Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2012 Boxsters
JGS - Tuesday, 28 June, 2011, at 11:09:15 am
The lease on my 2008 Boxster expires next month. I'm looking at 2011 Boxsters, but the 2012 models will start being delivered shortly. What are the significant changes, if any, on the 2012 Boxsters as opposed to the 2011s? It's my understanding that midway through the 2012 production run, there will be a significant change to a new model, but my dealer doesn't know what the 2012.5s will be offering.
I hope it doesn't. Ratios might get unnecessarily close in the first six, should they be changed at all. The overall lever movement is going to get ridiculously wide, unless the throws are made shorter, which might be problematical in itself with all those gear selections crammed in. It's not a performance behavior enhancement; strictly for mileage. Boxsters and Caymans won't have the same "oomph" to make a 7th gear useful unless the car is on level or downhill terrain.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2011 11:25AM by Laz. (view changes)
A prediction
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 28 June, 2011, at 12:38:33 pm
Not based on any insider knowledge but rather predicated by the talk from VW/Porsche/Audi re the new baby boxster and the accompanying talk of taking the Boxster/Cayman upscale towards the 911.

More $, more HP, restyled in and out, bigger. But not radically different from now as Porsche has a habit of doing styling first (see 1997, 2005) with old engines and then introducing new engines as a mid-life kicker (see 2000S and 2009).
Re: A prediction
db997S - Tuesday, 28 June, 2011, at 1:04:04 pm
Internet rumors I've seen actually has/had Porsche putting more distance between the Boxster/Cayman and the 911, not just the Baby Boxster, either. The thought is that even though the 2012 Boxster will be slightly larger and wider than the current, the engine will drop down to a turbo charged flat 4 (no idea on hp, torque or displacement). The new Baby Boxster's flat four would not be Turbo charged. Not sure how they fit in an S into that engine mix. The front windshield should have a steeper "rake" to it. Front and rear facia's will be re-worked, as will the side intakes (the one part of the 987 I did not like).

The interior gets reworked as well. Supposedly, better bits and pieces. Dash and console to be reworked and possibly a bigger monitor, most likely from the Pepper. More things shared = more cost savings. Speaking of costs, not sure what the prices will be like, but the new Boxster, while bigger, will most likely be somewhat lighter. Some weight savings will come from dropping two cylinders.

The model designation will be 981. The 911 will be 991. Did Porsche want to steer clear of a 989?

Google for spy shots, I believe there have been some floating on the Internet.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 28 June, 2011, at 8:55:30 pm
I've seen the spy shots.

Decontenting the Boxster to a turbo 4 puts it too close to the baby box in my marketing think. Too many will buy the baby in some brand and the profit won't be there. To my mind the rumors are mixing up the baby and the Boxster. Guess we'll have to see.

I don't think a big HP boost for the 12.5, just the normal 10. Now with the CAFE standards, will they be able to keep the separation as every model gets forced to downsize the engine?
db997S - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 8:36:57 am
supposedly, the HP will remain at 270 for a blown flat four (twin turbo). Displacement is 2.0l. May not be until 2013 at earliest until they drop it in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login