Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Sportier steeing wheel for my 986S?
jlegelis - Saturday, 26 April, 2014, at 9:32:51 pm
In comparison to more recent cars, the steering wheel on my '01 986 S is beginning to look and feel a bit 'delicate'. Years ago (pre airbag) I installed a Momo Monte Carlo on my VW GTI, and the change was transformative: compared to stock, the smaller diameter and thicker grip completely changed the driving experience. Unfortunately my desire to have an airbag in my Boxster precludes a Momo Monte Carlo, but I wondering if something from a 996-era GT3 (perhaps even Alcantara) might fill the bill? Does anybody know if such a thing is available, or other alternates?

TIA!

- JohnL,
Boston
Here you go
Roger987 - Saturday, 26 April, 2014, at 10:10:37 pm
[www.dallassteeringwheel.com]

Had them do my 987 wheel a year or two ago (I can't keep track of dates anymore- wheee, isn't this fun..). Anyway, they did an awesome job, Fat, with thumb grips. Love it!

Guenter gave it a careful inspection. I think he'd agree it is a significant improvement.

This is where I got the lead:

[www.planet-9.com]
Re: Here you go
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 26 April, 2014, at 10:56:46 pm
I sure agree with Roger.

The steering wheel and gear shift are two of the important tactile connections with your car. Like Roger said, the beefier wheel and thumb cutouts add a special connection between driver and car.
jlegelis - Sunday, 27 April, 2014, at 6:48:19 pm
Thx... will give 'em a call. Also found this factory option for a 996 GT3, though it doesn't seem any smaller in diameter, just perhaps a bit thicker.
r9i8c7k - 9 years ago
You guys inspired me to finally get it done. Dallas Steering Wheel did a great job. I am very happy with the results...

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
Same issue for me
JackintheBoxster - Wednesday, 30 April, 2014, at 3:29:31 pm
I have had the same question for a while. I put the Momo Monte Carlo on my last car, a 1988 Mustang GT (five liters of tire-shredding, fire-breathing, V-8 Detroit Iron) and really miss it on my 2001 986. I think that unless I trade up to a 964 or earlier, I'm stuck.
Re: Same issue for me
jlegelis - Thursday, 1 May, 2014, at 3:28:57 pm
The DallasSteeringWheel alternative in a previous post looks like a really good option!
Re: Same issue for me
Roger987 - Thursday, 1 May, 2014, at 10:13:26 pm
Dallas Steering Wheel somehow manages to make the wheel rim much beefier, yet the outside diameter doesn't appear to be larger. And because they modified my original Porsche wheel, I got to keep all the steering wheel controls and the airbag. It's made an enormous difference in the feel of the wheel. A transformation, really.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login