Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
03S crank failure
juliof16c - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 12:26:17 pm
I had 25,000 miles on my 03S and the crank failed this week. Porsche dealer is saying that it is better to replace the engine than try and fix what is guessed at the failure. Cost is $20,00 for a new engine, 3.2L, with 2 yr warranty. Almost the value of the car but it has been a garage queen and in excellent condition. I can't seem to understand why the crank failed at such a low mileage. I was worrying about RMS leaks but would be glad to have that now. Any comments/ suggestions? I'm in Bahrain so not much choice (one) on dealers to work with.
Re: 03S crank failure
Capt Ron - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 1:01:32 pm
Crank Failure? What was going on at the time the engine quit?

Porsche dealer is saying that it is better to replace the engine than try and fix what is guessed at the failure.

Since they don't know for sure, might this be a case of the malady that dare not speak its name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 01:02PM by Capt Ron. (view changes)
Re: 03S crank failure
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 3:28:41 pm
Capt Ron

Porsche dealer is saying that it is better to replace the engine than try and fix what is guessed at the failure.

Since they don't know for sure, might this be a case of the malady that dare not speak its name?

What we do know with some certainty is that a call to "you know who" will result in an immediate diagnosis of that one "malady". drinking smiley
If you decide to replace the engine
Boxsterra - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 1:32:42 pm
Why replace it with a new one? I don't know what the relative prices are over there but a used replacement engine for your car in the US is probably 3-5k USD.

Also, there must be other Porsche mechanics that don't work for the dealer. I would get a second opinion before making a decision. Replacing the engine doesn't require any appreciable Porsche-specific knowledge so it doesn't have to be done by the dealer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 06:34PM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Excellent advise, Boxsterra thumbs up *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 3:29:32 pm
The car came with a 4 year 50K mile warranty and the car has covered barely 25K miles so in spite of the severity of the (rare) failure its appearance at 25K miles is consistent with what I would expect if the failure appeared at all.

For my 02 Boxster 2.7l I was quoted under $17K for a factory engine with core exchange (my old engine) and under $27K (IIRC) for the same engine with no core or exchange. These prices didn't include labor to R&R the engines.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login