Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
How to get the hood open when the battery is dead?
lurky - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 11:30:52 am
Hi,
My car is in the garage with a dead battery.
For a 2007 boxster how do you get the hood open when the battery is dead?
The remote wont work and the switches on the floor by the driver seat aren't working either.
IS there another way to get it open so I can charge the battery?
Thanks
Re: How to get the hood open when the battery is dead?
Paul S. - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 11:43:38 am
Open the door using the key in the lock; then go to the fuse box, and pull out the red terminal; connect the positive terminal of either a battery charger or battery from another car using jumper cables; negative to door jam striker; and the trunk switch will work. Have your key handy because the alarm may go off, and you'll need to reset it.

Or you can plug in a battery maintainer in the cigarette lighter and that should provide enough power for the trunk switch.

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
lurky - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 12:14:20 pm
Thanks!
Hard to believe theres no physical switch
Do you know if there is a way to get the car in neutral when the battery is dead?
I have to push it out of the garage before I can jump it.
Paul S. - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 12:42:14 pm
I don't think lack of power affects putting the car in neutral--I guess do it the normal way and see. Or drive your other car to the nearest walmart and buy a plug in battery maintainer, and if your car's still in warranty, there's always roadside assistance.

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
But some battery maintainers
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 1:43:20 pm
only word with some minimum voltage already present in the battery. They aren't designed to charge a flat battery. So you really need a charger/maintainer. Read the specs carefully.
jwdbox - Saturday, 12 February, 2011, at 4:58:19 pm
You did not indicate but it sounds like you have an automatic- with a stick you can always get it into neutral without the key in the ignition. The easiest way would be to use the maintainer/charger through the cigarette lighter, to at least get enough power to get it out of the garage. Also some maintainers (like the CTEK 3300 I use- they make the identical one for Porsche sans the logo) have an alternate set of clips (in addition to the cigarette lighter plug end) that you could use to connect to the fuse box jumper without getting the car out of the garage. Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 05:26PM by jwdbox. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login