Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Boxster questions
dak911 - 8 years ago
After a few years out of BOXSTER ownership, it's time to find one
I need some CONSTRUCTIVE answers...
I am looking to spend $10K, plus maybe a bit depending
I have owned a 2000 S and an 02 Base (manuals)....
The BOSS has spoken and we compromised, (I lost the toss..... it must be an AUTO (gulp)
Looking around the market seems to range from 01 to some 05's (around $15k)
I there a good reason (improved IMS to go to 05 if possible)
I have been reading that the 03 may be one to avoid...(cam/valve problems?)
What else.... ??
Thanks
Daniel
Congrats to owning another boxster. I'd go all the way to 05 just cause you'll need all the power you can get it you have to get a Tiptronic. Also, don't go older than 03, so you can have the glass oem top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 01:03PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
I would factor in the cost of Pedro's DOF modification if buying a Porsche with IMS.
dak911
After a few years out of BOXSTER ownership, it's time to find one
I need some CONSTRUCTIVE answers...
I am looking to spend $10K, plus maybe a bit depending
I have owned a 2000 S and an 02 Base (manuals)....
The BOSS has spoken and we compromised, (I lost the toss..... it must be an AUTO (gulp)
--> the good news is that this means you get more for your money - most people seem to want sticks

Looking around the market seems to range from 01 to some 05's (around $15k)
I there a good reason (improved IMS to go to 05 if possible)
--> not until mid 06 or later did they increase the size. The rest are all the same, except EARLY dual rows....

I have been reading that the 03 may be one to avoid...(cam/valve problems?)
--> what? news to me. I would looks specifically at 03 and 04 for glass rear window, glove box, nicer overall interior

What else.... ??
--> like any used car, buy the best one you can get. In general good cars are slightly under-priced, and crappy cars over-priced. This is true in all markets, one of the best researched is the bordeaux futures market.....
--> the net-out is that you will pay far more to put a mediocre car is tip-top shape than you would pay for a pristine car in the first place, and i would guess that for <$15k you can get a great 2003 or 2004 tip.
--> maint records are king
--> get a PPI - KNOW what you are buying.
--> dont confuse mileage with condition. In some areas regular, distance driving is better than lots of short trips or sitting.

--> Very early cars had slipped sleeve problems, but most of those self -destructed my now. Early 2.5s likely not a great match for the tiptronic.
--> I too have both a base and an S. Honestly, on the street i see no need for an S, unless you want to stoplight drag-race. In fact, the slower car allows me to make it sing more freely - between 4-7k the 2.7 just sings- and moves along very nicely, thank you. That said the torque difference is significant; and may be a factor with a tip. never having had a tip, i cant say for sure.

Have fun shopping - remember, there are lots out there. Wait for the right car.

-Grant
Thanks
Daniel

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Agree completely and add that if you can find a car that has lived its life garaged that would be worth 1-2K. See the thread by MarcW below for a discussion on cost of top replacement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login