Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
CURVEN8R2
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 11:39:34 am
First, here's some background for those who don't know a lot about me. If you're just interested in the options, scroll down to CURVEN8R2.

Back in 1969, I owned, what was always my favourite car until I bought my Boxster. It was a 1968 Karmann Ghia cabriolet. I always loved roadsters. Wish I could have kept it, but finances didn't allow for that when I needed a larger car for a growing family.

One day I had the Karmann Ghia into the local VW/Porsche dealer for an oil change. While waiting, I walked into the showroom. There, sitting on the floor, was a brand new beautiful silver 911 Targa with a whopping (for 1969) $23,500 price tag. I believe it was closing time that the staff finally had to drag me out of that car. smiling smiley From that day on, it was my dream to own a silver Targa. Actually, I would have been happy with any silver 911.

Whenever I was lucky enough to be sitting at a light with a Porsche beside me, I'd always roll down my window and hope the driver was in a hurry when the light turned green. smiling bouncing smiley Over the years, for one reason or another, I was never able to make the dream come true. I did consider a silver 968 at one point. Pretty nice looking. But it wasn't a 911.

Then everything changed. 1993, the Detroit Auto show. There it was, a drop dead, gorgeous silver roadster. The Boxster Concept. It was silver just like any car that Porsche showcases. My jaw dropped. OMG! Porsche actually designed a car more beautiful than a 911. The engine was in the middle, where Ferdinand Porsche had placed it in his very first car, the silver 356-001, to achieve the ultimate in balance. In an instant, my dream changed. I lusted after one of these fabulous looking roadsters. I really, really wanted a silver Boxster. Soon I had one - a model of the concept sitting on my desk, where it still sits today.

It still took a few years, but in 2006, I was finally able to make the dream come true. I was actually able to do more than just look. It was time to buy a Boxster. I've loved driving all my life. This was going to be special. The only two options it HAD TO HAVE, were, silver paint and a manual transmission. There were a few Boxsters either in stock or on route to the dealer that fit the description, all with a longer list of options. I finally settled on one that would arrive at the dealers in a couple of weeks.

When it arrived at the beginning of March, I made the 60 mile drive to the dealer to have my first look. OH MY, what a gorgeous looking car! I arranged to have the dealer store it until the beginning of April. No way did I want to drive my Boxster while there was salt and slush on the roads. Every weekend in March, I drove to the dealer to bond with my car. I'm positive that March 2006 had over 100 days. I started to wonder if, in my mind, I'd blown the qualities of this car out of proportion. April 1st came (I couldn't sleep the whole night before). It was time. I had arranged with the dealer that they pick up my wife and me so we could savour the first drive in the Boxster together. My shaking hands had trouble signing the papers. FINALLY all the paperwork was done and the salesman was done going over the controls and features with me. My dream was coming true.

It was a chilly 35 degree day with a stiff breeze right from the North Pole. I looked at my wife and asked if she'd mind if we put the top down for at least the first part of the drive. Her reply: "Well it IS a convertible!" That was an incredible drive home.

Since the first twist of the key with my left hand, my love of the Boxster has done nothing but continue to grow. Every time I get in, I marvel at how everything is just where it's supposed to be for the maximum driving experience. The seats, comfortable, but firm enough to easily drive stretches of 500 or more miles per day. The shifter - right there were it belongs. The seating and pedal position are as if the designers at Porsche asked me where I wanted them and that's where they put them. Getting into the Boxster is like slipping on my favourite pair of sneakers and I'm ready to walk, dance, run, drive or whatever else I feel like doing. And, it can all be done to the intoxicating Symphony in Flat Six. It has always exceeded my expectations. I wanted to keep this car forever.

Alas. Things change. It seems that, what to me is an integral part of my driving enjoyment, is disappearing at a frightening rate. Automatics, including PDK, are taking over. PDK, which admittedly is a fabulous piece of engineering, is being chosen for various reasons: need an extra couple of tenths at the track, too much shifting in stop and go traffic, don't have the co-ordination to shift and people even say that they're just too lazy to shift. All valid reasons to purchase PDK. Fewer and fewer people want the driving involvement that a manual provides. Without a manual, I know I can't achieve what I call the Zen of driving. You become one with the car and dance through the curves to the sound of that beautiful flat six.

So, what happens if I do want to get a new car sometime in the future and a manual is no longer an option?

After some long soul searching, I decided to custom order a new car to hopefully see me a long way down the road. After close to a year of wearing out the Porsche configurator, testing cars with various options and quizzing people, I've finally come up with the ultimate (for me) Porsche.

