Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
[www.autoblog.com]

Body panels all aluminum.

3.4L, 315hp & 0-60 in 4.7s for the S.
The flat six lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Six speed it is.

In showrooms by summer for those who are waiting.
Porsche has a micro site for the 981
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 8:56:22 am
For me, this is the worst looking Boxster yet
Charlie (Sacramento CA) - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 12:13:35 am
The 987 was showing some "tendencies" to squaring off and flattering curves, but with this one the transition is complete. I am not reminded of the 1993 concept or the 550. It isn't a bad looking car, and it is mercifully free of the design cliches that are rampant today. But it isn't the Boxster that took my breath away.
Re: For me, this is the worst looking Boxster yet
John in Orlando - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 12:39:03 am
Just the opposite for me.

Feel like they've finally fixed all the awkward styling cues (e.g., puny side vents) from the 986/987. More aggressive, but still very shapely, even edgy, for a Porsche.
Re: OFFICIAL: 2013 Porsche Boxster = mini-carrera GT
boxster99 - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 6:22:33 am
Love it!! Only if I can afford to part with my '99. Still have the same feeling as day one :-))

Tony
The front and side views are good, but looking from straight back, the rear bumper is way too rounded and bulbous.

I agree with Charlie - not the car I fell in love with.
Agree with the back end. Used to be one of the better attributes of the Boxster. Don't like that spoiler going into the tail lights. Kind of reminds me of an older six series rear end, particularly from viewing above, like Geunther posted pix below.
Guenter, sorry i mangled the spelling of your name.
db997S
Guenter, sorry i mangled the spelling of your name.

Better my name than my Boxster. winking smiley
$77k for my choices
I see it on Porsche's site. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 9:51:33 am
I am generally in favor of Porsche redesigns (I even like the early 996s and the Panamera!), but I am not digging the big split side vents or the front view of the 981. It reminds me of the last generation MR2 ( I think the front view of the 987.2 is perfect, especially on the Spyder). And the rear line cutting across the 981 in the back seems gimmicky to me. Maybe if the side vents were body-colored it would look better to me and less flashy. Overall, I'm disappointed. I think Porsche would have needed to change to a hardtop convertible like Ferrari has to persuade me to put in an order at this point.... now if they announce a Cayman Targa I will put a deposit down now.

Current: 2009 Boxster
Previous: 2003 Boxster

Long Ago... first generation MR2!
I was surprised to see that the Xenons, Self-Dimming Mirrors, and the Windstop are still options. Other surprises included standard 18-inch wheels. My configured car came to $61,400, but I couldn't locate PSE, which I would like on my next Porsche.

Boxster $49,500
Packages P90 Infotainment Package $3,860
Exterior Colors 4V Convertible Top in Black $0
B4 Carrara White $0
Interior Colors AG Partial leather / sports seats in Black $0
Exterior 603 Bi-Xenon headlights with Porsche
Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
$1,560
P13 Automatically dimming interior and
exterior mirrors with integrated rain
sensor
$690
Performance 475 Porsche Active Suspension Management
(PASM)
$1,790
Wheels 423 20-inch Carrera S wheel $3,120
Interior P08 Sports seats (2-way, manual) $0
Destination Charge
Amount $950
Vehicle price $61,470
As they've done with early years of a new model,
Laz - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 1:37:58 pm
there are specific features only available as part of a package, and even another package required to get the first package. To get a mechanical limited slip, one has to order PTV. To get PTV, one has to order PASM. I discovered to get a similar configuration with the new Boxster S as the old Cayman S, the cost is only a couple hundred dollars different. Of course, the new Cayman will have a base price increase, which, going by the Boxster increase, might be about 2000 more.
Current: 2009 Boxster
Previous: 2003 Boxster
Long ago: 1st Generation MR2
Less Long ago: 91 MR2 Turbo spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I always preferred the original, 986 vent shape versus the 987's. They were part of the repeating forms of the side view mirrors, windows, doors overall, etc. The 987 Boxster vents had to do with conforming to the Cayman's requirements, where the general shape integrates much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 10:38PM by Laz. (view changes)
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
$77k for my choices

$75k for mine.
I'd say this is the first major over haul since '97. It's said chassis is all new...hmmm. Looks more up scale and less pure sports car, so maybe there will be a new entry level car coming ?
First, I'm glad Porsche's website moved on from using Flash. Now I can see it all on my iPad.

