing I'll see if the dealer can program the reading to be more realistic-- but I'm not optimistic about that. Last night I noticed the oil temperature pretty much leveled out at about 164-5, but again, this is with the car just idling its way back to "operating" temperature having been shut off for a while after a long drive at 55º F.
Concerning the older cars, my 2001 in particular, the coolant would sit, if I recall correctly, just past the 180 mark, but at times would move a bit farther, so maybe there wasn't a maximum limit. Oddly enough, it would do that on some cool days, not just hot summer ones, and with no particular change in driving style.

Guenter, was the 40.9 mpg (!) due to a reset on a long downhill? Imperial gallons?
Laz

Guenter, was the 40.9 mpg (!) due to a reset on a long downhill? Imperial gallons?

It was US gallons. Just my economical driving skills. winking smiley

I've always been in the habit of resetting my trip odometer on a fill up. I had filled up in Flagstaff on our way back from the Grand Canyon, headed down I-17 then 98A to Sedona. 98A is a fabulous Boxster road if you're not stuck behind a minivan which was the case here. sad smiley I'd been behind a minivan for probably 10 miles, holding the speed mostly in 4th gear, I think. Looked down and saw the mileage I was getting, so pulled over at the first opportunity to take a picture to show just how economical the Boxster is to drive. grinning smiley

It was a much more fun drive on the way up to the Grand Canyon that morning. Little traffic, lousy mileage, lots of Permagrin.

Here's the minivan that help me get that mileage. Not much opportunity to pass.

Excellent road--98A--to drive on.
Have you been on 89A that goes up to Jerome? "158 curves in 12 miles"--according to the T-shirt I picked up.
A friend of ours was driving and having fun with it; glad I wasn't in the back seat..
MikenOH
Excellent road--98A--to drive on.
Have you been on 89A that goes up to Jerome? "158 curves in 12 miles"--according to the T-shirt I picked up.
A friend of ours was driving and having fun with it; glad I wasn't in the back seat..

We were just on the section from south of Flagstaff to Sedona. Then we drove down 179, to I-17 and on to Pheonix. Looking at that Jerome stretch on the map, makes me think it's worth a drive back just to try it out. (as long as I don't have minivans in front of me.)
Scourge of the highway:
Laz - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 2:25:01 pm
Ach du lieber... *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 2:39:28 pm
Laz
but that's probably not going to happen. For the next servicing I'll see if the dealer can program the reading to be more realistic-- but I'm not optimistic about that. Last night I noticed the oil temperature pretty much leveled out at about 164-5, but again, this is with the car just idling its way back to "operating" temperature having been shut off for a while after a long drive at 55º F.
Concerning the older cars, my 2001 in particular, the coolant would sit, if I recall correctly, just past the 180 mark, but at times would move a bit farther, so maybe there wasn't a maximum limit. Oddly enough, it would do that on some cool days, not just hot summer ones, and with no particular change in driving style.

Just for grins, I plugged in the OBD scanner after setting the coolant display for Celsius and then watched both temps as a I drove around at various speeds.

The cars gauge warmed up considerably faster than the OBD read out and stopped moving at 93 deg. C; the OBD read out was all over the place, topping out at 102,then dropped fast--thermostat opening? It bounced around a bit but tended to stay in the 84-87 deg C range on the highway.I drove at 65 mph for a while in 5th gear turning about 2.8-3K rpms and it stay pretty consistently at 85 deg C. The ambient temp was around 80 deg F.
I've mentioned before being stuck in traffic in Austin with the ambient readout over 130. Hot pavement and lots of very hot engine blocks sitting still. No wind to speak of to carry off the heat. The oil went to 247 if I recall correctly.
One thing that I think helps cooling in a situation like yours in Texas is to run the a/c, as it will keep the fans running (although in that situation, I'm sure they would have been running constantly and you'd have wanted the a/c on, special if you weren't moving.
MikenOH

Just for grins, I plugged in the OBD scanner after setting the coolant display for Celsius and then watched both temps as a I drove around at various speeds.

The cars gauge warmed up considerably faster than the OBD read out and stopped moving at 93 deg. C; the OBD read out was all over the place, topping out at 102,then dropped fast--thermostat opening? It bounced around a bit but tended to stay in the 84-87 deg C range on the highway.I drove at 65 mph for a while in 5th gear turning about 2.8-3K rpms and it stay pretty consistently at 85 deg C. The ambient temp was around 80 deg F.

Thanks Mike. That's interesting that while cruising you were actually at 85C, mine once warmed up just stays at 90C, never up or down. It's the oil temp that really moves around. It doesn't seem to have any limit placed on it. I'm always surprised how quickly the oil temp drops even if the car has been parked only a short time (10 - 15 min.)

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:20:18 am
I don't own a Boxster with PDK. (Hell hasn't frozen over yet.) But I have driven Boxsters with PDK and a Cayman with PDK on a race track.

My take: PDK is a fabulous piece of engineering, but it robs me of part of the total driving experience that I enjoy. The more the car does for me, the less I enjoy the driving experience because I feel less involved.

When I'm driving. I never push the engine much over 3K RPM until it's fully warmed up. (I used to think an engine was fully warmed up with coolant at operating temperature + an extra 10 minutes of driving. With the 981 OBC showing oil temperature, I can see that it takes longer than that to get everything warmed up.) Once warmed up, in regular traffic, I'll generally keep it between 2 and 4K RPM. When I'm driving enthusiastically and conditions permit, I'll take it to pretty close to red line, depending on circumstances. ( I don't see much point in cruising a 2 lane road in 2nd gear at 7K RPM.)

