Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Oil gage pressure stop working !!!!
Querrera - Monday, 16 May, 2011, at 11:10:49 am
Hi all...

yesterday I had a warning on my dash, telling me that my oil gage was in trouble. Then the oil gage pressure (located on the extrem rignt of the cluster) stop working and the neddle now always stand in the top and doesn't move along with the pressure. Oil level is fine...Is it a relay or a cluster problem?

Thanks for any help you can have

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 11:11AM by Querrera. (view changes)
possible but less likely cause.

You are assuming the oil pressure is ok but I must point out the oil level being fine is not a guarantee the oil pressure is ok. However were it not ok I think you'd know it by now.

But there is still a risk the oil pressure is not ok and yet the engine has suffered no harm from this. Yet.

So, you might consider avoid starting/running the engine at all and having the car flat bedded to a qualified shop for diagnosis. If the sensor/sendor is bad the cost to fix will not be much (relatively speaking). But a bad oil pump or oil pressure problem can be eliminated which can save you a big wad of money be preventing any engine damage.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
The problem is now intermittant...
Querrera - Tuesday, 17 May, 2011, at 11:16:50 am
This morning the gage was working well... and then stopted again without any lignt this time. In all cases, never the IDIOT LIGHT, like Bill says, is illuminated. And yes it is a Carrera 2003.
Re: Oil gage pressure stop working !!!!
whall - Tuesday, 17 May, 2011, at 11:02:34 am
Are you driving a Carrera? Or, a Boxster with a Carrera instrument cluster? If either is the case, plus the On Board Computer (OBC) is the origin of your "failure indicator" message and the oil pressure "idiot light" is not illuminated, I would suggest that the indicator part of the oil pressure transmitter has failed (the idiot light part is still functioning). The Carrera Owner's Manual says "Oil pressure indicator is faulty. Have the fault remedied at an authorized Porsche dealer.

If the idiot light is illuminated, don't run the engine....especially if the oil level is "normal". It could be a failed oil pressure transmitter - both the indicator part and the idiot light part. But, it could also indicate a true oil pressure problem.

The Carrera oil pressure transmitter has two connectors, one for the oil pressure indicator gauge and one for the idiot light. The Boxster oil pressure transmitter has only one connector - for the idiot light.

The oil pressure transmitter for a Carrera is: 996.606.203.02 - MSRP US$66.60 / CAN$80.02.

The transmitter is located on the top of the cam cover on the front passenger side (US) of the engine.Some people have managed to change the transmitter by reaching it from inside the engine compartment. Others have accessed the transmitter from the right rear wheel well by removing the wheel and liner panel.

Bill
Querrera - Tuesday, 17 May, 2011, at 11:19:35 am
yes Bill a Carrera 2003. The problem is now intermittent, and the IDIOT LIGHT is not illuminated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 11:25AM by Querrera. (view changes)
whall - Wednesday, 18 May, 2011, at 12:47:38 pm
Before you try to replace anything, first check to ensure the wire connectors are clean (corrosion and oil free) and securely attached to the oil pressure transmitter. If you have any handy, you might also spray the connector with an electrical contact spray.

Here's a link to a oil pressure transmitter replacement thread for a 996:

[forums.rennlist.com]

If you are not a RennList member, you'll have to register.

Bill
Thank You very much Bill *NM*
Querrera - Thursday, 19 May, 2011, at 11:43:09 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login