Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
to visit Canada. Vancouver, maybe Victoria.

I think I understand the basics of crossing the USA/Canada border: driver's license; current registration; proof of insurance; or and a current passport; but some border crossing stories have me spooked. From what I read the crossing from East Germany to West Germany was easier.

Anyone have any recent experiences crossing over the border one way or the other?

Sincerely,

MarcW.
requirements of what is necessary to cross over and when the crossings are busy or not so busy and possible wait times, hours of operation, etc. was given. Even looked at ferry routes/schedules/costs/restrictions/rules in case I wanted to enter Canada by water and then leave by land or vice versa (to avoid taking the same route there and back). I've never been on a ferry before I thought it might be cool to take a car ferry to or from some place up there, though I want a short/brief ferry crossing route. I'm a landlubber from a way back. I get sea-sick looking at full glass of water.

But the real stories of crossings have me spooked that I'm going to run into a real security nightmare. What I thought I could do is show up with the necessary papers and after going through a security check -- have my papers examined, answer a few questions, go through a car search (though I hope nothing like what was done to the limo in the movie The French Connection!) -- then enter Canada and enjoy myself for a few days, see the sights, etc. I mean I don't mind enduring a reasonable degree of bureaucracy for security purposes but I'm not looking to end up in Guantanamo Bay cause I didn't have a motel reservation or I can't supply a name/address of someone I know in Canada (I don't 'know' anyone in Canada.) before I decided to cross over the the border.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
sightseeing recommendations. He lives in Vancouver.
The worst part about the border crossing ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 24 March, 2011, at 6:51:25 pm
... is on the way back (from Canada) when the lines are very long and the wait time is hours.
If you can time the crossings during low traffic it's not bad.
There aren't too many questions asked.
They just asked where I'd be staying (Canada) and for how long.
I was driving a rental car and they didn't even ask for anything relating to the car.
On the way back it was just the long wait.
BTW this was crossing into Canada in WA, driving up from Seattle.
When I've crossed into Toronto from Buffalo it's hit-or-miss.
Sometimes they'd wave me through, sometimes it would be very thorough.
YMMV.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 06:51PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
i've crossed the border to the US and back quite a few times now. No problem. Like others have said here they ask you the purpose of your trip, how long, where you're staying etc. no big deal. the biggest hassle is that the border wait can be hours long sometimes. would be a good idea to time the border crossing to a non busy period. also, there are 3 crossings; one main one on interstate 5 and two smaller ones a couple km east.
there's a extremely nice wine making region about 4 hours east of vancouver. it's called the Okanagan Valley. Vancouver Island is nice with the provincial capital Victoria. Whistler mountain where the downhill competitions for the olympics last year is a couple hours north of here. lots to do in and around the city.
let me know if you'd like a spot on my 25 cent tour. i'm sure pedro will vouch for it. winking smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Marc, with all these stories...
carlos in Montreal - Thursday, 24 March, 2011, at 7:03:14 pm
it think your watching way to much TV. All you need is a passport and a smilesmiling smiley
Re: Marc, with all these stories...
JerryW - Thursday, 24 March, 2011, at 7:17:00 pm
Take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria. Couldn't be easier. All you need is a passport. Getting back into the US is harder than going in to Canada.
Marc,
You should be fine. I live in Michigan and cross into Canada frequently. As long as you have a passport it is usually routine. The usual questions entering are: what's your purpose?; How long will you be here? Any firearms?, any tobacco?. Sometimes they ask for vehicle registration. If it's not in your name or is leased, it can stall things. The only other time I have seen anybody get a real problem is when they answered "yes" to - Have you every been arrested? Then things get interesting. A buddy of mine had a DUI and they wouldn't let him in because driving drunk is a felony in Canada and they don't let "felons" in. (However, for a $400 onetime fee, you could get a special pass!) Very much a shakedown.

Actually getting back into the states is more rigorous. But as long as you don't have a car full of booze and smokes you should be fine.

Have a great trip. You are taking the turbo, right?

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
car. Turbo is in my name. Title all mine. Registration current. Insured.

I never care firearms, booze, tobacco or drugs other than prescription. I am not interested in duty free shopping on either side of the border.

I think I'm going up there. I need a break and a change of pace. Haven't had any time off since late last Nov. Even toying with the idea of if I can get 2 weeks off (I have 256 hours of vacation time) driving up there and after a few days heading east across Canada then turning south and re-entering the USA and driving down to visit my parents. I've been the 'southern' routes enough times.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Maybe you can cut a deal with Abe, and smuggle a Porsche into Canada for him. winking smiley
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 24 March, 2011, at 10:33:36 pm
Passport required and a special car insurance card that is yellow in color. I go into Cambridge Ontario for business once a month. After a while they don't like me coming across the border for business so much so try to find ways to hassel folks. One is to ask for your proof of insurance. Unreal as Canada will not accept normal insurance card- has to be yellow special card and I could not get this online from my insurance comapny they would only mail it to me.

Most likely they will not ask you for it... they only asked me for it after several trips in in short period of time. But... you neve know.
Marc,

Michelle and I just crossed into the US on Tuesday. Just released from detainment today. ......oh, wait - that was on a TV show. winking smiley grinning smiley

Actually, we drove across at Buffalo. We just showed our passports, were asked where we were going and were sent on our way. 60 seconds tops. It wasn't busy at all at 2PM.

We cross the border 2 or 3 times a year. Worst is lineups at the border if it's a busy time of day.

Just answer any questions. Usually, they'll ask where you're headed. Just give them your destination and keep it simple. I think the people who have problems are ones with smart @$$ answers or making wise cracks.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. Enjoy the drive up. If you have a chance to meet with frogster, I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some sight seeing tips.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2011 10:37PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Marc, have you ever driven the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State? This is one of the great road trips in the west. Spectacular mountains, beaches, hot springs and great little towns along the way. Be sure to visit Lake Quinault Lodge if you go. There is so much to see and do, it's easy to spend a week in the area. Did I mention the mountains? Take HWY101 from the south then from Port Angeles to Victoria is an easy ferry ride. After Vancouver consider going east and cross back to eastern Washington at Osoyoos and south on HWY97. The only border problems are the line ups at Blaine on I5.
It’s been 15 years since I’ve driven the Peninsula and never in a Porsche, I'm glad you've got me thinking about this trip again

[travel.nationalgeographic.com]

Doug (Vancouver) - formally Doug (Victoria)
Marc, +1 on the Olympic Peninsula tour and LQ lodge. Been there, done that - very enjoyable!

Current Love: 2008 RS60; 1st Love: 2001 base, triple black
between now and early May. Not this week but the week after probably or maybe, just maybe, the last couple of days this week and then all next week.

My manager leaves for Australia first part of May (he has family there) and his manager doesn't want both of us gone at the same time.

So the week off I get will be spent driving back to visit my folks. Got to get the Turbo's oil/filter changed before I leave and get the car road-worthiness inspected.

I'll make BC yet though.

Thanks to all for the good advice/suggestions. I've noted it for when I get up there.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Alberta, you'd better have your winter tires on your turbo. We've still got lots of snow on the ground.

BTW, you have lots of friends in Canada. It's just that you haven't met them.

Alex
hoped. One problem car. I have to get this working before I can leave. I will take my car in Thursday AM to get the oil/filter service done but I doubt I can leave on vacation now until this time next week, at the earliest.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Alberta Alex
Alberta, you'd better have your winter tires on your turbo. We've still got lots of snow on the ground.

BTW, you have lots of friends in Canada. It's just that you haven't met them.

Alex

Well, he did meet one of them a year and a half ago. winking smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login