Second, I don't like the styling of the new Boxster. It looks like a poor man's Carrera GT. The door cutouts and the winglets on the tail lights are form, not function.

The interior looks like a poor man's Panamera.

I prefer the clean look of my 2006 Boxster.
I'd like to hear everybody's opinion again in a few months...
SPG356 - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 2:06:02 pm
I'd like to hear everybody's opinion again in a few months... when they see it in person.

I've been in the auto business 20+ years and many a time have people been disappointed by pictures only to be excited when seeing the car for real. And it goes both ways...I've lusted for a car in pictures only to be supremely let down when it goes into production.

Let's hope we all just end up liking it!!
I'll put my cards down now. I predict it will be a huge hit, and it'll look even better in person.

For a relatively modest base price upgrade, the car's been improved tremendously. Styling cues from the CGT & 918, roomier and more upscale interior, lighter weight, more hp/liter, better chassis, mechanical LSD available, looks like a real dry sump now, plus PDK. With sport chrono (launch control) and PDK, *Porsche* is claiming 0-60 in 4.5s. That is just...ridiculous.

Porsche's masterpiece just got a lot more masterful, IMO.
No, but I am. It's my pseudonym.
What's the definition of "market launch" date?
Laz - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 4:38:00 pm
Would that be when orders can be taken by dealerships?

Press Release
Re: What's the definition of "market launch" date?
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 4:48:45 pm
Laz
Would that be when orders can be taken by dealerships?

Press Release

I believe the market launch date is when the car is officially unveiled to the public. Judging from the date give there, that is the date of the Geneva Auto Show.

My guess is that dealers would be able to take an order if you went in now. I doubt that they'd be able to give you any kind of delivery date at this point.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
I like the progression...
patrick - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 8:45:28 pm
The side doors and larger integrated air scoop give it a more aggressive, exotic, Italian like styling look.
Aluminum body panels will make it lighter, more prone to door and rock dings and more expensive to insure and repair.
Hope that rear spoiler does not partially cover the tail lights. A little weird.
I bet it they will hit it out of the park again with the new incarnation.
I'm so very sorry....
Dave In MD - Thursday, 12 January, 2012, at 8:49:04 pm
but I like it. lower, wider, faster. What's not to like? Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
IMHO from the 45 degree view of the side from the front, the car looks very attractive. But the other 2 views shown above (270 degree view of the front and 210 degree view of the rear) are awkward. If the front intakes were smaller, I would like the front view (Although less efficient, I prefer the smaller intakes from the 986. It makes the front end look too heavy.). On the side view, the front fender/quarter panel looks too high in relation to the door height. The rear spoiler is very strange. Too many creases/transitions at the rear bumper. I would have to chose the model insignia delete option. Too much advertising.

Other dislikes: Door mounted mirrors, oversized front intake vents and flattened wheel well arches (986 design much better). The color choices are lame. At least as shown on the configurator. I hope that they look better in person. None of the colors appeal to me.

Likes: The power increase and pound shedding. I really like the interior. Definitely an upgrade over the 986. I am glad that they finally got rid of the oval vents. They did not blend well with the steep rake of the dash on the 987. I think that the center console looks good. But, there are lots of switches to attend to. Can you reach the ones on the north side of the stick shift, especially when the car is in 1st, 3rd or 5th gear? I like the better placement of the sports chrono. I prefer the retro 911 style of the door storage compartment as compared to the 986.

Other: Is the exterior door handle an expensive design and a potential difficult alignment spot, since it is placed between the flatter plane of the upper door panel and the steep crease of the door intake shape. Does the shape of the spoiler create a snag hazard when the rear trunk is open?

My configuration: $77,320. I like leather and most of the bells and whistles. :') A lot money for the extra power and speed versus my '00 S.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 11:08PM by Tony in Whittier. (view changes)
Colors
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 1:01:23 am
The colors really do not show up very well on my computer. Platinum silver and gt silver just look grey. I am sure they must look much better in person. Can anyone tell me how these two silvers compare to Arctic silver?

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Colors
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 9:13:00 am
I agree that the configurator doesn't show the silvers very well. Here's GT Silver between to Arctic Silvers.