As far as going down hill. If it's a fairly steep, long hill and the car is picking up speed in 6th gear, I'll shift down to 5th or even 4th if that's what it takes to hold the speed of the car without having to use brakes. If you're going to accelerate using 6 - 7K RPM, how will it hurt the engine turning over at 4 - 6K RPM to hold the speed of the car? It just keeps the engine and the brakes cool. (Ever see the truck run-off ramps on roads in the Rockies, also on I-77 headed south toward Charlotte, NC? )
downhill gears
Bobtesa - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:34:17 am
I totally agree. I would use lower gears to control speed on long down-hillers. I remember burning out brakes out west where there are mountains (in the 1970S's in an auto tranny car). Where I live, Maryland, there aren't hills (mountains) that require using lower gears. Given the right terrain, I'm with you all the way using lower gears.
Re: downhill gears
Laz - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:38:17 am
I recall coming into Maryland from the west, and there being a super long downhill part of the interstate with a curve at the bottom where the speed limit was about 40.
Honda S2000 and CRX Si
Laz - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:34:04 am
Before buying the 986, I test drove an S2000 at the dealership that worked on my CRX. While I felt the motor at lower rpms was more torquey than I had expected, there's no "practical" way it can be driven at 2500 and below. How that guy could decide to buy one being completely unconscious of its character is beyond me.

When I took delivery of my 88 CRX Si, I asked the salesman about break-in. We all know the primary question: what is the maximum rpm until a certain mileage is reached? I conjectured to him something like "nothing over 4000 rpm until 1000 miles." He looked astonished, and said, "Oh, no, you never have to go over 3500!" (The redline, by the way is 6500, and I eventually literally pegged the speedometer, hitting the 128 mph rated top speed.) Anyway, as soon as he said that, I stopped asking "technical" questions. I think he could only conceptualize interior color options. Subsequent servicing revealed the service manager to be a complete a-------, for which I ripped him another one, but that's a story for another time.
Re: Honda S2000 and CRX Si
Bobtesa - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 10:44:36 am
"How that guy could decide to buy one being completely unconscious of its character is beyond me." That was rhetorical, right? How many Boxster owners have no idea what they have? But, I don't mean to be judgmental. For some (most) people a 2 seat convertible is all they are asking for. Handling, braking, exquisite performance is really not of interest. That is totally OK, to each their own. Hell, some people even like their engine in the wrong place! (Forgive me, oh, please forgive me, I couldn't help myself)
Yep -- 98% vs. 95%
paulwdenton - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 1:22:29 am
I sometimes feel like people here are kind of oblivious to the real world because in here people know something and assume others do, too. That is a mistaken assumption. Case in point -- you expect enthusiasts in PCA but there are maybe 40 Porsche owners in our metro of 2M who actually participate in PCA vs hundreds of Porsches on the streets. There have been 3 other owners on my own street. I can't even talk to them. They literally know nothing. The cars are all automatics and drive like my granny. One guy has an 08 Boxster to my 08 Cayman and he is utterly clueless about his car. Never heard of "IMS" and he thinks he has a rear engined car. I think it's all about the badge, nothing more, which IMHO is why Porsche really doesn't care if its customer service sucks or its cars contain fatal flaws that coincidentally earn Porsche even more money for parts and labor. As long as clueless owners will pay and buy into the mystique, why should they?
And he liked the S2000? Really?
grant - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 7:13:33 pm
Its a dog (no offense to dogs) below 5k.

What was it that he liked about the car?

Astonishing.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
My theory about why the S2000 was not successful
Bobtesa - Thursday, 19 September, 2013, at 7:53:55 pm
I guess he and others may have liked their S2000s initially as a convertible sports car, but not knowing how to get any power out of it (5k+), it became uninteresting to too many people. I think the Miata was and continues to be successful because no one expects a lot of power. And, it may be that below 5k rpms, a Miata has more umph than the Honda.
Ed B - Tuesday, 24 September, 2013, at 10:24:48 am
The new Porsches are great!

We just got back from Germany after a weekend Porsche Travel Club tour to Alsace/Vosges. RECOMMENDED
Had a Carrera S with PDK with Sport Crono. left it in Sport mode, sport exhaust and sport suspension most of the time, except through towns. About 500 miles in 2 1/2 days.

Tour is not for the timid. Suggest black or red group DE experience. Example: Narrow two lane road, no shoulders, 120/140 kph with a 90 degree corner or switchback, hard on the brakes, PDK downshifts four times with rev matching and engine braking, then hard on the gas and do it again. (Love that transmission! Wish I had it when I was racing SCCA.)

Tour leader advising by radio about oncoming traffic, so you can use the whole road. Passing FIATS and BMW's is easy with 400 HP. Autobahn was busy, only managed 230 kph.
We also had a factory tour, visited the Porsche and MB museums, and a special visit to Porsche Classic shops.

Main reason for the trip was to visit and drive my first Porsche, a 1954 1300S Cabriolet that I sold 53 years ago. The last one in existence. Valued at $580000. A German magazine will be doing a story on it.
To rest up, we spent a few days in Florence, Venice and a farm in Siena. (without a Porsche) Lots of wine sampled.

Long trip home to NH. Awake for 23 hours.

Time to go play with the Boxster.

Ed B & Nancy smileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login