I just want to thank a few people who've given me input and patiently answered my questions to help in my decision making. Thanks, Roger in PEI, Laz, lawdevil, MikenOH and of course Pedro.

I made a deal to trade, but keep the CURVEN8R until CURVEN8R2 arrives. I also have the option of selling CURVEN8R myself before or when the new car comes in. The new car is a June production, so CURVEN8R will go on sale sometime in July. My one hope is that I can find someone who will appreciate just how great a roadster it is so they can get as much enjoyment out of it as I have while giving it the TLC that it deserves.

CURVEN8R2 - The details

2014 Boxster S
Manual transmission
GT Silver
Roll-bars GT Silver
Black top
20" Carrera S wheels
Black interior
Convenience Package (heated seats, windstop, auto climate control)
Seat ventilation - tested these on a hot sticky day, what a great feature
Sports seats Plus
SportDesign steering wheel
Smoking package (for the extra electrical outlet and plug for battery maintainer)
Porsche Torque Vectoring
Sports Chassis, 20 mm lower (sports suspension in the US configurator)
Sports Exhaust (just had to get the top end stereo system for the Symphony in Flat Six)
Pedro's TechNoWind2

From the Porsche configurator:

Interestingly, a friend sent me a couple of pictures he took at this year's Detroit Auto Show and said, "Here's a picture of your new Boxster, Guenter." It was the right colour and wheels.

Long range planning is something I prefer myself. Having said that, you might give a thought to the power seat package with adjustable lumbar support. As I posted earlier, I basically was forced to sell my Z3 because of problems with my lower back. The Z3 was fine for me when I bought it new in 2002. I had some back problems then, but was able to drive the Z3 for five or six hours at a stretch with no issues. Last year a one hour trip without a stop became very painful.

I am appreciating my Boxster now more every day. A test drive I took at the local dealer's in 2009 was the briefest of introductions and didn't begin to communicate the more subtle instinctive feel I have behind the wheel now.
Re: I like your long range planning
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 3:42:42 pm
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans)
Long range planning is something I prefer myself. Having said that, you might give a thought to the power seat package with adjustable lumbar support. As I posted earlier, I basically was forced to sell my Z3 because of problems with my lower back. The Z3 was fine for me when I bought it new in 2002. I had some back problems then, but was able to drive the Z3 for five or six hours at a stretch with no issues. Last year a one hour trip without a stop became very painful.

I am appreciating my Boxster now more every day. A test drive I took at the local dealer's in 2009 was the briefest of introductions and didn't begin to communicate the more subtle instinctive feel I have behind the wheel now.

Thanks Steve. We actually drove a cars with the Adaptive Sports Plus as well as the Sports Plus seats and found the Sports Plus seats more comfortable. I think though that it might have been mainly because we didn't spend enough time trying to make all the adjustments in the Adaptive seats. I'm sure that they'd be an excellent choice for anyone with any kind of back problem.

I guess I'm just lucky, because I have found even the standard seats comfortable on a long (950 miles in one day) drive. The Sports Plus seats definitely give more support when cornering.

I know what you mean about the handling of the Boxster. Once you get to know it, it's so easy to carve through the twisties with it.
Awesome Guenter!
jg wnc - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 2:37:45 pm
Sounds absolutely fabulous! I too am craving a 981, but I am too cheap to buy new. I'll wait a couple years and buy a used one that is equipped close to what I am looking for.

On another note...... Thought you might enjoy this from the Porsche museum:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 02:42PM by jg atl. (view changes)
Re: Awesome Guenter!
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 3:44:04 pm
jg atl
Sounds absolutely fabulous! I too am craving a 981, but I am too cheap to buy new. I'll wait a couple years and buy a used one that is equipped close to what I am looking for.

On another note...... Thought you might enjoy this from the Porsche museum:

Great picture. I have a picture taken in Detroit. It's a real beauty isn't it!
Quite nice, BUT.........
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 3:35:53 pm
To bad you couldn't go all out with a 991 cab winking smiley

Seriously, since you've given us your configuration, and what I believe is sound logic (even as some of your advisors are questionable) on most choices, I can't resist some unsolicited advise, contributing to what will probably be a little second guessing on your part. smileys with beer

1) 20" wheels are a waste of your $, especially with the very attractive 19" Boxster S wheels, and the way you travel, replacement Michelin tires will be better and cheaper.

2) As you've pointed out before rear visibility is an issue. Rear park assist may even have a camera for 2014. You'll need it.

3) Yes, we know you have an S, but delete the unattractive busy model script. Best of all - no cost.

4) PSAM at your age is a better choice than racer boy Sports Chassis, and will smooth out the roads for your wondereful wife. So what if it costs a little more.

