Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
So, if you want your Boxster with a flat six, you've got about 12 months - less if you're planning to custom order one.

[blog.caranddriver.com]
Odd. I'd thought the SUVs would be the first to receive these smaller, blown engines as the owners seem to be less purists than on the sports car side.
The 912 was produced along with the 911 during the transition from 356 to the 911 (1965 - 1969). They produced the 912 with its flat 4 to keep down the cost compared to the more expensive 911.

Once the 912 was dropped (because the 911 had become successful enough), Porsche introduced the 914 in 1969 as their entry level car.
This is exactly the reason that I just placed my order. I have zero interest in a Boxster with a turbo 4. I was afraid that they might be coming as 2016 models, but it looks like they will actually be 2017 models. Whew!!!!!
... or in the inimitable words of Alfred E. Neuman: "What, Me Worry?

Sorry, time marches on... as does Porsche development. I (for one) can't wait to be passed by a 395HP turbo Boxster, almost exactly double the 201HP of the original 986. Now *that's* progress....

- JohnL
'01 986S
What's not to like? winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
... the high-pitched, non-inspiring exhaust note.
Maybe Porsche will offer an app for that.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Porsche does have some tricks that will probably filter down to the 4 banger engines, to wit:

Electronically synthesized noise is not supposed to be a Porsche solution, so their engineers developed a so called Sound Symposer that is standard on both versions of the 991. An acoustic channel picks up intake vibrations between the throttle valve and air filter and a membrane incorporated in the channel reinforces the vibrations and transmits them as an engine sound into the cabin. The system is driver activated or deactivated via a “Sport” button that controls a valve ahead of the membrane.

The result is a direct acoustic link between the cabin occupants and the engine, providing optimal transmission of the load-dependent sounds. The sound of gearshifts can also be enhanced.

The Sound Symposer incorporates a resonator to achieve a better sound pattern, damping out unpleasant noise occurring at around 5000 rpm.

Porsche isn't going to disappoint weekend cruisers who want to sound cool. winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Porsche will repackage this as the optional $3000 PSE. It will of course be N rated to ensure it doesn't damage the engine.

[www.soundracer.se]

Walter Röhrl describes the sound of the four banger turbo as sounding like a VW Beetle.
eicheldp
Who said anything about "Less Expensive"?

For them, not necessarily for us....

says it will be called the 718: [autoomobile.com].

Personally, I don't care enough about the sound to want it to be enhanced audio or any of that other silly stuff. I do regret, however, that Porsche is not going with its original 718 idea for a stripped-down sports car free of nanny gadgets, blinking lights for that much-wished-for disco look and enhanced engine sound. The prospective 718 was the first time since I joined the Porsche world that I gave even passing thought to buying a new Porsche instead of a used one.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Times change. Standards and expectations change.

They have to be able to sell cars.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login