Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
What is this 2000 Boxster S really worth?
Rev Dennis - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 5:16:41 pm
It's in my color and my color interior and they are just so cheap it's hard to resist!

Opinions on a cash value appreciated.

Yes I am crazy.

Yes life is short.

[www.autotrader.com]
Re: What is this 2000 Boxster S really worth?
EricG - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 6:04:59 pm
Seems like a good deal, I ran the data on Kelly's blue book for that region from a Dealer and it's between $14.5K to $15,8K, fair purchase at $15,2K.

From a private party in good conditions it's at $14,4K.

At $13,9K the ask seems fair, I guess a $12,5K offer could be a starting point. But I'm no reference or expert, I paid my 987.1S out of Mass 2 years ago at $25K with 33K miles on it.
Get real data from KBB, galves etc.
grant - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 6:06:58 pm
A few opinions here are not valid. Especially mine.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Rev Dennis - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 6:49:20 pm
Edmunds says 10,500, NADAGuides says 14 for a dealer car. The Carfax (from the dealer site) shows a minor impact on the left side.
Ultimately
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 7:04:07 pm
I think you have to have a look at the car personally, take it for a drive, ideally get service records. And if you want to avoid getting into a money pit, get a PPI done by a trusted Porsche mechanic. Then decide what YOU think the car is worth to you.
Re: Ultimately
20BoxSter02 - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 9:39:29 am
I heartily agree with Guenter. I bought my Boxster S from this very dealer but failed to get an independent PPI (lesson learned for me). A month after purchase, noticed a minor oil leak (like they wiped it down figuring it would be a while before I noticed...) Several months later, when having the car inspected for a PCA event, the inspector noticed that the front brake pads were not correct for a Boxster S so I had to pay for new rotors and brakes.

Don't trust their "X point inspection" BS...
Re: Ultimately
MikenOH - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 1:09:09 pm
Guenter in Ontario
I think you have to have a look at the car personally, take it for a drive, ideally get service records. And if you want to avoid getting into a money pit, get a PPI done by a trusted Porsche mechanic. Then decide what YOU think the car is worth to you.

Exactly--the PPI is critical to buying any used Porsche IMO, as well as having a history of service records.
If the car is in good shape mechanically, $13K or there about is chump change relative to the amount of fun you can have with the car. OTOH, if it isn't right mechanically, the $13K can double (or more) if a major component fails.

Regarding the PPI, I would advise that who ever does it has experience in looking over the 986 model.
eicheldp - Friday, 7 March, 2014, at 10:33:38 pm
That one looks a lot like mine, except I have the Tip. I looked @ Kelly Blue Book

Value selling to a private buyer Fair cond = $13,705; Excellent cond = $15,130

Trade in Value to a dealer - Fair cond = $10,775; Excellent cond = $14,071

I purchased mine in Shillington in a private deal - 2004 S w/ 15,800 miles for $25,500 Now I know I paid too much, but at the time I fell in love with the car and I wanted it.
Dave In MD - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 7:36:09 am
It's a Porsche dealer in DC so it's going to be a bit on the high side. Private sale should be at least $2K less based on what I've seen. Of course, there are other factors like: I love this car and it's color combination. :-)

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
tom coughlin - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 8:45:13 am
A friend recently bought a 2000 base model stick with 38000 miles, very clean car from the wife of a fellow who has dementia and can't drive any more.

Private party sale $11,500 and both parties happy.

I'll bet dealer will deal (and possibly add CPO if not offered now). Good luck, Tom
moresquirt - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 9:07:08 am
EricG thats an amazing deal on the 06 S,i purchased same car 2 years ago (private sale) and paid $31000,they were asking $35k.Even the wholesale value for tax purposes in canada was almost $25k.Thought i got great deal.
It had 40k miles and was mint.US prices must be way better.I saw the same car Recently listed thru a dealer for $40k with 20kmiles (Phaff Porsche Toronto).They do ask top dollar though but tis the season now almost.
EricG - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 9:51:54 am
Actually, it's an 05 not an 06... 25k was the us price, once imported to MTL with duty, transport,inspection, it went up to 32.6k CAN. At the time the same car was about 37k in MTL, but I couldn't find my color combo. I was hooked on Black and Tan and another color would have been a mistake.....