5) PTV really, more racer boy???....just about as needed as the silly low speed boosted steering, which thankfully you didn't order.

6) Given your advancing years with resulting age related vision loss, and the way you sneak out late at nigh for a drive to nowhere, the Light Design Package would be advisable.

7) While GT Silver is beautiful, it's been around for a long time. The new Rhodium Silver is just as nice and will save you over two grand.

8) Glad you're getting the TechNoWind2, unlike one of your most questionable advisors, who at last report is still more awaiting user reviews eye rolling smiley

You're gonna love the S, and you'll now be able to keep up with the rest of the gang. Best of luck and good fortune with her, G-man smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Quite nice, BUT.........
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 4:27:35 pm
Gary in SoFL
To bad you couldn't go all out with a 991 cab winking smiley

Seriously, since you've given us your configuration, and what I believe is sound logic (even as some of your advisors are questionable) on most choices, I can't resist some unsolicited advise, contributing to what will probably be a little second guessing on your part. smileys with beer

1) 20" wheels are a waste of your $, especially with the very attractive 19" Boxster S wheels, and the way you travel, replacement Michelin tires will be better and cheaper.

2) As you've pointed out before rear visibility is an issue. Rear park assist may even have a camera for 2014. You'll need it.

3) Yes, we know you have an S, but delete the unattractive busy model script. Best of all - no cost.

4) PSAM at your age is a better choice than racer boy Sports Chassis, and will smooth out the roads for your wondereful wife. So what if it costs a little more.

5) PTV really, more racer boy???....just about as needed as the silly low speed boosted steering, which thankfully you didn't order.

6) Given your advancing years with resulting age related vision loss, and the way you sneak out late at nigh for a drive to nowhere, the Light Design Package would be advisable.

7) While GT Silver is beautiful, it's been around for a long time. The new Rhodium Silver is just as nice and will save you over two grand.

8) Glad you're getting the TechNoWind2, unlike one of your most questionable advisors, who at last report is still more awaiting user reviews eye rolling smiley

You're gonna love the S, and you'll now be able to keep up with the rest of the gang. Best of luck and good fortune with her, G-man smileys with beer

The 20" wheels might be a waste according to your taste. For my money, they're worth every penny. To my eye, spokes should get narrower toward the outside of the wheel. I'm glad that not everyone will choose them.

Have you had a chance to drive a Boxster with the Sports Chassis? I was fortunate enough to have a chance to drive the only one I know if in Canada and it even had the 20" wheels. I purposely took it over some rough roads and even Michelle was surprised at how compliant that suspension was. She said she had no problem taking that car on a road trip. (I suppose that some people might feel their age more than others. winking smiley ) Porsche has done an amazing job with the suspension of this car.

I'm debating about the the debadging. If anything goes, though, it will be the PORSCHE. I feel pretty darn good about driving the best (not most expensive) car Porsche builds (for my style of driving), which most will agree is the Boxster.

The S comes standard with Xenons. I wouldn't buy a car without them. The Audi had the dynamic swivelling lights, so does the BMW. I really don't find that much of a difference - even in the corners.

I haven't actually seen a Rhodium Silver. On the configurator, I just don't care for it. It might look fine "in the metal". I wish I could have got Arctic Silver again or even Polar Silver. I'm really looking forward to seeing Chuck's, now Kim Hammersmith's car at BRBS.

There isn't a single option on this car that I haven't tested. I'd never buy an option that I didn't have a chance to test first. So there's no second guessing at all. On the other hand, there seems to be one person on this board who seem a little shy or reluctant about posting any details about his new car. I suppose it could be he's still busy second guessing. winking smiley

Keeping up with the rest of the gang? Didn't realize I even had a problem with that driving the CURVEN8R.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2013 04:34PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 4:48:01 pm
Somewhere I have a photo of my Seal Gray, next to Chuck's car, and an AS....all three are beautiful.

New car, what new car? I'm planning on a 2015 Cayman S. thumbs up

The dealerships up there will be very happy you won't be hanging around and taking their demo cars on all those 100 mile test drives anymore...no matter what the sales people tell you.

If you are springing for the 20" wheels, you should get them in platinum, which really sets off GT or Rhodium Silver.

Michelle didn't say she had 'no problem', she said she had 'no choice'. Guess you haven't driven a PSAM Boxster, like I have. The best of both worlds.

The Light Design Package is inside the car, not outside. Didn't you follow the thread about it? Don't forget to add Rear parking assist.

Keeping up with the rest of the gang was only possible because they slowed down for you. Remember, I've driven behind you at Bristol.

