Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
How often are you changing your tranny fluid? I did mine 5 yrs ago, and may do it again.... I haven't driven the Box much since then... only about 20,000km....

[pedrosboard.com]

I did notice a bit of balking again going 2nd to 3rd, but I've only driven about 1 tank of gas so far this year....
Every 90,000 miles.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
5-speed manual, MY 97. Fluid looked like new, no metal on drain plug magnet.

These transmissions are very particular about tranny fluids. Best to use original Porsche or Pentosin brand. My mechanic recommends Royal Purple Synchromax & tells me he installs in his Porsche manual tranny customers. I used Pentosin.

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2023 08:50AM by John Brown of SE SoDak. (view changes)
our cars are particular about tranny fluid & I recommended what I have used, which is Pentosin. I've read a number on Internet postings noting hard shifting when using other brands. Since you're experiencing what you describe as "balking" shifting, perhaps when previously refilled, it was w/another brand? If so, a switch to Pentosin may fix you up.

BTW, I can't imagine how using another brand would hurt the tranny, just maybe stiffen up the shifting a bit.

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World
our cars are particular about tranny fluid & I recommended what I have used, which is Pentosin. I've read a number on Internet postings noting hard shifting when using other brands. Since you're experiencing what you describe as "balking" when shifting, perhaps when previously refilled, it was w/another brand? If so, a switch to Pentosin may fix you up. BTW, I can't imagine how using another brand would hurt the tranny, just maybe stiffen up the shifting a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2023 09:17AM by John Brown of SE SoDak. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login