Re: Colors
Laz - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 10:21:51 am
Platinum is ever so slightly warm- a bit of taupe to it. GT is slightly darker than Platinum and Arctic. There should still be a green option, and a neutral medium gray, namely Seal Grey, which worked so well with a blue top and interior. Meteor was nice, but on the warm side, akin to what Platinum is. The new Agate Grey appears to be perfectly neutral, but it's dark; not at a halfway point between the silvers and Basalt Black.

Odd looking spoiler aside, I'm now pondering ordering a Boxster S, rather than waiting until who knows when for the Cayman. I'll need to see Agate in the flesh in natural light to be certain of its neutrality before selecting the blue top and interior. The Yachting Blue interior looks on screen to be a little warmer than Sea or Metropol Blue, and might be ok with Platinum.

A complete aside: Perhaps its my computer, but from time to time I see images of what should be Guards or Ruby Red cars that render as dull orange. I believe that to be the original image's "color space" being improper in some respect.
Pro/Con:

+1 on the colors and the spoiler:
- I think it was a mistake to dump AS and the darker greys for these new colors. Agreed on the colors as portrayed on the configurator--if they really looked like that I don't think they'd sell many other than in basic colors. How about that green/gold color? Probably wouldn't hurt resale value much..smiling smiley
-The spoiler's extension into the rear stop lights looks like a styling exercise taken to it's illogical conclusion.
-20" wheels--what, no chrome option?

On the plus side
--real gauges (oil pressure, oil temp) on a sports car--what an idea! Just hope they aren't idiot gauges like the current temp gauge in our 987.
--The inside looks well thought out, but the console looks a bit too sedanish.
--The side scoops don't look as bad as I thought they might and make more sense than what they did with the 987, which look like they just gave up.

Overall I like it: a bit more agressive than earlier models while keeping a lot of the original styling--and they kept the weight down.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, the spoiler looks odd; a bit "Flash Gordon," but it can be considered to be more effective than previous ones. Even in the down position it stands proud of the surrounding body work, and it might act a little more like a wing, possibly utilizing the airflow more efficiently. That it extends into the taillights also likely makes it more effective. Perhaps the greater lateral (and longitudinal) surface allows for less compromise.
It reminds me of the MR2, also.

I must have lost track of time. I thought the 2012s were just released. And the 981 is a 2013 available this summer?
981 & MR2
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 12:25:13 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
It reminds me of the MR2, also.

I must have lost track of time. I thought the 2012s were just released. And the 981 is a 2013 available this summer?

Manufacturers often release cars early in the year with next year designation. (I bought a 1991 Passat in March of 1990). Most manufacturers generally release a next year's model around summer - like the 2012 Boxster (not that many where built) were at dealers sometime in August 2011.

I suppose that any car with side vents could be considered to look like an MR 2. Yes they have the same obvious features, round wheels, raked windshield, side air intakes, but I have no trouble telling the difference between these two cars. One looks way better to me than the other. (added the 3rd one as it also has side vents and also doesn't remind me of an MR 2.)

I think the 2013 is STUNNING
Roger987 - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 3:33:17 pm
There are a few things I might change - the spoiler carved into the tail lights, the mirror mounted to the door, the interior door pull ( I prefer the 987's), the cheese-grater dash-top vent.

But I'm being picky. There's little doubt in my mind that Porsche has hit a home run.

Configured with my preferences, it's over $75k U.S., translating to $100k in my driveway. In reality, I'd have to win the lottery to feel comfortable parting with that kind of change when my 987 still feels new and 'just right'. And, since I don't buy lottery tickets, chances are the only time I'll see one parked outside my house is when Guenter comes to visit. winking smiley
Re: I think the 2013 is STUNNING
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 4:09:49 pm
Roger987
There are a few things I might change - the spoiler carved into the tail lights, the mirror mounted to the door, the interior door pull ( I prefer the 987's), the cheese-grater dash-top vent.

But I'm being picky. There's little doubt in my mind that Porsche has hit a home run.

Configured with my preferences, it's over $75k U.S., translating to $100k in my driveway. In reality, I'd have to win the lottery to feel comfortable parting with that kind of change when my 987 still feels new and 'just right'. And, since I don't buy lottery tickets, chances are the only time I'll see one parked outside my house is when Guenter comes to visit. winking smiley

I'm with your Roger. I'm don't care for the spoiler in the tail lights. It just takes away from the smooth curves. ...and yes, those Civic mirrors don't belong on a beautiful car like the Boxster. My BIG finger crosser is the position of the gear shift lever, but you can't tell that for sure until you actually sit in one and drive it.