BTW, what is the dealership allowing you on the trade-in?

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Ryan_K - Wednesday, 5 June, 2013, at 11:11:23 am
Very much looking forward to seeing your new machine next year. What did you decide about the Polar Silver once you saw Chuck's at BRBS? By the way, sorry it wasn't as clean as it could've been -we should have brought a bucket. We'll know for next year. grinning smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 5 June, 2013, at 12:48:38 pm
Ryan_K
Very much looking forward to seeing your new machine next year. What did you decide about the Polar Silver once you saw Chuck's at BRBS? By the way, sorry it wasn't as clean as it could've been -we should have brought a bucket. We'll know for next year. grinning smiley

Great meeting you and Kim too. The Polar Silver on Chuck's car looked great - specially considering what Mother Nature tried to do to it. I'm sure you'll have it all waxed and spiffed up for next year. cool smiley

Here's one picture with Chuck's car on the left and the CURVEN8R on the right.

Ryan_K - Thursday, 6 June, 2013, at 3:35:49 pm
You can bet I'll remember a bucket next year. Though, Kim and I may show up with a different car... Just put new rubber on Chuck's car (Hankook V12 Evo) yesterday, now if the rain would just hold off for a few hours in the evenings, maybe I could get out there and give her a wash.
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 6 June, 2013, at 5:32:26 pm
...the color in the middle is outstanding!

Re: ultra low profile tires
Petee_C - Friday, 24 May, 2013, at 3:04:56 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Gary in SoFL

The 20" wheels might be a waste according to your taste. For my money, they're worth every penny. To my eye, spokes should get narrower toward the outside of the wheel. I'm glad that not everyone will choose them.

Have you had a chance to drive a Boxster with the Sports Chassis? I was fortunate enough to have a chance to drive the only one I know if in Canada and it even had the 20" wheels. I purposely took it over some rough roads and even Michelle was surprised at how compliant that suspension was. She said she had no problem taking that car on a road trip. (I suppose that some people might feel their age more than others. winking smiley ) Porsche has done an amazing job with the suspension of this car.

Message snipped for brevity. (I hate when people quote the whole message).

I have the normal 986S with 18" rims and stock sized 35 series tires in the back. I agree with Gary on this one.... ultra low profile tires are more trouble than they are worth. Expensive. Not available in a lot of models. They do look cool though. Looks are it`s biggest draw. Don`t know if they perform better, or weigh less than a 45 series tire.

In my experience, it`s not the rough roads that ultra low profiles suffer vs low profile`s (I believe they both do poorly), it`s the minor things that become an annoyance. Just cracks in the pavements, expansion joints in bridge work. tar snakes, or where newer pavement meets older pavement. These are the road irregularities that should be absorbed by the tire`s sidewall and there isn`t enough flex left to do that anymore. I know the roads I drive on aren`t perfect, I don`t want to be reminded of this every 100`. When I ride in my wife`s SUV, with it`s 55series tires, it`s like heaven.

I almost forgot. Congrats on the new car. Someday, you`ll have to come out to Heidelberg and we should meet in person.

Peter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2013 03:15PM by Petee_C. (view changes)
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 24 May, 2013, at 4:02:07 pm
I just hope I don't have to drive an SUV when I go to Heaven.

I know what you're saying about the low profile tires. I wouldn't have bought them with the Sports Chassis if I hadn't had a chance to try it out first. I was expecting my fillings to come loose on some of roads I tried that combo. Still got them all, along with a big grin after the test drive.
Laz - Friday, 24 May, 2013, at 4:46:09 pm
That wouldn't be Heaven, then.
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 24 May, 2013, at 5:03:27 pm
Laz
That wouldn't be Heaven, then.

Yikes! sad smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sport suspension, 20" wheels etc.
Roger987 - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 10:15:48 am
From everything I've read, our experiences with ride quality of the 986 and 987 don't transfer to the 981, which apparently has a much differently calibrated suspension - more compliant, yet (at a minimum) handles the twisties every bit as well.

The Gman had the good fortune to be able to conduct seat-of-the-pants testing with of various configurations. I was pretty sure he's get PASM, but his test drive made all the difference. Knowing how hard he 'shopped', I'm confident he got exactly the right car for him, and that he won't be visiting his dentist with any greater frequency.

BTW, a few years ago, I sat in the sports seats plus (or whatever they're called) and I LOVED the way the hugged my torso. Wish I had a pair.
Re: Sport suspension, 20" wheels etc.
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 10:29:05 am
Another thing to consider re PASM vs Sports Suspension is where you do most of your driving. I've experience the roads in PEI. If I did most of my driving there, I think I'd probably go with PASM, unless PEI roads have improved in the last 6 years.

