Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Removal of camber plates
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, at 10:51:40 pm
As part of my Spec Boxster conversion, my TRG front camber plates need to come off the car. (BSR rules allow either camber plates or GT3 control arms (preferred, and which I've already had installed. I've got PSS9's on the car as well.

Two questions:
1. Am I correct in thinking that for the top end mount, I can just secure the PSS9 top to my old stock P38/030 suspension parts' triangle-shaped top mounting plate / dish washer / nut?
2. Will I need any special tools like a ball joint splitter or spring compressor? Something tells me the suspension doesn't just "droop" on its own to allow the top end to come out.

If I can do this at home, it seems like the change in ride height / alignment should not be so severe as to prevent driving to get an alignment.

Thx!
Re: Removal of camber plates
jg wnc - Thursday, 22 December, 2011, at 5:42:43 pm
I have taken MacPherson struts apart on other cars, but not the Boxster. Assuming the job is similar, the only special tool you will need is a spring compressor.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 12:00:46 am
As jg says, for the front suspension you don't need any special tools.
Since you already have PSS9s just release the tension on the springs by lowering the adjustment rings.
Then loosen the top end camber plates completely.
Press down on the brake rotor and the whole assembly should drop.
Replace the camber plates with the upper strut supports. The will fit the shock's shaft.
Make sure you use the two large offset washers (one under and one over) the support.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 01:17PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Friday, 23 December, 2011, at 1:06:35 pm
Thanks, Pedro. Sounds eminently doable!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login