I also hope they bring out a nicer silver than the Platinum. I like the GT Silver .....but $3K .....ouch. eye popping smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 04:10PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 6:36:33 pm
Roger987
.... And, since I don't buy lottery tickets, chances are the only time I'll see one parked outside my house is when Guenter comes to visit. winking smiley

grinning smiley I give him no more than 2 years, Roger. grinning smiley
Could be, Gary. It depends on
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 11:14:10 pm
which one of you two buys me a winning lottery ticket. smiling bouncing smiley
My best guess is Guenter will own a 2014, eventually
Roger987 - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 12:56:23 pm
But maybe he'll wait a bit and pick-up a pre-loved' model.
And perhaps drive it to LeMans. *NM*
Laz - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 1:00:19 pm
Laz - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 6:58:21 pm
A little while back I sold my 2001 to a friend, and hadn't driven it in a while until today. Dang, it feels... it feels... well it feels perfect. I'll be ordering a new one soon (decided I still want a convertible rather than a Cayman,) but I don't begrudge anyone for not wanting to part with any 987, or 986 for that matter. Happy Motoring!
agree, stunning.... *NM*
Motobob - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 10:32:16 am
Comparing the Boxster spoiler position vs. the GT's
Laz - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 10:31:01 pm
The GT spoiler is likely in a more optimal position for dealing with airflow, but the short deck of the Boxster would make the same position (forward of the taillights) aesthetically unacceptable. When you look back at the duck and whale-tails of the early Turbos, etc., they do look pretty weird, and screw up the side silhouette, let alone the back view. We mostly just accept, and find some aesthetic basis for them because Porsche determined they helped resolve a major problem. The GT by nature is a more radical, race-purposed design, given less purely aesthetic considerations. It's akin to how a lot of colors work on sports cars that would look crazy on more mundane cars. A Camry in Peridot Metallic, anyone?
impressions
Steve (Morro Bay) - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 11:33:00 am
I think I like it for the most part. The exterior is mostly cool looking, but I wish the ass weren't so fat and proudly branded, and that the spoiler ridge didn't do what it does (those will be some cool reverse lights though).

I don't like the panamera interior, and I like it less in a boxster. I like the screen in place of the round gauge, but otherwise the interior is too crammed and square. I'd feel a like the 1:35 mark of this [youtu.be].

And finally a porsche web site that works without melting my computer!! Nice to actually see what they're selling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 11:42AM by Steve (Berlin & LA). (view changes)
Great looking car! *NM*
Bob D - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 4:36:49 pm
I really like the 981...
boxsterg - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 7:52:21 pm
I thought I would not like it it based on the spy photos but it has truly surprised me with the changes. I like the front bumper and new headlights. The side intakes are quite a radical change for Porsche I think but it wil surely increase the sales of the struggling Boxster and Cayman in the future. The spoiler is quite a surprise that i think some will either like or hate. I personally could go either way on this one. I do think they nailed it on the interior as they moved the wart to be integrated and the airvents are modified. My configuration (981 S) was $81K compared to $72K when I was comtemplating a 987 S. That is still quite a lot of money for a Boxster which originally was introduced for $39,900.
Re: I really like the 981...
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 13 January, 2012, at 8:53:51 pm
boxsterg
My configuration (981 S) was $81K compared to $72K when I was comtemplating a 987 S. That is still quite a lot of money for a Boxster which originally was introduced for $39,900.

Well to be fair about the price. The $39,900 Boxster is now $49,500 which includes a lot of improvements and upgrades over the '97 model (64 HP, PSM, TPMS, OBC, biggers wheels, better suspension, etc, etc . I'm guessing your configuration was an S which wasn't available back then + a lot of goodies, many of which weren't availabe back then either. I doubt that anyone was actually able to buy a Boxster for $40K because they generally come to the dealers with at least $5 - $6K in options and most with much more. So your $81K would be getting you a LOT more car than a non-optioned '97.
I want LSD. Now it's part of PTV. I'll bet it's a great system, but still... And of course you have to get PASM to get PTV, which really doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary as a systemic requirement. (Ok, maybe optimal shock tuning = optimal tire contact = reduced wheelspin.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2012 10:16PM by Laz. (view changes)
Oh I know that Porsche options aren't cheap and it seems that European auto makers tend to package option like you say, sometimes to get one package, you have to buy another. I've run into that with other cars too.

