Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've always said that unavailability of a manual transmission is a deal-killer for me for a car -- when I bought a Mustang GT in 1988, which I love for 16 years, I'd thought about a Monte Carlo SS, but no manual; when the new Jag came out a few years ago, although the conversation was pretty much hypothetical, I crossed it off my list for the same reason. Porsche, so far, keeps clutches, but the moment that changes, I'll be history.

Now, for me, there's another feature I won't tolerate. I was looking through reviews of the new Miata, which I think is a pretty appealing car for all the obvious reasons and a new MX-5 is a viable alternative to a used Boxster However, I discover that in the two upper-level trim packages, if you stick with a stick, you get engine sound "enhancement."

What BS. I'd rather drive a Corolla.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
I wouldn't go so far as saying I'd rather drive a Corolla. At least the Miata would be fun. Also, while I agree with you that I'd rather have a stick on a sports car (mine's a manual too)... Below is the typical view I get whenever I decide to take the Boxster to work - mucho traffico, that is really not fun with a stick and clutch. Thank goodness I have another car for commuting that has an auto. Also, the newer PDK/double clutch type transmissions are really good. I drove one with these type of transmissions, and they are def faster than a manual. And when you live somewhere there's regular traffic, it's probably the smarter choice.

boxtaboy
I wouldn't go so far as saying I'd rather drive a Corolla. At least the Miata would be fun. Also, while I agree with you that I'd rather have a stick on a sports car (mine's a manual too)... Below is the typical view I get whenever I decide to take the Boxster to work - mucho traffico, that is really not fun with a stick and clutch. Thank goodness I have another car for commuting that has an auto. Also, the newer PDK/double clutch type transmissions are really good. I drove one with these type of transmissions, and they are def faster than a manual. And when you live somewhere there's regular traffic, it's probably the smarter choice.

+1; depending on your typical driving envirronment, the manual tranny can either make great sense or cause you to cuss everyday that you didn't go PDK.
I remember doing a daily commute in the late 80's driving a 5.0 Mustang with a 5 spd and after a few months of commuting, wondering what it was I was thinking about when I went that route. Contrasting that to the rural area we live in now, the manual is an absolute joy to use.
.. matching means its minimal wear and tear. I never understood why it was such a big deal. traffic sux, regardless of who or what shifts the gears.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I drove my friend's BMW i8... what an incredible achievement that car is. Being an audio nerd, I immediately could tell the sound was being driven through the amps and speakers. What crap. I asked my friend if that sound was processed and he was just plain embarrassed.

Oh well, there certainly is no shortage of people liking fake stuff.... like silicon globes. I never felt comfortable with Porsche sport exhaust... push a button and oooooo....... same fakery to me, it is just a matter of degree.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: i8
Guenter in Ontario - 8 years ago
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S)

Oh well, there certainly is no shortage of people liking fake stuff.... like silicon globes. I never felt comfortable with Porsche sport exhaust... push a button and oooooo....... same fakery to me, it is just a matter of degree.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

I agree about not liking fake stuff like electronically created motor sound tracks. PSE is not electronically created sound. The only electronic part is the switch which opens a muffler bypass valve allowing more of the exhaust sound to be enjoyed.
You better find the perfect sports car pronto, because manuasl is going the way of the dinosaurs. MPG mandates are making it so. Before the new PDK-type systems, a benefit to the manual was increased fuel efficiency. We'll, computers being computers, they have made autos much more efficient and have surpassed manuals in fuel economy and performance (0-60 times are now better in PDK-type cars, than manuals). So, to wring out every last MPG for fleets, manuals are becoming a liability. So, find that perfect sports car, buy it, and do everything in your power to keep it running, maybe even start hoarding spare parts, mainly for the tranny, because maybe by the end of the decade, you won't be able to find any manuals, unless you can import from a thrid world country that doesn't care about fuel conservation and air quality.
About 15 seconds in
Putt-pffft-thrr

Open link and scroll down to "Start the engine"
Maw_of_hell_opens
Sounds totally different but also excellent.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login