Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Where to find replacement front bumper cover?
catalogguy - Sunday, 7 August, 2011, at 6:40:33 pm
Hi All,

Boy this place sure looks different! I even had to recreate my user account. Pedro, sounds like you're the man we thank for keeping the "Boxster Board" in business - thanks!!

Recently, while backing out of a parking space, the front nose came completely off the car. The parking block was not unusually large, nor was I deeply planted on it, so I am guessing the mounts had just become so weak from hitting the driveway that it was ready to go.

I don't think I can remount this spoiler because of the damage. The mounting ears that fasten near the wheel well corners have been completely broken off the spoiler and remain attached to the car. I would like to make it usable if possible, but no idea how. If there is a way to remount it, I would like to know!

If replacement is inevitable, what's the preferred way to do it? I recall some years ago it was easy to find a gently used bumper cover on ebay. People were replacing Boxster stock with 996 and GT3 styles. But now there are a few after market options are pricey, and few factory original pieces. The car is a black 2000 986S. Does anyone recall what years of 996 would be compatible? Or have any other ideas? Very open to suggestions! Thanks

[picasaweb.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2011 06:41PM by catalogguy. (view changes)
Re: Where to find replacement front bumper cover?
Ruby - Sunday, 7 August, 2011, at 6:53:07 pm
Try this. I've bought from them in the past and seem very reliable. they have an '02 and 03 in stock which might fit.

[dcauto.gotdns.com]
The 996 ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 7 August, 2011, at 9:29:01 pm
... from 1999 and 2000 will fit the 986 without modifications.
2001 and newer have the different headlights and fenders.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
DFW02S - Monday, 8 August, 2011, at 11:18:22 am
My experience with this company has been very good.
Bumper
catalogguy - Monday, 8 August, 2011, at 1:38:30 pm
Thanks for the info!

DFW, you have bought from them? I contacted them about info (they list info for the 2001 S and omit 2000, but I expect it's the same) and asked for a pic of the unit installed on car. Hard to tell the styling differences from my OEM from the pics in the auction.
DFW02S - Monday, 8 August, 2011, at 1:43:24 pm
I have their short shifter and test pipes. I'm very happy with the quality and installation process.
Saved 16 pounds off the back end of the car with test pipes instead of secondary cats!

I usually contact George there, 214-629-1299.
Mike
catalogguy - Monday, 8 August, 2011, at 1:48:29 pm
Good to know, thank you!
catalogguy - Tuesday, 9 August, 2011, at 5:19:37 pm
So I can get the bumper cover as low as about $400, but paint costs an additional $500. Hoping to bump into a black one!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login