If a car is in high demand, they can get away with loading cars up.
The base cost has gone down since 1997
Boxsterra - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 12:12:14 am
$40k in 1997 = $56k in 2012
Is $40 1997 = $56 2012? 40% depreciation in 15 years. Sounds like a lot, but that is not my point.

Even if a 2013 (new model year) costs about the same in constant dollars, the car is now so much more:

Glass rear window;
Which goes up/down under 30 mph;
with improved sound proofing in the top;
6 speed;
nice increase in power;
no IMS;
DFI;
vario cam plus;
PASM is standard (nice and important);
true dry sump?;
more airbags.

Not to mention a better sound system; aux in; and probably other things that don't come to mind as I write. Plus, although you do have to pay for them, there are options that were not available before: heated seats, self dimming mirrors (this came on my 2008 and I love it), bi-xenons, GPS, limited rear diff, and others. These option allow for folks to get a "better" car personalized to them (limited diff for DE'ers; heated seats for comfort).

Note, the standard sunroof on the 911 is now an option for $1,490. Porsche has taken nothing away from Boxsters. OK, you don't get a spare tire and there is not a dipstick (I wish I had both), but on the whole there is more put in than taken out. In constant dollars, I think that Porsche has done good by the Boxster.
Yes, I agree with your point
Boxsterra - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 10:29:36 pm
You get a better car with more choices of options for less money. Another important option you didn't mention is the "S" package.

(though I don't agree with your math, which was not really your point anyway -- 2013 base price is ~$50k, which is 11% cheaper than in 1997)
The problem with this debate is that ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 16 January, 2012, at 7:53:51 am
... in 1998 I had the $52,000 that my car cost (base with options) but today I don't sad smiley
Such is life.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Two things I know I don't like (function, not design)
Bobtesa - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 3:32:00 am
I may get time to post thoughts about the car's shell later, but reading the web special, there are two things that I really don't like.

1. I could be wrong on this, but I don't see a HAND BRAKE. The new 911 has a mechanism that controls roll back on an incline. With even a little bit of driving skill you don't need this except on a severe slope. On a severe slope I like using the hand brake in conjunction with the clutch and gas. But, then I am an old fart and like the old ways. Gimme the manual tranny. Also, give me a hand brake. I wonder if Porsche will offer an optional hand brake?

2. Say what!!! From the web special:

"The Auto Start Stop function, which is integrated as standard in the new Boxster models, switches off the engine automatically when, for example, you stop at traffic lights, select neutral and release the clutch pedal. The engine will restart as soon as you operate the clutch. This fuel-saving innovation is designed primarily for use in towns or congested freeway traffic."

I hope that the driver can turn this thing off. Forget about stopping the engine and restarting at lights. Let me describe why I don't like this.

First, my routine at start-up is to get in the car, push in the clutch, turn the key to start, and then release the clutch. It is still in neutral, but the engine is running. Then I put on my seat belt and glasses (they stay in the car, I only need them for distance, not reading), turn on my lights (always drive with them on), press some other buttons (like top down or windows down), set up my nano if I want music, and then after about 45 second, release the hand brake and drive. Will this not be possible anymore? That is, a 45 second warm up? I also like listing to the engine for that 45 second before driving.

Second, I am trying to imagine this in heavy traffic. 99.9% of my Boxster driving is in the country, but I have been stuck on roads behind an accident or some such. What is the effect of having a car re-start 50 times in a day? How long will the starter motor last? If you want to keep the engine running at a stop, you have to keep the clutch pressed in. I don't know for a fact, but I have heard and read that is not could on wear and tear. I sincerely hope that this can be turned on for city driving, and off for more regular driving.

I might love the new looks (I don't know yet), but I might not like the new car.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Auto Start Stop is defeatable (whew!)
Laz - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 9:04:19 am
The center console has a button with an "A" on it. That's the defeat switch. I suppose the system is on by default with each key-operated start-up. The hill-hold function seems a little weird, and give me a real handbrake any day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 09:06AM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Auto Start Stop is defeatable (whew!) +1
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 9:12:12 am
I missed reading about that.
You are right. Somewhere in the description I saw that it now has an electronic hand brake which I'm guessing just locks up the back wheels which I don't think would be useful in an emergency situation if you need the handbrake to slow the car.

