Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Maybe it's like a waxed car car goes faster, but I swear the mpg has gone up by a few.
For as much as a couple years, the car has had a slight miss at idle as evidenced by the exhaust having "bup" evey few seconds.
That's gone for at least now, and the rpm range has a more turbine-like smoothness. Also, it maybe just the contrast to my trusty old CRX Si I was driving all week, but the car pulls like a freight train.

I suppose the "bup" can indicate the eventual failure of a coil, and wonder if an analyzer can narrow it down to the cylinder. That'd be neat, as a preemptive changeout could be done way before failure.
But not like this:

"Ive just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2024 05:15PM by Laz. (view changes)
Further thought re mileage
Laz - Friday at 8:29:14 am
The #5 coil might've gone because of heat stress from the loose pre-cat below it, but...
(and not definitively knowing what path exhaust gases take) there was no soot on the coil, nor any adjacent surface. With direct injection, quite a lot is produced, as evidences by the tail pipes. Perhaps air was being pulled in, causing the O2 sensor to "see" a lean condition, and enriching the fuel-air mixture, the result being a relatively high fuel consumption. With the tightened sensor, the system is taking proper readings, leading to the better mpg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login