Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Comparing the 981 and 987 interior
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 7:58:01 pm
With the discussion of the 981 and 987 interiors. I thought this was the best way to get a visual comparison.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Hmmmm..... Not radically different, in the sense that it's still between the driver and passenger, but check out the shift knob height relative to the bottom of the steering wheel and top of the arm rest.

Maybe Porsche DID borrow a page from a classic....

1975 Alfa Spider
And no driver's armrest. Keep both hands on the wheel where they belong, fella!

OMG!! Haven't seen that cockpit in a while. I had a spyder for a while in the mid '70's, what a hoot. However, an ergonomic nightmare, ie.: pedals too close, wheel rather distant, but oh, what a ride. Love Alfas.
You guys had the new models
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 3 March, 2012, at 5:46:15 pm
'60 and '66 was my flirtation with Italian rust
I wonder just how long those throws are going to be.

It sure will be interesting to drive one.
Perhaps the linkage designers made, and got the budget for, a more precise mechanism to compensate for the new position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 02:12PM by Laz. (view changes)
Thanks Guenter looks
DougW - Wednesday, 29 February, 2012, at 9:22:05 pm
More refined, will have to see it in person or maybe I already have in the Panamera..miss the E-Brake
winking smiley *NM*
Roger987 - Thursday, 1 March, 2012, at 10:21:34 am
If you value your money, I wouldn't be placing any bets on the "Near Future" line.

In general, I like the new look, . the new roof, the line and how it works, the new spoiler, the side vents have grown on me.

I wonder what the coolant temp and fuel gauge will look like, since that seems to be a display rather than gauge. I check those regularly while driving.

There are some things I just don't like.

Still disappointed about Honda Civic mirrors on a Boxster.

Those finny tailights.

That new shifter.....located WAY up there .....hard to tell until you actually sit in one and drive it, though. With no short shift option available ...mabye they've made it standard? ...who knows.

The only wheels I really like are ....gasp 20" eye popping smiley On our roads, I shudder to think what that would do to the fillings in my teeth.

I just know that the first time I sat in a 987, it felt like the Porsche engineers had designed the car specifically for me, with the controls RIGHT THERE, where I wanted them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 11:09AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Sounds like you are composing an argument to talk yourself out of buying a new one... or at least make it look like you are w/ Mrs. Curven8r winking smiley

smileys with beer
The frontal view of the mirror shape itself looks fairly slippery, too, something like a more rectilinear Talbot, that classic mirror being conical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 02:02PM by Laz. (view changes)
G-man, you're Busted!
Roger987 - Thursday, 1 March, 2012, at 3:28:47 pm
I checked the revision you made to your post.

The pre-edit version read "I shudder to think what that will do to the fillings in my teeth. (underlining added).

Pretty much a done deal. Just a matter of selecting the colour and writing the cheque. grinning smiley

Since arctic silver isn't available, maybe try something entirely new? I'm diggin' that optional new lime-green metallic that Porsche keeps showing in its ads.
Roger987
Pretty much a done deal. Just a matter of selecting the colour and writing the cheque. grinning smiley

...to put into 1000 words. grinning smiley

Either that, or you like to waste lots of time pretend shopping winking smiley
Gary, FYI
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 1 March, 2012, at 8:05:36 pm
Gary in SoFL
Either that, or you like to waste lots of time pretend shopping winking smiley

Pretend shopping is much more affordable than the real thing. grinning smiley
Re: Comparing the 981 and 987 interior
kmmalek - Thursday, 1 March, 2012, at 6:51:19 pm
I like that the shifter is closer to the wheel in height; however, it looks like it may be set further back than the old one. I wouldn't like that one bit. That's the case in the E90 BMW, and it felt very unnatural. I assume the Boxster's won't be anywhere near as bad; but generally, I think companies are now designing for autos and PDK, not for manual.
Re: Comparing the 981 and 987 interior
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 1 March, 2012, at 7:30:22 pm
kmmalek
I like that the shifter is closer to the wheel in height; however, it looks like it may be set further back than the old one. I wouldn't like that one bit. That's the case in the E90 BMW, and it felt very unnatural. I assume the Boxster's won't be anywhere near as bad; but generally, I think companies are now designing for autos and PDK, not for manual.

That's my concern for those of us who prefer to shift. For the PDK, it really doesn't matter where the shifter is because you only have to access it to put it into drive or reverse once. It seems that the center stack is designed more to look like the Panamara, rather than for driving ergonomics.

But, I think you won't really be able to tell until you sit in it and drive it.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
There's quite a bit of ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 8:07:32 am
... adjustment available for shifter position.
Obviously you can't change the pivot point, but you can move the shifter in any direction about 1.5 inches.
This allows you to tailor it to your liking.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Just to clarify
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 9:40:37 am
Do you mean you can change the location of the shift mechanism (thinking of the short shift kit for instance) in any direction? Does that include up or down?

Not that I want to change mine, but just thinking out loud for possible future applications.

It may just be that the pictures are from slightly different angles. But it looks as if the top of 981 shifter is some 4 - 5 inches higher than the one in the 987. That would make it some 6 - 7 inches higher than the one in your car.

Pedro (Weston, FL)
Obviously you can't change the pivot point, but you can move the shifter in any direction about 1.5 inches.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro
Re: Just to clarify
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 12:45:22 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Do you mean you can change the location of the shift mechanism (thinking of the short shift kit for instance) in any direction? Does that include up or down?

Not that I want to change mine, but just thinking out loud for possible future applications.

It may just be that the pictures are from slightly different angles. But it looks as if the top of 981 shifter is some 4 - 5 inches higher than the one in the 987. That would make it some 6 - 7 inches higher than the one in your car.

Pedro (Weston, FL)
Happy Boxstering
Pedro
The only questions remaining are colour, whether it's a S or non-S, and options.

Shall we have a contest to see who can come closest to guessing its specs, with the winner getting to choose between dinner with the G-Man (on this tab) or an opportunity to redline the G-man's 981 (in the first 4 of 6 manually-selected gears) at a future BRBS?
Let's face it. You guys will never
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 2 March, 2012, at 1:50:20 pm
guess the colour of my next car.

Transmission? Maybe you might guess this one if you've very, very carefully read between the lines in my past posts and are good at picking up subtle hints.

Options? Hey that one's just way too easy.
"Near" in the sense it will be here much sooner than you profess grinning smiley

smileys with beer
Just one word...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 3 March, 2012, at 9:39:35 am
...ORANGE

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login