Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hello New Member Here
DarekP - Sunday, 10 April, 2011, at 1:46:15 pm
Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker and lover of all things Porsche! I have always wanted a Porsche since I was about 5. My grandfather had two 911's that I would never get out of when he took me for a ride. After much contemplation and saving I finally got an 03 Boxster with only 18k on it early last year. Since then I have done a number of mods on it (thanks in part to this and other boards) did most of the work myself. To date I have the following:

NHP Exhaust & Mid-Pipes
EVO Intake
Techno Torque 2
S Model Oil Cooler
LN160 Degree Thermostat
Alpine IPod Interface

The only thing, at least for right now, is new tires. Any suggestions? I am leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS which have good reviews on the Tire Rack and are somewhat affordable.

Anyway just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

Darek
Welcome to the board, Darek, smiling smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 10 April, 2011, at 3:37:04 pm
Sounds like you've already had a chance to get some serious permagrin.

Of course, you kow you're not officially here until we see pictures of your car. winking smiley

Feel free to ask if you need any help with that.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: Hello New Member Here
DarekP - Sunday, 10 April, 2011, at 3:55:16 pm
Hi Guenter and thanks! smileys with beer

I took a couple of pics with my phone (crappy quality) but will post some more soon when I get my camera back from a friend.

Querrera - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 9:47:24 am
SUMITOMO III
lacleven - Sunday, 10 April, 2011, at 7:46:56 pm
Hi Darek,

I bought the tires you like a couple of weeks ago and put them on. So far, they are fine and they hold well.

thanks, Larry
Welcome, Darek
Boxsterra - Sunday, 10 April, 2011, at 8:17:39 pm
The best tires for you depend on your driving style and priorities.
A cousin of mine replaced PS2s with DWSs on his Mercedes,
Laz - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 10:50:18 am
and says they're "85%" of how the PS2s perform in dry, warm weather, but are so much more stable in colder weather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 11:05AM by Laz. (view changes)
garyinseattle - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 11:31:26 am
I put the Conti Extreme DWS on my daughters MB C-230. The previous tires were PS2's. I did not really notice a big reduction in handling, like I thought I would, and they worked reasonably well in the one light snow we had this winter in Seattle. They also seem to be a little more smooth and quiet. I have PS2s, N on my 05 base Boxster, and can tell you that they work great, and I personally would not put a compromise tire on my Porsche year round, but I guess that depends on where you live.
Da Roolz
JackintheBoxster - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 6:23:21 pm
Welcome to the Board. There are a few rules you should know about.

1. Always give your full model designation -- i.e., an '01 Base, or a '93 RS America, to set yourself apart from the rabble. We never say simply, "a Boxster" (and certainly not "Boxter), that's for the masses. Same with "911," although I suppose you could get away with the German "neunelfer."

2. Porsche is always the best in any comparison and you are expected to condescend toward owners of lesser marques (brands in pretentious Porsche-speak) no matter what. If someone indicates that they are thinking of trading in their clapped-out '99 base with lots of rust, 156K, IMS failure, AOS and RMS for a race-prepped but road ready Ferrari that comes with a guarantee and, since their uncle is a Ferarri mechanic all service will be free, you should immediatly jump on him (or her) and condemn him (or her) for foolishly considering purchasing an inferior car.

3. By the same token, we Porsche owners are one big happy family and a canny lot at that. Board owners of high-mileage, badly maintained 10-year-old Boxsters know that the owners of brand-new 997 GT3s feel more in common with us than their neighbors driving comparable Lamborghinis, because we're the Porsche owners and the others aren't.

4. It's Porsche singular, Porschah plural. (I know I stole that from someone else on the board)

5. Do not be put off by the smiley faces and such. This board is not populated by 16-year-old cheerleaders. So far as I know.

6. Do not, under any circumstances, try any humor, and certainly not wit or irony. People here will take it wrong. All you have to do is try and say something funny and you will be flamed. See what eventually appears below this message to see what I mean.

7. There is no subject too trivial to start a long debate. Rolex versus Omega are always fun, but it's more challenging to make it faintly automotive-related. Next time you have time on your hands, post a message asking whether battery or manual toothbrushes are better for cleaning out wheel wells. Should go on for about three days.

Memorize these rules thoroughly and follow them and there won't be any trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 06:32PM by JackintheBoxster. (view changes)
I thought the plural was "Porschen." *NM*
Laz - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 10:14:37 pm
Re: Da Roolz
jacknyc - Tuesday, 12 April, 2011, at 3:52:59 pm
Great post (tongue firmly in cheek I assume) ... I permagrinned. the finger smiley

As to tires, I inherited some General Exclaim tires for 18" 987 wheels from a friend who was returning a leased Cayman, and find them to be excellent so far. They're the least expensive that size at Tire Rack, if cost is a consideration,
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Wednesday, 13 April, 2011, at 6:26:03 pm
My first Porsche was also an '03 Boxster, an S with 20K miles on it that I bought in late '06. It was perfect. Was able to afford a new '09S three years later, and that's even more perfect, lol. Drive safe and have fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login