Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
All good things...
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 4:05:10 am
Well, it looks like at 140,000 miles (around 25,000 on track) my '98 engine, though running fine on the street, needs replacement or rebuild before it can do another day at the track. I've had "AOS-like" symptoms of giant oil smoke clouds out the tailpipe under some corner exits hampering my last few track events, but two AOS replacements did not help (the second just in case the first one was defective). I finally had a compression/leakdown test done. Cylinders #1/2/4/5 show a healthy 160-170psi and 3-4% leak, but #3/6 show 125-130psi and 25-30% leaking via the crankcase -- likely ring or cylinder bore problem.

My plan for this year already was to turn it into a Spec Boxster -- put in a cage, strip the interior, and finish of the rest of the requirements and join the Spec class. The car already has the other major Spec items like PSS9/Tarett/GT3 suspension, center radiator, underdrive pulley, etc. and still is in very nice condition. So now I'm trying to think through the options here. What would you do in this position?

- rebuild my motor (cost prohibitive / who does this?)
- buy low mileage junkyard motor (cheapest but big unknown)
- buy Flat 6 Innovations "CPO" (junkyard with reconditioning; not currently available)
- buy factory reman/crate motor (priciest)
- buy a low mileage donor car, swap some spec parts, sell my car (more unknowns)
- other bright ideas...

Trygve
Re: All good things...
old timer - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 6:44:34 am
life is full of unknows, the big one could hit tomorrow, buy the cheap junkyard engine and enjoy it
db997S - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 8:33:17 am
A little more technical, but a cheap junkyard 3.4 engine. Already have the center radiator. If you can find it from the same general year as your car, it is "easier" to do. Add in headers air intake, S brakes, etc.
Do you have or are your prepared to make all the investments you will have to make to go racing? Do you have a tow vehicle? Do you have a trailer? How much mechanical work can you do on your own and how well stocked is your tool chest? Do you have the garage space to work on the car? Or do you have bucket loads of cash and you will pay someone else to do the prep work and haul the car to the track and you will just arrive and drive? I would never ever take a car to race that I needed as a daily driver - even at PCA events stuff happens.

As the old saying goes: "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" Racing will consume every cent you will make available to it +30% more. Yeah, you can go racing on a budget (I've done it) and the Spec class helps, but it is still a damned expensive form of entertainment. Back when I raced a FF (which is pretty close to a spec class), I would probably spend 50-60 hours of prep work to get ready for a race (split between me and 2 buddies that helped crew) as long as there was nothing major that needed to be repaired. Every 3-4 races I would pull the head and clean up the pistons and valves. Once a year I would rebuild the engine (alternating between rebuilding it myself and a professional engine builder). I typically raced 10-12 times per year. And then there was the tire bill............

If you are concerned about the cost of repairing/replacing the motor, then I have to question the budget you would have to dedicate the car to racing. Just my $.02!
Contact me about the engine rebuild...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 11:08:21 am
... we've done several "refreshings" which include piston rings, timing chain guides, IMS bearing retrofit and RMS.
Brings back the 2.5s and they are completely Spec class legal.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Why do you think a rebuild is cost prohibitive?
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 12:52:54 pm
I doubt it would cost as much as replacing the engine but I suppose that depends on how much you can get an engine for and how many problems you inherit with the replacement engine. I would start with pricing those two options as they will be by far the cheapest.

There is no question that buying an LN engine is the most expensive option (their engines start at $15k not including labor). You can replace the entire car for less than that. And the factory replacement is also much less than that.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 29 June, 2011, at 11:50:08 pm
Sounds like a good run so far Trygve. Perhaps you can piggyback Alden on his Spec build. He just picked up a '97 with 191k and is starting his project. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the comments
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Thursday, 30 June, 2011, at 12:10:39 am
Thanks so much for the input, much appreciated.

db997s: The 3.4 idea is out because I want to have a Spec engine (2.5L stock).

jg atl: Believe me, all of those questions have been part of the equation rolling around in my head for the last couple of years, and I am comfortable with the path I have finally chosen (Spec Boxster) to expand my existing racing habit just a little bit. I've been racing for 10 years but at a much less intensive level than you did with your FF, the cost and effort is nothing compared to what you describe. It will go up a notch but not much to start. Only this engine problem has thrown the next step of the conversion into question. The engine repair cost question matters because it seems like the options range from $5000 to $17000, which is a massive difference and worth asking about.

Pedro: I will give you a call to discuss, I like the sound of that. You are the man with the answers!

Boxsterra: I was under the impression via comments from various people and mechanics that the M96 engines are sort of "throw-away" because the cost of rebuild gets close to cost of factory reman. Now, I also hear that the factory engine prices have skyrocketed for various reasons, so maybe rebuild is a good option after all. Not sure who even has experience doing that on the M96. I don't really have hard numbers for much of this yet, which is why I'm asking. I think Flat 6 (not LN) has a program where they find and recondition a still-good used engine (not like mine) -- they show such a 3.2S engine now for $9900, so I presume a 2.5 is less, which might be appealing compared to a total unknown local junkyard engine at half cost.

Bob: Saw Alden's post, good to hear! (He's so tall that a race seat bolted to the floor is probably the only way he can sit comfortably in a Boxster....)

In any case, I should dyno the car as is, so I can regale my competitors with excuses for why my lap times have not been up to par lately. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2011 12:14AM by Trygve (Alameda, CA). (view changes)
Used engines
Boxsterra - Thursday, 30 June, 2011, at 12:28:13 am
(Total ballpark estimates here)
A 2.5L 986 engine should be under $4K
A 3.4L 996 engine should be under $7K

$9900 for a 3.2L engine is highway robbery, especially one with no guarantee.

I don't know what the current engine prices are but I recommend calling Suncoast or Sunset Porsche and ask them what they have/can get and for how much. It's free to ask.
SMILIN - Thursday, 30 June, 2011, at 1:15:19 am
no useful input here...but good luck with your decision. doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login