I also share your concerns over the start stop feature. I'm not sure how much gas you actually save by turning off the engine for between 30 - 60 seconds at a light. When you turn (or it turns itself) on, the throttle is blipped, using the gas you might have saved. Also, what happens with the running A/C or heater when the engine stops?

And of course there's the wear and tear on the starter. When I drive into town, there are 11 stop lights which are not timed, so I usually hit at least 8 or 9 red. So for easy calculation, lets say I hit 10 red. Now instead of 2 starts - one on the way in and one on the way home, I now have 20 starts assuming no side trips/stops. So based on a 5 day work week and not counting other drives:

No start stop
1 day 2 starts
5 days 10 starts (one work week)
50 weeks 500 starts

Start Stop system
1 day 10 starts
5 days 100 starts (one work week)
50 weeks 5000 starts

That's a LOT of extra starts in just one year and it doesn't even take into consideration weekend driving. I can see a lot of starters being replaced. It's a "feature" for which I'd definitely want an override switch for to be able to turn it off.

Bobtesa
I may get time to post thoughts about the car's shell later, but reading the web special, there are two things that I really don't like.

1. I could be wrong on this, but I don't see a HAND BRAKE. The new 911 has a mechanism that controls roll back on an incline. With even a little bit of driving skill you don't need this except on a severe slope. On a severe slope I like using the hand brake in conjunction with the clutch and gas. But, then I am an old fart and like the old ways. Gimme the manual tranny. Also, give me a hand brake. I wonder if Porsche will offer an optional hand brake?

2. Say what!!! From the web special:

"The Auto Start Stop function, which is integrated as standard in the new Boxster models, switches off the engine automatically when, for example, you stop at traffic lights, select neutral and release the clutch pedal. The engine will restart as soon as you operate the clutch. This fuel-saving innovation is designed primarily for use in towns or congested freeway traffic."

I hope that the driver can turn this thing off. Forget about stopping the engine and restarting at lights. Let me describe why I don't like this.

First, my routine at start-up is to get in the car, push in the clutch, turn the key to start, and then release the clutch. It is still in neutral, but the engine is running. Then I put on my seat belt and glasses (they stay in the car, I only need them for distance, not reading), turn on my lights (always drive with them on), press some other buttons (like top down or windows down), set up my nano if I want music, and then after about 45 second, release the hand brake and drive. Will this not be possible anymore? That is, a 45 second warm up? I also like listing to the engine for that 45 second before driving.

Second, I am trying to imagine this in heavy traffic. 99.9% of my Boxster driving is in the country, but I have been stuck on roads behind an accident or some such. What is the effect of having a car re-start 50 times in a day? How long will the starter motor last? If you want to keep the engine running at a stop, you have to keep the clutch pressed in. I don't know for a fact, but I have heard and read that is not could on wear and tear. I sincerely hope that this can be turned on for city driving, and off for more regular driving.

I might love the new looks (I don't know yet), but I might not like the new car.
With redundant brake circuits, modern materials, and proper maintenance, hydraulic brake failure has to be about as rare as a left-handed smoke shifter. Stability controls aside, yanking on the hand brake could lead to a bootleg turn.

Start Stop seems Stupid. Given that, the system will run AC, etc., unless there's an electrical state of charge or temperature issue. There's something about this on the Microsite.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 01:06PM by Laz. (view changes)
Yes, I know the emergency/park brake is anachronistic with how brakes are now set up, but I like its "retroness". Every 2-seater in the 50's and 60's had them. And, I'll bet Miatas still have them. This is not in the league with a manual vs. pdk, but neat just the same. In 14 years of driving my Boxsters, I may have used it maybe 5 times on hills. If I ever get a 981, I'll miss, even though just a little, letting the brake off before driving and setting it at the end of each drive. There is just something about pushing that button and lowering the stick knowing the fun is starting, and then pulling it up and hearing the ratcheting that tells you it's over.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Two things I know I don't like (function, not design)
boxsterg - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 6:03:36 pm
There is nothing to worry about on the start stop feature. Simply press the "A" button to engage or disengae the feature and your are back to normal driving mode. it is only an option for those that may want to utlize it.
concerning the Auto Start Stop it states, ".... retains last selected setting after vehicle restart." I take that to mean one doesn't have to shut it off each time the car is key started.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 12:26PM by Laz. (view changes)
Tried to get a clue about tire fitment from the 3D animation.
Laz - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 1:39:15 pm
At full screen, I can make out "Michelin" and "Pilot Sport," but not "Super Sport." As the tread doesn't match anything I see at Tire Rack, it's just a rendering of a generic Michelin.