No regrets, excluding the long winter that I now have to wait to regain, my summer permagrin !!!
moresquirt - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 5:55:57 pm
Sorry Eric,read it wrong,I actually almost purchased a 05 Boxster S that was Black ext and beigh int with 40k 19" rims,pasm,full electric heated seats and GPS screen for $34 grand but same as u i wanted
a certain color ect,White with blue top and int,with 18" rims (better ride and less chance of rim damage) Gps not needed and prefered manual seats,less to break and a year newer,was always taught to never buy first year
as theres always updates on a new design.Saw the car i wanted couple days later and bought it.Originally i did look at older Boxsters and a friend had a 03 Boxster S that was really nice but the revised front end in 05
and the new interior won me over.
the seller is willing to accept and whatever you are willing to offer and pay.

Generally used cars have a big markup. 20% is low while 25% or more is well more like it.

'course you have to be sure the car is worth owning. Obviously paying too much for a good car is not your only concern, buying a bad car is or should be at the top of your list of things to avoid.

Were I not sated with Boxster driving experience from my time with my Boxster I'd seriously consider picking up a low miles 2000 Boxster S. I know someone who has a red one that had last time I heard around 20K miles on it. He never drives the car but the car is in good shape and has received reasonable servicing.

Be sure you give the car a thorough check. Arrange a test ride then follow it with a test drive. The route should cover 15 miles and give the driver the opportunity to demo the car as you will use it. Then you drive the car over the same route the same way. Afterwards check that *everything* works. Then arrange for a PPI which benefits from the car having been driven prior so the inspection has a better chance of spotting any fluid leaks. I'd dump the filter housing oil. Pull the DME over rev counters and engine run time to sanity check the car's odometer.
I want to amplify Marc's point:
grant - Monday, 10 March, 2014, at 2:55:05 pm
"'course you have to be sure the car is worth owning. Obviously paying too much for a good car is not your only concern, buying a bad car is or should be at the top of your list of things to avoid."

Getting the lowerest price is never my goal. Paying a few thousnad extra to get a car that I have confidence will be solid, reliable and save me $10k in repairs is my first goal. Buy the best maintaned car you can get your hands on. Garaged. Low miles (maybe, maybe not, garage queens have the biggest IMS issues), good documentation, all services performed, regular oil changes, driven fairly hard. No serious wrecks(says the guy who rebuilt a total loss and is very happy with it). There's also the soft stuff like "do you trust the PO"?

The point is that a solid boxster for anywhere from $10-15 is a great deal in the large. A money pit is no deal at $8

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I love that car!
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Saturday, 8 March, 2014, at 6:21:17 pm
That is just like my old car.... now Grant is loving it.

My color, my interior..... I getting all verclempt..... sniff sniff.

That is one great car. They got it right with that model. My 2009 C2S is just not as fun to drive....

If you buy it, you will be happy.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
2000 Boxster vs. '09C2S, more details please
Bobtesa - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 10:52:12 am
Bruce,

I started with a 1999 Boxster, got an '08 BoxsterS, and I am thinking of going to the dark side. I took a short spin in a 911 about 5 years ago and recall feeling the weight in the rear. I have talked with my dealer about 911's and we are going for a test drive in a few weeks (when it warms up). I'd appreciate your, or any anyone else on the board, impressions, pros/cons, etc of the driving experience of the two cars. Not trunk or cab space, or other amenities (like an extra gauge or two) but simply the fun of driving. Is a 911 really that much less of a driving experience? I do not autos or DE anymore, but I do enjoy safe, spirited driving where I can.

The Boxster/911 mid/rear engine debate is an old one. And, I don't mean to rehash it, but Porsche seems to work tirelessly on improving the 911's handling. Not that it is bad (or how else could they perform so well in competition?), just not as good as mid-engine weight balance. Now really, for us (just me?) ordinary Joes, is a Boxster THAT much more fun to drive? For example, am I going to hesitate having fun on highway exit ramps (clover leaves) because I have to worry about oversteer?

I'd really appreciate opinions from folks who have had plenty of seat time in both.

Thanks, Bob

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Bobtesa
Bruce,

I started with a 1999 Boxster, got an '08 BoxsterS, and I am thinking of going to the dark side. I took a short spin in a 911 about 5 years ago and recall feeling the weight in the rear. I have talked with my dealer about 911's and we are going for a test drive in a few weeks (when it warms up). I'd appreciate your, or any anyone else on the board, impressions, pros/cons, etc of the driving experience of the two cars. Not trunk or cab space, or other amenities (like an extra gauge or two) but simply the fun of driving. Is a 911 really that much less of a driving experience? I do not autos or DE anymore, but I do enjoy safe, spirited driving where I can.

