Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I won't be able to make Boxstoberfest this year. (boo hiss etc...)
But I am going up to Kerrville this weekend for a Lions Club function. ( yeah rah etc...)
In the past I had a route planner for all the great roads between here and there, but it must have been on another computer and is lost to obsolescence.
Any suggestions from my fellow Pedrosians would be much appreciated.
I know I've done "21" before and the last time I went up there I ended up near Sisterdale on some fun twisty road.
I tried searching the archives of PPBB but I couldn't find my old info. Thanks for any help!!

Lee
Sorry, I missed Houston as the starting point. Well, still much of what I suggest below I think still applies. Or you could drive to Pearland and then start for Kerrville!

About all I could advise would be to pick up a current road atlas for your area and plot a route that avoids freeways (like I-10 and avoids major cities like San Antonio or Austin. Maybe head up to Jersey Village, then over to Hempstead, and on to Bellville, La Grange, Bastro, and just south of Austin to Dripping Springs (what a name!), Johnson City, Stonewall, Fredricksburg then down to Kerrville.

Or you could go a bit further north west of Austin or even south and west of Austin and take any number of roads over. Just depends upon how indirect route you want to drive.

I've never been down to Kerrvile (I did drive west on 290 from Fredricksburg to I-10 though). However, I am pretty sure I've been on the road from Fredricksburg to Austin where I caught I-35 north but I do not recall much about the road. It must not have been too bad though. However, I was in a hurry to get from Fredricksburg to I-35 and north to visit my parents in MO so I was more interested in a good fast road vs. a scenic road.

No matter which route you take have a safe journey!

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 07:58PM by MarcW. (view changes)
Thought I would post my path here for future reference. Had a blast on the drive, would have taken pics, but the car was filthy eye rolling smiley and the state of Texas is DRY!!! so I didn't want to pull off to the side of the road. Hot mufflers and cats are not good for dry brown grass. I've never seen so much brown and unfortunately saw some smoke in several places. sad smiley

Anyway I started south of Alvin and drove south on 35 to West Columbia. Then FM 1301 to Wharton, FM 102 to Eagle Lake, then hwy 90 to Shiner. Most of these roads were flat, straight, and not very crowded. Don't think I passed more than three cars!
Stopped in Shiner for a namesake brew, but missed the tour of the brewery. Oh well I'll have to go back winking smiley

From Shiner took 90 to Gonzales and then Hwy 183 to Luling. The little town of Luling is on the Texas BBQ trail so I stopped into "Luling BBQ" and got some world class Jalapeno Sausage. Also had another Shiner Bock and checked out the town. When I pulled up to the BBQ joint, I parked between a DPS car and a County Sheriff car. The Constable was next to the sheriff and they all gave me grief about the car and how they KNEW I was speeding and now I'm having a beer. Wanted to know which way I was heading so they could set up the trap, etc.etc.etc. They were chuckling the whole time and when I left they came out to ogle the car and ask a million questions about it. Nice to run into "badges" who are car guys.

BTW if anyone is wondering about the beers, they were about 1 1/2 hours apart. I weigh about 250lbs so I don't think I would have blown anything on a breathalyzer. Add the large sausage plate with mac and cheese and brocolli salad and I certainly wasn't feeling any of it.

Getting back on the road, I headed up 80 to San Marcos, then got into the first of the twisty raods. The RR 12 and RR 32 had light traffic so I was able to enjoy the turns. The next road was RR 473. It was fantastic! Ups, downs, twists, straights, very few cars, WOW!!! This was the best road I have driven in Texas!

About halfway through the drive on 473 I stopped in the town of Sisterdale for a visit to Sister Creek Winery. I realize that saying the best wine in Texas is similar to saying the smartest kid on the short bus, but their Meritage is really very good. Bought a case that went into the front seat next to me since it was averaging 102F all the way so far.

Next was 27 to Comfort and then onto Kerrville. Very nice drive. The 2009 997S was great. Handled flawlessly, with the AC blasting and the ventilated seat on full it was a very comfortable ride. Added about 600 miles to the odometer and had a ball doing so. Averaged about 27 MPH and used no oil! Those who know me know that my back doesn't work. However, with all the stops it never really bothered me. Yea!!
Next time I go up I'll stop for photo ops.
BTW Boxstoberfest buds...
PLStout (Pearland,TX) - Tuesday, 9 August, 2011, at 1:48:25 pm
They have added rumble strips to my favorite part of hwy 16. They also have radar speed signs there as well. The signs don't bother me but I worried about the rumble strips. They are on the straight just before you start a turn. Seems a good way to upset the balance of the car at a bad time. Also would hate to be riding a motorcycle over them just before the turn.

I suppose someone other than me has hit the guardrail there and they are trying a new tactic. eye rolling smiley

New asphalt on a lot of the roads up there was a very welcome addition!
Hope y'all have fun up there this year, maybe I can get back on track for next year's event.

Lee
to get a better feel for where you went.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Lee, that sounds like a great drive. Don't think I will make Boxstoberfest this year. I usually go I-10 to Luling and after stopping for Q I take 80 thru San Marcos then 12 and 32 like you did. Instead of turning off at 473 I continue on to Blanco where I pick up 1623 and then 1888 to 1376 thru Luckenback an on to Fred. 473 sounds like a great road. 1623 and 1888 are also great up and down roads. Maybe we can make BF nest year.

Norm
Looks like you took a much better route than I suggested.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login