Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
NBC: My 1st trip to Harbor Freight
Petee_C - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 2:25:05 pm
Yes, I live a sheltered Canadian life.

On the weekend, I hope to take my 1st steps into the great American/Chinese institution that is known as Harbor Freight, (I am American by birth, of Chinese parents, with a Cdn/US citizenship).

Any jems that PB's can recommend?

I am going to look in the back of my Motorcyclist and Car&Driver mags for 20% off coupons.

On my short list of items to pick up:

13pc 1/2" SAE Deep impact sockets - $20
3/8" steel ratchet - $12
3/8" composite ratchet - $9
Gas regulator for MIG - $30

maybe the 1" SDS Rotary Drill (unless I get my holes for the maxjax done before then....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 02:30PM by Petee_C. (view changes)
Re: NBC: My 1st trip to Harbor Freight
joeve - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 4:05:20 pm
Harbor Freight is a great place to shop. Lots of impulse purchase items to buy that you don/t need. The prices are great but you have to check the quality carefully. They have a sales flyer which comes out every 3 to 4 weeks if you get on their mailing list and is also available in the store.

Joe
Re: NBC: My 1st trip to Harbor Freight
Petee_C - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 8:41:12 am
Thx guys.

I hope to drop my wife (+ 1 kid) off at the outlet malls (she's shopping for a few clothes for the kids), and then kill an hour at HF with the other kid.

P
A proper inspection of a HF store...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 9:33:39 am
... takes longer than one hour.
This is something that you need to give yourself some time.
Don't rush it! winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Agree. HF is genius with their pricing.
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 4:46:40 pm
You will likely come home with a lot of things that aren't on your list.

"Sure, I live in the middle of a big city but this chipper/shredder/winch/jackhammer is just too cheap to pass up."
Sometimes they have a great discount...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 4:15:57 pm
... on the 2 ton, aluminum racing jack. I bought mine for $39.00.
The impact sockets are fine, but their chromed pieces leave a lot to be desired.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
+1 on HF
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 7:20:11 pm
I've bought some good stuff there like a floor jack, car air compressor, work bench, and even a tire trailer which I thought were good values. But as others here and on other sites on the Interwebs will tell you, they have good stuff and not so good stuff. I always do a search for the item I want to buy and the words "review". There are even a couple of sites that have sections of reviews on specific HF items.

And, it's a great place to roam through for little trinkets. A real time waster if you want it to be. smiling smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: +1 on HF
Petee_C - Wednesday, 3 August, 2011, at 9:16:02 am
The border crossing last weekend was killer. Probably about a 60 minute wait. Did see a dark blue Florida 986 in the line, with the top down, with the sun beating down on the poor guys bald head. We were in the family hauler, with the AC on, and the slingplayer on in the back.

Anyways, found the HF, the store was clean, relatively well organized for a discount store. I didn't realize the sale was month long, and I was there on July 30th.

Didn't find the ratchets that I wanted, but came upon an extendable 1/2" ratchet ($14) that was pretty smooth. Found a 10' long 12g extension cord ($10) that came in handy, as well as a MIG CO2/Argon regulator for $24 after coupons.

The deep impacts were sold out weeks ago, same with the composite ratchets..... boo hoo.

Came out only $55 lighter in the wallet, which was good because we weren't away long enough to qualify for the $400 limit for returning home.

I will head back again, hopefully will be in the states travelling through to fly to Denver CO, or a mini family ski trip to Holiday Valley, NY.

P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login