Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Time for new rear struts?
Alan Thompson - Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, at 11:55:11 pm
My 01 Boxster S is making a clunking noise as I drive over bumps in the road. Is there anything this might be other than struts? I've found oem Bilsteins for 170 at auto parts warehouse. Any suggestions on alternatives? Sport or heavy duty? I just want the noise gone. Thanks.
It's probably anything but the struts ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 8:04:39 am
... Generally the droplinks go first then one or more of the control arms.
The ball joints wear and make clunking noises.
You'll have to get under the car with the suspension unloaded to test the components.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
My first thought is that the front motor mount was shot
jg wnc - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 9:40:47 am
What year and how many miles on your car? The front motor mounts frequently go out by 40K miles.
If the front engine mount...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 10:03:47 am
... is making clunking noises as he goes over bumps, it's in really bad shape.
But, it could happen. As jg says after 40K mikles they need to be replaced.
Front engine mounts that are done will generally start making noise as you put lateral force on the engine.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: If the front engine mount...
Alan Thompson - Wednesday, 27 July, 2011, at 9:20:02 pm
Ok. Silly question but does the rear suspension have drop links and tie rod ends? I'll get under and check it out. The sound reminds me of my 240 Z when it's struts went out. Sorry for the comparison.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Alright that's what I thought. First Porsche so I appreciate the remedial tutorial. Will get under it and look for worn bushings etc.
One common such problem is sway bar bushing bolts
Boxsterra - Thursday, 28 July, 2011, at 8:34:27 am
they can loosen over time. The fix is to just tighten them to spec (18 ft-lbs.)
[www.pelicanparts.com]

Pelican lists it as a front part, but I recall this being the identical piece at all four corners. My experience, after changing just about everything else out, was that this caused the noise. Oddly enough, although not air temperature dependent, the noise, a low amplitude rattle on sharp bumps, only occurred after the suspension was exercised for a while. Fortunately, I didn't change out the other, more complex arms which are a lot more expensive.

I don't have my invoices handy so as to tell you the exact Porsche part number, but you can ascertain this for yourself.

Alan, I will be very curious what you discover, as I have nearly identical sounding issue on my '01 Boxster S. (standard suspension) This is my 2nd vehicle and only 30K miles unbelievably. My sound is near right rear from best listening....everything feels tight (from driving perspective...have not had it unloaded), but as you said a "clunking" sound similar to a loose bolt or clamp. How many miles do you have? Let us know what you find....
Not a metallic clunk at all.
A couple years apart the noise occurred at the front and rear suspensions. The eventual cure each time was the control arm that I mentioned previously. Again, it will make noise only after the car has been driven a bit; and only on small, sharp irregularities at that. You will not feel or see any play. Last time I had it changed the part was 185 bucks, and both left and rights were changed out because the noise was impossible to locate side to side, even with a microphone attached to the suspension. I had once brought the dealer parts guy some hard to find beer, and when I got the control arms the second time he didn't charge for one.

There are lots of common causes for such clunks
Boxsterra - Thursday, 28 July, 2011, at 3:52:11 pm
I wouldn't take what he finds as a diagnosis of your car.
I'll be sure to post what I find. May be a week or two before I get to it though. Wouldn't it be nice if it was something simple?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login