Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
TireRack finally has a winter tire and wheel set for the 2013. So as not to have expensive car stuff possibly waiting outside my house if I'm not home, the set is being drop-shipped to my local shop, and they'll likely be supporting the car from the chassis. I imagine the front hasn't changed much, but Porsche's literature is a bit vague, stating the rear is MacPherson, but also "multi-link" like the 911.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 03:29PM by Laz. (view changes)
Aarrrrghh
Roger987 - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 4:01:46 pm
Your new 981 exposed to road salt?

Say it ain't so, Laz. sad smiley
Ok. For a moment there I thought Guenter and I might have to
Roger987 - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 5:06:15 pm
take a run down to visit you and have the court declare your 981 a "child in need of protection".
Yup. Had me going there for a bit. eye popping smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 17 November, 2012, at 11:11:59 pm
Good to hear Laz's Boxster will be in a salt-free environment. smiling smiley
Yes, to be preserved for posterity:
Laz - Sunday, 18 November, 2012, at 10:14:56 am
When my niece was in single digits, she endearingly asked if she could have my old Boxster when I got senile!

Re: Yes, to be preserved for posterity:
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 1:41:24 pm
Laz
When my niece was in single digits, she endearingly asked if she could have my old Boxster when I got senile!

Is she enjoying your 'old' 986? tongue sticking out smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
No, she'll have to wait for me or my friend. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 2:54:17 pm
The four jacking points are the same.
Make sure the tire shop uses just those points to lift the car.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
with hydraulic jacks, and I think the front gets supported at or near, each side's front suspension chassis attachment points. My local shop has two different lifts; the one with the additional center jack arm being the one used for tire changes on my old Boxster. So, I'd think the 981 has a similar (and recognizable) center rear reinforced point.
* Years ago this center support method was discussed online, sometimes with images, but lately I haven't been able to find much clear information (including the alternate front points.) This search included Renntech, the defunct PPBB, etc.

Regardless of pics, here's what i would do.
grant - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 8:43:57 am
In the rear, these cars have a cast aluminum frame-thing that bolts to the unibody and provides suspension attachment points. It runs straight down to some diagonal braces. I presume something similar exists on the 981.

Think about this. The wheels attach here. You hit a track-curb at 100 mph and its just fine, with the full weight of the car plus the force of the impact. It can lift the car with ease. Simply put any lift arm at the point where a brace ,meets the upright of the frame. Or at the point where the frame meets the unibody (same deal - all the stress of the car must be carried here).

In the front there is a steel plate with bolts where the lower control arms attached. Same deal.

Safe lifting is merely a matter of looking for where the weight is borne in the design. Its not that hard to find if you start at a wheel and follow it to the chassis. if it doesn't attach somewhere, bend down and pick up the loose wheel :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
A man of my own logic! Thanks, Grant.
Laz - Monday, 19 November, 2012, at 8:53:31 am
And remember: "Loose wheels sink deals."
Yeah, but ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 8:08:50 am
... I would never let a tire shop make those decisions.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I have a pretty high confidence level with these people.
Laz - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 12:28:12 pm
It's a complete car service shop that's father and son, and was started by the grandfather several decades ago. In the Navy, the father repaired an incapacitated destroyer's driveshaft at a civilian boatyard. The son built a solar powered vehicle when he was in high school. They lifted the 986 many times for oil changes, O2 sensors, and tires. On the other hand, if you ask them, they'll tell you I'm a noodge bigtime, with just enough knowledge and neurotic intelligence to drive them up a wall, yet they invite me to family weddings, birthdays, etc. I would rather've done the job myself as I bought a Porsche jack and a soft-sleeved socket when I got the car, but previously mentioned "logistics" had me decide on the lesser of the two "worries." Did I mention "neurotic?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2012 12:29PM by Laz. (view changes)
How it was lifted
Laz - Monday, 26 November, 2012, at 1:26:14 pm
The winter set was put on earlier today, and the standard jack points were used. The front suspension mounting points are somewhat obscured by panels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login