Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Exclusivity or dis-enfranchising?
Tony in Whittier - Saturday, 5 October, 2013, at 11:31:04 am
I went to the Orange County Auto Show yesterday. The show is always small and does not have the same flare of the L.A. Auto Show.

I didn't see Porsche on the legend map. So, I figure that they did not attend (not un-expected). I was in the Mercedes area checking out the new CLA (I was not impressed). Then I saw the Porsche crest banner hanging over the Porsche area.

I say area but I should really say micro-area. They had 4 P cars (Bentley shared the space), which included a 2013 Boxster S and a 2104 Cayman. To get into the controlled bullring, you had to wait until someone exited. Once inside, you only had access to the interior of the Cayman. The Boxster, Panamera and 911 were locked. In fact, the windows for the Boxster and 911 were jammed up against the hard plastic trim. I alerted the attendant who said that the batteries were disabled and the windows could not be raised. If I was in charge, I would have contacted a Show rep. who could have fixed the issue right away.

Certainly not a very impressive display. confused smiley
Re: Exclusivity or dis-enfranchising?
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 8 October, 2013, at 5:42:45 pm
A friend of mine was the GM for a large Trade Show facilitator and I used to help him out with some IT stuff at Moscone Center in SF. Fire regulations require the disconnection of all car batteries when on the convention floor. When the show ends, you have a very small window to clear your area before Teamsters start clearing the floor. It wasn't an Auto Show, but one of the presenters had a BMW 745Li on the floor and without a battery, they couldn't open the car to re-connect it. I'm sure the value was severely reduced when they fork lifted it off the floor!
has union rules to tell. Gosh help you if you even connect on electric plug to an outlet.
Except in ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 9 October, 2013, at 7:01:33 pm
... the Big Easy.
In Naw'lins you can do whatever you want at the Convention Center and the unions don't bother you.
But by the same token when you ask them to do something it take$ $ome incentive$ to get them rolling.
Happy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
(who probably cant figure out a polarized plug)

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I've been an exhibitor in ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 10 October, 2013, at 2:17:38 pm
... Chicago, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Miami and Atlanta in the US and several overseas, such as Messe Kohl in Cologne, Germany and Victoria Center in London.
The most painful one to work with is McCormic in Chicago.
The easiest was New Orlean$.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
When behind the "Elephant Doors" at convention centers it's a different world. The F-word is used as nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, conjunctions, prepositions, articles and interjections. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login