The Boxster/911 mid/rear engine debate is an old one. And, I don't mean to rehash it, but Porsche seems to work tirelessly on improving the 911's handling. Not that it is bad (or how else could they perform so well in competition?), just not as good as mid-engine weight balance. Now really, for us (just me?) ordinary Joes, is a Boxster THAT much more fun to drive? For example, am I going to hesitate having fun on highway exit ramps (clover leaves) because I have to worry about oversteer?

I'd really appreciate opinions from folks who have had plenty of seat time in both.

Thanks, Bob

From what you've said, you clearly seem to feel the Boxster is the better handling car of the two. Just wondering why you want to move to a 911? Is it style? Need extra seating space? More power?

If it comes to deciding which car YOU really enjoy driving most, in my opinion, there's only one person that can answer that question for you, and that's you.

What I'd recommend, when the time comes, is to take a Boxster and a 911 out on back to back test drives, taking the same route of city and country roads (at least a 20 mile route) and decide which one YOU like best.
I love my 08 Spyder. It has some nice things my 1999 didn't:

glass rear window
up and down under 30
more power
bi-xenon lights for my old age night time driving smiling smiley

on the potential downside, it has an IMS, but it also has:

a hand brake w/o a hill-stop function --- I'm old school

And a few things that are nice, but not needed - leather interior, sport exhaust.

Fact of the matter is, I love my Boxster. It may be that after 15 years of Boxster ownership, I am just looking or something a littler different. In that regard, I may wait until 2015 to make a decision when two more mid-engine cars will be in play. The Alfa spider (maybe affordable) and the new NSX (maybe not so much).
Bobtesa
I love my 08 Spyder. It has some nice things my 1999 didn't:

glass rear window
up and down under 30
more power
bi-xenon lights for my old age night time driving smiling smiley

on the potential downside, it has an IMS, but it also has:

a hand brake w/o a hill-stop function --- I'm old school

And a few things that are nice, but not needed - leather interior, sport exhaust.

Fact of the matter is, I love my Boxster. It may be that after 15 years of Boxster ownership, I am just looking or something a littler different. In that regard, I may wait until 2015 to make a decision when two more mid-engine cars will be in play. The Alfa spider (maybe affordable) and the new NSX (maybe not so much).

If you're considering trading to a newer car - either Boxster or 911, then IMS is not a factor in either one.

And one of your points is exactly why I think you're the only one who can really decide which is the better car for you. You mention PSE is a take it or leave it item for you. During the 9 - 10 months I spent planning/testing my (for me) ultimate Boxster, PSE was a must have. Nothing wrong with a Boxster with or without, but it's what YOU really want in YOUR car. Nice that Porsche gives us the choice. smiling smiley
PSE, tell if me I'm wrong
Bobtesa - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 1:32:27 pm
PSE maybe more thrilling in the 981 than the 987. I think I read somewhere that the Boxster exhaust note was moved (somehow?) to be more on the driver's side in the 981. Do I remember that correctly? In any event, I have never been totally taken by my Boxster's sound. Yes, at 5,000 it wails a bit, but it is nothing like the sound of a 911 (that is NOT why I am thinking about a 911). Yes, it is all personal, but my 08 PSE seems incredibly overpriced for the minimal increase in exhaust note. Now, if the exhaust note of later models, 981, have been improved, then PSE may be worth it on the newer models.
Re: PSE, tell if me I'm wrong
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 3:22:33 pm
Bobtesa
PSE maybe more thrilling in the 981 than the 987. I think I read somewhere that the Boxster exhaust note was moved (somehow?) to be more on the driver's side in the 981. Do I remember that correctly? In any event, I have never been totally taken by my Boxster's sound. Yes, at 5,000 it wails a bit, but it is nothing like the sound of a 911 (that is NOT why I am thinking about a 911). Yes, it is all personal, but my 08 PSE seems incredibly overpriced for the minimal increase in exhaust note. Now, if the exhaust note of later models, 981, have been improved, then PSE may be worth it on the newer models.

It could well be that there's a difference between the 981 and 987 sound with PSE. In my 981, I notice a definite difference with mine whether I have it turned on or not.

There are two main differences between the sound of a 987 and 981.

One is the 981 now has an intake for the engine on each side of the car, instead of just on the driver's side, so you get the intake sound in stereo. The exhaust system sound wouldn't be effected by this.

