Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Saw my car at the dealership today.
Laz - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 10:36:37 pm
I was a bit alarmed at first, because even though the configuration was reconfirmed just a few days ago, the first 981 I saw was Agate with a black top and 20" Agate wheels. Well... when I did see mine, I was awestruck. Let me tell you, people: the Agate/blue/blue combination is powerful stuff. And as far as the aesthetics; whatever anybody thinks Porsche did right, wrong, this, that and the other thing, the car is a stunningly beautiful expression of automotive design. The more linear aspects of the sheet metal; the sweep of the fender creases cutting around the intakes; the assertive purposefulness of the headlights; the new spoiler... the difference between this car and the 986/7 is on the order of the 911 to the 356.

Guenter is somewhat correct about there being some warmth (I wouldn't call it "chocolatey" ) to Agate's hue, but it's so close to neutral, the hue shifts from ever so slightly warm to cool, depending on the sky lighting. While there was an overcast, it looked warm, but with blue sky it went just about dead neutral. I'd say the hue is akin to halfway between Seal Grey and Meteor.

I took some cheesy, unworthy-of-the-car shots with my cell phone, and also with my 35mm Canon F1. I won't see the film shots for some time, but in my excitement know I took much less than "ideal" shots and likely won't post any of them. When I get the car and a modicum of control over my state of ecstasy, I'll attempt better results. In the mean time I'd better start cleaning the garage.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2012 10:39PM by Laz. (view changes)
!!! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 10:58:54 pm
So why didn't they let you drive it off?
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:05:26 am
Probably waiting for the check to clear, or for the light to be just right to show off your color grinning smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: So why didn't they let you drive it off?
Laz - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:15:22 am
The tranquilizer dart they shot me with started to take effect.

grinning smiley Hope you're studying the PDK manual *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:38:43 am
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I already know everything I need to about it. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:57:06 am
Congratulations. Sounds like you're going to be at least "somewhat" happy with your choice of colours. winking smiley

Somewhat disappointed about your garage. I'd have thought that by now, there'd be at least 4 - 5 coats of wax on the floor so you don't scuff up the tires when you drive your new 981 into it when you pick it up. grinning smiley

Hope you'll take some daylight shots using a tripod to we can really see what your new car looks like. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 08:37AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Actually, I'm "quite" happy with the color. As I said, I was awestruck by the color combination and the car overall.
Concerning my garage: it's quite rustic, to say the least. None of that high tech tiling or vintage Targa Florio posters on the walls. First order of business would be repaving the beat up 160 foot driveway, but that's not in this year's budget... wonder why?
Shaking or not, using a 35mm (mild wide angle) with a high enough shutter speed will be my configuration of choice. I miss Kodachrome...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 09:32AM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
Actually, I'm "quite" happy with the color. As I said, I was awestruck by the color combination and the car overall.
Concerning my garage: it's quite rustic, to say the least. None of that high tech tiling or vintage Targa Florio posters on the walls. First order of business would be repaving the beat up 160 foot driveway, but that's not in this year's budget... wonder why?
Shaking or not, using a 35mm (mild wide angle) with a high enough shutter speed will be my configuration of choice. I miss Kodachrome...
Laz, I know what you mean, I have several rolls of Ektar 100 in my wine cooler that I keep just for my serious car shoots. cool smiley
Kodak used to have a back-lit sign on Times Square that featured an actual photo print blow-up from Kodachrome 25. The thing was at least 30 feet wide, and the colors were saturated and the level of detail was amazing. High resolution digital? Phooey.

Laz
Kodak used to have a back-lit sign on Times Square that featured an actual photo print blow-up from Kodachrome 25. The thing was at least 30 feet wide, and the colors were saturated and the level of detail was amazing. High resolution digital? Phooey.
IMHO to a great degree back then photographs were based more on the eye of the photographer, the quality of the equipment and far less to post shot manipulation (excepting the occasional 'artsy' Sabatier or other dark room effect applied).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login