Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I have a 2000 2.7 Boxster. Thinking I was following the online Boxster pdf manual I just put washer fluid in the blue capped back trunk resevoir labeled 'water'.

Now, having pushed the windshield wiper buttons and hearing the (still empty) motor from the front, I'm thinking that I made a (huge) mistake. The picture in the manual now seems to look more like the front trunk and front blue capped resevoir.

So, is the washer fluid blue capped resevoir in the FRONT the washer fluid?

If so,
a) what did I mis-fill; and
b) what do I need to do to fix it; and
c) what should I expect that to cost?

Thanks - small panic on my part.

Andrew

edited to note that the blue in back in likely coolant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 05:57PM by AndyInNYC. (view changes)
much will depend on action necessary.

Brake reservoir is under front trunk as is washer fluid. Rear trunk is oil and coolant. Aside from missing the correct target, take solace as you picked the least problematic of 3 other options.

How much went in? (shouldn't have been a whole lot or you might have a problem w/ cooling system).
I seriously doubt you got more than qt added.
Edits optional for such an obvious view grinning smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 3:02:45 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 03:03PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
You put windshield washer fluid in the engine coolant tank. How much did you put in there and have you run the motor? If you put in just a bit, (I can't believe you were more than a quart low on coolant because otherwise the engine temp light would flash) and you haven't run the motor, I would suction all the coolant out of the reservoir and fill it with the distilled water.

If you want to put coolant in, you have to know what type of coolant is in there because if you mix different coolants, there is a chance that the coolant will gel and do major damage to the motor.

The safest route is to drain, flush and refill the coolant. DIY cost is around $100, but read up on how to bleed the air out of the system. Its not hard but critical to avoid possible overheating.
Well, my coolant levels were normal, and I filled up the resevoir to where I can see the fluid while looking in - of course the wiper resevoir is still empty.

I hate taking my car to the local dealer - is this something that the guys at NTB can fix for me? I'll call them on Monday, but I'm unsure of the technical difficulty of doing the dump and fill since it is a Boxster - the guys at Pep Boys couldn't even change my H7 bulb; I had to pull up some YouTube videos and do it myself (which turned out to be a no-brainer). I'm concerned that they will say 'yes' and then use the incorrect coolant or something.

Am I 'safe' driving the car the 15 minutes to either NTB or the dealer? I (obviously) have zero technical ability, so fixing this as a DIY is out of the question.

Is there an approved coolant which NTB would normally have access to?

Thanks for everyone's help; I'm just beating myself that something so simple has bitten me in the ass.

Andrew
If you have not run the engine...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 9:08:37 am
... since the mixup, you can just syphon out the coolant reservoir and put back 50/50 coolant mix.
You can use any coolant that says Phosphate and Silicate free on it's label.
You can buy the 50/50 mix dilution at any auto parts store or buy a gallon of concentrate and a gallon of distilled water and mix.

If you did run the engine then you need to flush the system ASAP.
I don't think Pep Boys or NTB or similar would know how to bleed the air out of the system.
The best way is to generate a vacuum and then refill with coolant mix.
Here are several instructions, which you can do at home yourself:
If you have access to the vacuum system use these: [pedrosgarage.com]
If you don't use these: (scroll down to about half way) [pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: If you have not run the engine...
AndyInNYC - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 10:16:50 am
I found an Indy mechanic that my body shop suggested - about 30 minutes from here. They can do the job for roughly coolant cost + $125. They appeared to know what they were talking about over the phone (plus the body shop suggestion), so now I just need to find time to get the car over there. Fortunately I have another car to drive in the interim; unfortunately it isn't also a Boxster.

I do hate being a car idiot.

At least the H7 light I replaced hasn't caused my headlight assembly to come flying out of the car (guess I was successful in re-locking it in place).

Andrew
Don't despair
Roger987 - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 10:37:53 am
Yes, you'll make a few mistakes along the way - we all do. But in the end, you'll achieve a great deal of satisfaction working on your car, you'll be able to stay on top of maintenance and you'll save a fair bit of money.

I always try to remember the carpenter's adage - 'measure twice, cut once'.
Make sure they know...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 10:39:18 am
... how to bleed ALL the air from the system, otherwise you will end up with a cracked re$ervoir.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: Make sure they know...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 11:04:31 am
1. step 3. Lift bow on bleeder valve.
Is that the rectangular-shaped wire in the upper right of the photo?
YES

2. step 6. Check whether the coolant shutoff valve is open.
Where (what) is the coolant shutoff valve? (I assume that's something different from the coolant drain plug.)
That valve is only on the Tiptronic-equipped cars.

One last question - Bentley doesn't yet make a 987 service manual. Would the 986 service manual be useful to me for the 2005 987, or might it cause confusion (or worse)?
Many projects are similar and the Bentley Manual would be a good reference book to have, but other projects, such as removing the door panel is completely different and could make you break something if you try to apply the same removal techniques.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Thanks Pedro
Roger987 - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 11:18:21 am
Re: Bentley - good point about doors etc. Probably a fair bit of the body hardware might be different.

I'm guessing that the overall set-up of the engine and various components, as well as torque values might be quite similar (e.g thermostat coolant/oil heat exchanger).

My experience has been that, armed with a detailed service manual, a general sense of mechanical workings, combined with reliable tips from the 'net (such as yours) and proper tools, many jobs are quite manageable and, indeed, enjoyable.
Coolant change instructions - questions
Roger987 - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 10:48:02 am
Pedro, thanks for posting the link to your instructions - very thorough.

I'm going to be doing a coolant change as part of a thermostat and oil/coolant heat exchanger replacement this summer (got the parts two years ago, and will finally have time to install them this year), and I have a couple questions regarding your instructions, arising from my lack of familiarity with the components:

1. step 3. Lift bow on bleeder valve.

Is that the rectangular-shaped wire in the upper right of the photo?

2. step 6. Check whether the coolant shutoff valve is open.

Where (what) is the coolant shutoff valve? (I assume that's something different from the coolant drain plug.)

One last question - Bentley doesn't yet make a 987 service manual. Would the 986 service manual be useful to me for the 2005 987, or might it cause confusion (or worse)?

Thanks.
If you were on LI I would help you. Let me know where you are.

Djmanjay@yahoo.com

Jay
Thanks for the offer
AndyInNYC - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 9:43:44 am
the 'InNYC' is a holdover from my previous, pre-child, life. We live in the Princeton, NJ area now. Before marriage and kids I was on the Upper East Side in Manhattan and then in Brooklyn Heights.

Very little about NYC living that I miss other than the great restaurants. In Brooklyn Heights I was paying $460/month just for the Boxster to be garaged - and they still managed to dent it, kill a battary and do other misc. damage. Having lived in NYC, however, I still always put the top up when I park - even to run into the store for milk. Some habits (10 years later) die hard.

Again, thanks for the offer. Looks like $80 in parts + $125 labor through an Indy Porsche mechanic nearby (Provost Motorsports in Bordentown. Just need to find time to get over there and let the Boxster sit in the garage until then.

Andrew
Update
AndyInNYC - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 11:27:10 pm
I took the car to Provost Motorsport in NJ. They drained the fluid and replaced the coolant - gee, I get the pink stuff this time. I had them change the oil since the car was there. So, for $450 or so I got some peace of mind and my car got to exchange some bodily fluids.

The Chinese restaurant across the street wasn't too bad for lunch, either.

Thanks for everyone's input and assistance.

Andrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login