The other is the burble, cracking, popping sound when lifting the throttle at shifts or slowing down. This is enhanced with PSE switched on.

When driving, there are actually three levels of sound and/or performance if you have PSE.

1. PSE off. The car sounds good.
2. PSE on, The car sounds like a Porsche should (in my opinion.)
3. PSE on, Sports mode (standard on all 981's) on. (When you engage Sports mode, it automatically engages PSE). It sounds fabulous.
FYI: Sports mode raises idle by about 150 RPM and makes throttle response more instant than regular mode

Here's a video taken on the first PCA Fun Run I took the 981 S on. It was about a week after getting the car, so I was keeping shifts relatively slow and keeping RPM's bellow 4200 RPM. Unfortunately, there's a fair amount of wind noise. I'm trying to figure out how to filter it out when recording, but there are sections where you can hear the exhaust. You probably hear the burbling best around the 7 minute mark as we're slowing down, coming into town.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 07:08PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
BLKBOXS - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 5:14:47 pm
"One is the 987 now has an intake for the engine on each side of the car, instead of just on the driver's side, so you get the intake sound in stereo. The exhaust system sound wouldn't be effected by this."

981 ...rightgrinning smiley.

MIKELLIG
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 7:13:49 pm
BLKBOXS
"One is the 987 now has an intake for the engine on each side of the car, instead of just on the driver's side, so you get the intake sound in stereo. The exhaust system sound wouldn't be effected by this."

981 ...rightgrinning smiley.

Yup. You're absolutely right, Mike. Must be the residual effect of old grape juice. drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 07:15PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
The Boxster is quite light on its tires and is very maneuverable in parking lots, around town, on by-ways and highways.

The 911 requires that I keep in mind it is a larger (heavier) car -- with its center of gravity higher -- and it has a heavy rear end. Sure, Porsche has tamed the handling to some extent -- a large extent (based on what I read for I have no seat time at all in earlier 911's) -- but it can't deny the heavy engine mounted behind the rear wheels.

But my 911 is an enjoyable car to drive and more practical in some respects as it is easier to get in and out of. The view out of the car -- I never put the top down in the Boxster -- is better. The cabin is a bit more roomy, too. The power -- my 911 is a 996 Turbo -- is amazing and on the road getting up to speed, passing, climbing long grades a high altitude, are a breeze. Don't get me wrong. The Boxster even under the same conditions is no wheezing jalopy but the 911 (Turbo) is well, a Turbo.

That said, I really think the ideal car is the Cayman. I do not need the drop top feature of the Boxster -- I bought it for among other things its mid-engine layout with its soft top as a tolerable though less desirable feature -- and while the 911 is a nice car with a hard top and mid-engine location the Cayman is the choice. More reasonable running costs also weigh in favor of the Cayman.

My best advise is try to arrange a test ride/drive of the 911 over the roads on which you intend to use it and drive it how you intend to drive it -- within reason -- and afterwards reexamine your feelings to see if you think the car will suit you.
And speaking of light...
Bobtesa - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 12:50:43 pm
I also looked into a Lotus a few years back (didn't drive one). Getting into and out of the car was a bit challenging for this old man. At 1,900 pounds, the Lotus must be a hoot. The Alfa is supposed to come in at 2,200 pounds, considerably less than a Boxster. If the Alfa has easier ingress/egress, handles well, etc., it will be something to consider.

MarcW, I have been in the Cayman camp for years. It has only been the past few years that I have put my Boxster top down a little more often. When Boxsters first came out and folks thought about a Boxster coupe, I knew that was what I wanted. I put a deposit down for the first Cayman model year, but withdrew when I found out the coupe was $5K more than the cab.
Rev Dennis - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 11:10:27 am
Bobtesa - the Boxster is balanced and very near neutral in corners. Easy to drive from the get go. You need to spend some serious time behind the wheel of a 911 to get it near the edge without going over. Porsche just keeps on fighting it, but if rear engined was the way to go, wouldn't that be the standard in F1? They can charge more for a poorly designed platform - 911 vs Boxster, and they can charge more for a hardtop than a vert - Cayman vs Boxster. George Carlin was right,,,,,it's all BS and it's bad for you. smiling smiley
Rev Dennis - Sunday, 9 March, 2014, at 11:23:37 am
Anyone live near Tysons Corner, VA that would like to put an eyeball on this for me, before I drive 150 miles one way to be disappointed?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login