Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxster pizza and beer transport
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 1:24:44 pm
On the way down to Mosport this weekend, I decided to check out trunk temperatures in the Boxster. I placed one thermometer into the front trunk and another into the back.

In a previous discussion, it was suggested that the rear trunk would be cooler because of the vents it has, where there are none in the front.

I had a small cooler and blanket in the front trunk. I placed the thermometer on the opposite side of the trunk from the cooler.

Rear trunk had a couple of folding chairs and jackets. Nothing that would stop any air circulation.

During this drive, it was sunny, we were headed west, late afternoon with the sun shining directly on the front trunk.

First 60 miles was Interstate style driving, followed by some stop and go. We made a stop and I checked both trunk temperatures.

Later, after 60 miles of straight highway driving, on reaching home, I made the second check.

Here were my findings.

So, my beer still goes in the front and my pizza in the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 01:25PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Did you run your stereo?

I suspect I may have had higher temps in the front due to my constant playing of my system. Since the amp is a heat source, there is no in and outflow of air, the temp may rise. Of course the chassis will absorb heat but if the amp can insert it faster than the chassis can dissipate it, then temps will rise.

I am really surprised your front temps were only a few degrees higher than the ambient temps particularly since it was sunny. Interesting.
Re: Good stuff... question
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 2:04:25 pm
My stereo is ALWAYS on. How can you drive without it? cool smiley

If you're talking about "the other" sound system - it wasn't on. winking smiley I can see that it would pump some heat into the front trunk.

I was surprised by the front trunk temps also and was expecting a bigger difference between ambient and trunk temps. I guess the aluminum hood disspates a lot of the heat with the airflow over the trunk.

I'm sure that in regular stop and go city traffic, trunk temperatures would rise significantly. In Fall, we always store sweatshirts in the rear trunk. when it gets really chilly during a drive, we just grab a nice warm sweatshirt - like fresh out of a drier to put on.
Another good point since
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 4:08:57 pm
dark colours absorb more heat. Of course that would have an effect on both front and rear trunks on a sunny day. Glad I'm cool in my silver Boxster. cool smiley

Maybe Bruce and I will have to go on a TTCE (Trunk Colour Thermal Exploration) run together, since I think Midnight Blue isn't that much lighter than a black car would be.
Ocean blue, a dark blue is a factor I am sure. Plus, there is the Zaino factor, how many coats, etc. Then the bug-splat factor... I am sure that the amount of splats, how big they are, how thick, and what species...

With all of this data, I think..... I think...... don't want to jump to conclusions here...... gotta be data driven....... I think this is why my 4 bars of Lindt chocolate are now part of a Penn State t-shirt and a pair of groovy boxer shorts.
Re: Yes, color is only one of the factors
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 2 August, 2011, at 6:31:49 pm
Oops - Ocean Blue it is.

Well, I've gotta say, you'd sure look groovy, were enjoying your beer 'n pizza while contemplating all this data. smileys with beer

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login