Overall, it'd be nice if one could pause the animation or at least run it slower. Also, it could use a higher resolution as there's a lot of rastering at seam lines, etc. Those flashes to white could be used as a test for epilepsy. Very annoying. Using the "still" 3D image, it's informative to move it around and animate the top.

The nighttime view is very fanciful; a nice touch.
wow, got an S configured at over $110k without even trying!
frogster - Saturday, 14 January, 2012, at 5:20:58 pm
lots of goodies to choose from.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I tried and could only get to $111K and change!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Compared to the simple clean 986s....
dennisafrompa - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 9:06:42 am
..this new version seem to me to be a body-kitted overkill. Scoops, spoilers and crease lines are much too busy for my tastes.

I did love this car !

Compared to the simple clean 986s....
dennisafrompa - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 9:08:10 am
..this new version seem to me to be a body-kitted overkill. Scoops, spoilers and crease lines are much too busy for my tastes.

I am indeed, but still!
frogster - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 1:04:46 pm
Well, I did choose the ceramic brakes, Bose, PASM, adaptive sport seats, et al. But I wasn't trying! Maybe just dreaming.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I'm going to have to see it in person. From looking at the pics, I love it, I hate it, then I love it again. The thing that I most dislike about the exterior are the headlights! I don't care for the shape and they appear to not be flush with the body panel...there's sort of a bump above the lines of the metal. It's certainly different from my '98, which I still love. I look forward to seeing the 2013 in person. I'm sure it'll be fantastic from a performance and handling perspective. But can't we have a 17" wheel option?? 20's!!!! Really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 10:18AM by SMILIN. (view changes)
Or at least 18s.
Laz - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 1:20:46 pm
The designers didn't consider the BQE, or just about anywhere on Staten Island or Boston. Even though PASM might be compensatory, I've always wondered if it can be "surprised" by an isolated pothole. And remember, don't use the brakes when you hit one, but let the rotating wheel deflect some of the impact on it, the tire, the suspension, etc.
Giant Step Backward
paulwdenton - Sunday, 15 January, 2012, at 11:18:42 pm
Mainly, where are the gas and temp gauges? Now they have some kind of electronic readout that also handles navigation (?). But they kept the useless analog speedometer. In several years of driving, I can't say I looked at that thing while actually driving, not even once. But I DO look at the gas gauge and temp gauge. I guess you are supposed to dig through several levels of screens to get to them. Some sports car where you can't find out about your engine without scrolling through several screens.

I don't like much else, either. Basically they took a beautiful curvaceous shape and put harsh straight lines all over it. Headlights are ugly and don't look like a Porsche. The side view is just plain bad. I hate the huge side scoop and cutout. It looks like it doesn't belong. I guess I'm just different but I actually like the spoiler and taillights treatment. At least that part still looks like a Porsche, unlike the rest of the car that looks like they are trying to imitate Ferrari and failing utterly. The lines of interior door panels don't flow. The basic/multifunction steering wheel is ugly. The sport wheel is cool but doesn't come with the multifunction stuff. The center console is okay but looks awfully "busy." Even most of the colors are pretty darned ugly. That "lime gold" looks like something I puked.

I am probably different from most of you. I don't really care that much how fast the car is, because I will never use half its capability. I bought my Cayman primarily because I found the styling to be enchanting. The performance was a secondary consideration. I suspect Porsche has lost buyers like me. If I was shopping today, I don't even think I'd bother to stop in to see it. The SLK and Z4 are both better-looking than the "new" Boxster, they're both cheaper with equivalent equipment, and both have a metal hardtop, which I consider a big advantage in the real world. And last time I sat in an SLK, it had a gas gauge and temp gauge where I could see them without scrolling through electronic screens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login