Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
... and you're thinking about a new Boxster, you'd better buy now!
Looks like next year the Boxster's music will be the symphony in flat 4!
It's going to have a bunch of HP, though.

[flat6news.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... and you're thinking about a new Boxster, you'd better buy now!
Looks like next year the Boxster's music will be the symphony in flat 4!
It's going to have a bunch of HP, though.

[flat6news.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

That would not be Happy Boxstering. ......sigh. sad smiley

There was talk that this might be introduced as a performance (Cayman R?) version at the top of the line and eventually filter down to the rest of the line. 350 HP won't happen unless they up the HP on the 991 at the same time.
Going to make the 2013 and 2014 Boxsters more valuable!
jg wnc - Tuesday, 9 April, 2013, at 4:44:13 pm
Sorry, but a turbo 4 just doesn't really excite me. If they want to put that in the baby Boxster - fine, but not in a car that has established a pretty good pedigree for itself over the years. Also, I doubt very much that they would allow it to reach 350hp. It is the same as the 991 and even if they up the 991 - it will be too close.
I'd welcome that engine in a Boxster
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Tuesday, 9 April, 2013, at 11:11:08 pm
Although I'd probably not opt to upgrade my beautiful '09S any time in the immediate future, I definitely get excited at the thought of that engine in a Box. My '01 MR2 Turbo was nothing short of a blast to drive. And that only had 200HP. With 300+... this would be an absolute screamer.

With a turbo engine, the body's natural accelerometers all come into play. Everything isn't so frickin' linear as with these super-precise NA plants. It would be like the combination of what was best in an MR2 and what's best in a Boxster.

Even if I don't buy one, can someone who does let me drive theirs? smileys with beer
It was inevitable...
Ed fromTampa ( formerly Long Island) - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 8:26:31 am
Given the Feds average mpg standards for the manufacturer's entire product line the "exotic" niche players are scampering to meet them.. They don't have the econobox cars with high mpg to offset their performance cars.

At least the turbo 4 has enough power & torque to keep most people happy.

Ed

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: It was inevitable...
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 11:54:44 am
Ed from Long Island
Given the Feds average mpg standards for the manufacturer's entire product line the "exotic" niche players are scampering to meet them.. They don't have the econobox cars with high mpg to offset their performance cars.

Ed

I don't pretend to know how the CAFE standards work, but since Porsche is a subsidiary of VW, wouldn't its numbers be averaged in with the rest of the company? If each subsidiary has to separately make the projected averages, Porsche will have trouble and Lamborghini might as well just close up.
CAFE Standards apply to...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 2:22:50 pm
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
Ed from Long Island

Ed

I don't pretend to know how the CAFE standards work, but since Porsche is a subsidiary of VW, wouldn't its numbers be averaged in with the rest of the company? If each subsidiary has to separately make the projected averages, Porsche will have trouble and Lamborghini might as well just close up.

... individual manufacturers so Porsche is separate from VW etc.
The average of the fleet is what CAFE looks at so that's the reason Porsche introduced the 918, the Cayenne and Panamera Hybrids, etc.
In order to increase MPGs they are also considering doing away with side rear new mirrors and using lipstick cameras with monitors.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2013 02:25PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Here's an article ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 2:27:42 pm
... I wrote on CAFE Regulations:
[pedrosgarage.com]
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: CAFE Standards apply to...
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 7:26:57 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)

... individual manufacturers so Porsche is separate from VW etc.
Pedro

That's interesting - but it seems fairly simple for a not so clever lawyer to get around it by merging the various corporations so that all Lamborghinis are technically Volkswagens. OTOH, after reading your article, the penalty is not really that big. $5.50 per 0.1 mpg is the same as $55 per 1.0 mpg or $550 per 10 mpg. If a Lamborghini (or Porsche 960) were 20 miles per gallon less than the standard, the penalty would be $1100. Not a lot on a car that costs over a quarter of a million dollars.
That penalty gets ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 11 April, 2013, at 8:10:18 am
... Multiplied by the number of cars manufactured.
It may not mean a lot on a Lamborghini but it certainly means a lot on a Jetta.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: If you like to listen to the symphony in flat 6 ...
m4240z - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 8:26:36 am
I have an Audi A4, which has a turbo 4, and it's the second car I've had with a turbo 4. They're smooth, powerful, and totally devoid of character.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Nothing good about 4 cyl turbos here ... [www.youtube.com] winking smiley
the number of cylinders
Steve (Morro Bay) - Wednesday, 10 April, 2013, at 11:59:17 am
I've always found it weird how people get turned on or off by the number of cylinders in a car's engine. I bet that the majority of boxster owners would be hard pressed to actually prove that their car has six cylinders. If the car accelerates like mad and makes a great noise, why worry about the number of parts used? I admit that I'm happy to have the same number of cylinders as most of the higher priced cars in the lineup, but I think of it as an irrational sort of happiness.
paulwdenton - Thursday, 11 April, 2013, at 1:45:25 am
I think this is awesome news. I could skip the turbo, too. A smaller, lighter, cheaper car with great handling, like a 914 or Miata but better (and with headroom). I don't race. And I don't care to impress, so couldn't care less about the HP ratings or number of cylinders. I suspect there are lots of others who feel the same way, but they probably don't read boards like this. Porsche calls them "customers."
silverbox03 - Saturday, 13 April, 2013, at 10:52:34 am
paulwdenton, you are correct, sir. This could be all good. As a matter of fact, all the better without the turbo. I've owned a number of higher output 4cyl. cars over the years and kicked plenty of 8 cyl. butts.
paulwdenton - Saturday, 13 April, 2013, at 9:45:34 pm
I could soooooo go for the baby Boxster, but I guess the've killed that project.
My current 2012 Boxster is my fourth Boxster. Before that I had a 924, a 944 and a 944S2. All big bore 4 cylinder engines. Below is a photo of my S2. These were great cars; very flexible with a back seat for kids and lots of cargo space. I hauled sheet rock in my 924 after I moved to Pennsylvania from California in 1982 and bought a 300 year old house house that needed a lot of work. I would still be driving a 944 if they had not stopped making them. I am done with sheet rock and my baby daughter that rode home from the hospital, after her birth, in the 924 back seat is now a doctor in Chicago so the two seat Boxster works for me, no sheet rock and no kids to accommodate.

The three hundred year old house that became a Bed & Breakfast, The Great Valley House of Valley Forge, now has a new updated web site running on eight cylinders. My wife, who created the new pages and is our social media expert, would appreciate it if you like us on Facebook

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login