On the other hand, if I lived in a place where they had roads like Florida, I'd probably opt for the Sports Suspension Plus. winking smiley
Roger987 - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 8:30:49 pm
The roads in PEI are abysmal. My taxes keep going up, but infrastructure keeps going down.

And I fear it will only get worse - once the baby-boomers really start tapping into the healthcare system, there will be less money for highways etc.

Bottom line - let's enjoy our Boxsters !!!
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 25 May, 2013, at 8:40:11 pm
Roger987

Bottom line - let's enjoy our Boxsters !!!

smileys with beer

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sweet Mother of .....
Roger987 - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 3:50:46 pm
Guenter, you didn't buy a sports car; you bought Porsche's new Race Car.

You hit this one out of the park!

Congratulations.

BTW, excellent colour choice.winking smiley
Re: Sweet Mother of .....
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 4:31:30 pm
Roger987
Guenter, you didn't buy a sports car; you bought Porsche's new Race Car.

You hit this one out of the park!

Congratulations.

BTW, excellent colour choice.winking smiley

Gee Roger, I really appreciate your unbiased opinion on my colour choice. cool smiley

Thanks on your first comment. Like I said, it is the ultimate Porsche for me. It may not be someone else's, but they're also not paying for it. smiling smiley
Re: CURVEN8R2
richard986pei - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 6:36:32 pm
Fantastic Guenter, Congratulations on your new dream car. Perfect colour and awesome looking rims - what a sexy beast!!!
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 11:46:15 pm
richard986pei
Fantastic Guenter, Congratulations on your new dream car. Perfect colour and awesome looking rims - what a sexy beast!!!

Thanks, Richard. I've tested out all the options. I have a feeling that the end result will be more than just a sum of all the parts. I love Porsches in all the different colours, but mine just has to be silver and GT Silver isn't bad at all. smiling smiley What really amazed me was just how compliant the Sports Chassis is even with the 20" wheels. Until I actually drove it in a back to back test drive with a PASM equipped car, I had been planning to get the PASM. I'm glad I had a chance to try it out.

As for looks - Yup, it's not bad looking at all. cool smiley You wouldn't think that being 20 mm lower would make that much of a difference, but it does in both the stance and the handling.
jwdbox - Thursday, 23 May, 2013, at 7:22:39 pm
Spectacular. Super Permagrin Congratulations Guenter!!! Thanks for sharing the background on how you got here and the details on your stunning CURVEN8R2
CarreraLicious - Friday, 24 May, 2013, at 6:03:47 am
Congrats on your new Boxster Guenter. It looks to be a terrific replacement for C1! Can't wait to see the pics when you have her delivered.
!!! *NM*
Laz - Friday, 24 May, 2013, at 7:42:53 am
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 26 May, 2013, at 9:08:40 pm
I leave the country for a few weeks and you pull the trigger! Looks like an awesome car, Gman! Just sorry it won't be here for BRBS - but at least CURVN8R (2) will have a chance to say farewell to CURVEN8R I1)

Oh yes - you will learn to ignore Gary's "Constructive" criticism - I have! grinning smiley You buy the car to suit yourself - not someone else's idea of the perfect car!

Cheers! smileys with beer

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Go 'all in' and take euro delivery??!!
jlegelis - Wednesday, 5 June, 2013, at 2:44:37 pm
Congrats! I presume euro delivery it's an option... live the dream!!
Re: Go 'all in' and take euro delivery??!!
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 5 June, 2013, at 4:32:43 pm
jlegelis
Congrats! I presume euro delivery it's an option... live the dream!!

Yes. Euro delivery is an option. Just not for me. Big reason is that I wouldn't want to be without the Boxster for 4 - 6 years (well that's how long the weeks would be) while waiting for it to be shipped home.

I'd rather visit the factory and museum, rent a Porsche and have my Boxster waiting for me when I arrived back home.
m4240z - Thursday, 6 June, 2013, at 4:23:17 pm
I really like the new order and the backstory to your car -- I wish I could be as enthused about a car as you are, as much as I like the Boxster, I'm not quite there.....

My dream would be European Delivery for six months......I'd have to get rid of the last kid before that happens.....
Ghia
Laz - Thursday, 6 June, 2013, at 4:42:31 pm
A friend had one in 69 through about 72-- green with a white top and I think a white interior. There's a wood frame in the body that the top attaches to, and on his it was all rotted. We pulled the pieces out and my dad brought them to the carpenter's shop on Governors Island where a perfect replacement set was made, curves and all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 04:45PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login