Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I recently got into a rather heated discussion with a non-Porsche friend about the 'proper' way to hold a steering wheel. From my days at the track, I've always subscribed to the two-handed nine-and-three o'clock positions (or variants 10-2, 8-4), mostly due to the theory that two hands provides a much more stable platform for precise steering motions, while also safer in case of an air-bag deployment. My friend is a devotee of the single handed 12-o'clock driving position (which I refer to as the 'New Jersey Camaro' style - apologies to New Jersey-ites and/or Camaro owners). No amount of reasoning would sway either of us, in the end 'agreeing to disagree'.

In the interesting of furthering my research, would love to hear other's preferences / reasoning / etc!

- JohnL
Boston
'01 986S
I used to be a straight-armed 10 and 2 guy, especially with the Alfas. (And the right foot bent back towards the shin.) These days it's 9 and 3. A couple Porsche steering wheels encourage this by being thinner where your fingers "should" wrap around, and have indents of sorts for thumbs.
On the street cruising with the top down and nursing a cold beverage, I certainly understand the left arm on the door sill with the right in the 2 o'clock position as a mental support machanism. I hadn't heard it before, but I REALLY like the "New Jersey Camaro style" description of this! That said, I believe it is down right dangerous at higher speeds and in traffic...

On the track (or when playing a racecar driver on the street), I like the 10 and 2 positions with the arm slightly bent in cars with air bags. I also use the shuffle steer method of moving the hands in corners - personal preference. And, more importantly, I have forced myself to keep the thumbs on the side of the wheel. The mid engine cars are notorious for snap spins and if you're going to hit something or if the air bag deploys I'd really like to keep my thumbs attached to my hands. If you really need to control the car, there's nothing better then having both hands available for that. It can save your rear! smiling smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
>> especially with the Alfas
Ha! My car previous to the Boxster was an '83 Alfa Spider (loved it, but don't miss it). The steering wheel was so horizontally raked (almost bus-like) that I needed to use a '7pm and 5pm' position, usually palms up, which was quite comfortable once you got used to it!

>> I also use the shuffle steer method of moving the hands in corners
I used to do that on the track, but soon discovered I couldn't unwind fast enough to catch the car if it started to oversteer. Perhaps you have faster reflexes - YMMV.
I wouldn't worry about what others think, do what is right - two hands are always better than one. Certainly for the track. I haven't seen too many F1, NASCAR, or other racers using the 1-handed hi method. There is no problem using that method as long as NOTHING BAD HAPPENS. How much less control do you have with one hand hi during a front tire blow out? Doing an emergency avoidance move?

OK, how do I drive? Sorry to say that I find myself using the one handed low method more than I should. I like one had at 6 o'clock. However, I have actually become aware that I consciously put two hands back on the wheel whenever traffic builds up. Or when I get the opportunity to hit high speeds. I did 1xx yesterday (is the board anonymous?). Love to see your friend drive at high speeds with 1 hand hi. (I hit 1xx ONLY when there is no one else around on 6 lane highways, in day light, on dry roads. I have 2 places that I have found that I can do this with 99% comfort of not being caught.)
Absolutely no debate. Two hands, 9 (ish) and 3 (ish)
grant - Tuesday, 28 May, 2013, at 8:07:02 pm
Now, i am from New Jersey, you got a problem with dat?

10 and two may be ok, but i really like close to 9 and 3. Not only do you have more "control:", but any small motor actions are averaged, hopefulyl with a put and a take cancelling out. Its remarkably better, really. A few autocrosses or track days pretty much ends this discussion.

When driving seriously, i do not take my hands off the wheel, i'll nearly cross my arms to keep them there. You get much better control, and a clear sense of what center is, which, in an emergency, may be non-intuitive.

Now, if you;re cruising you may need a hand on the door-sill, around your lovely companion, or fiddling endlessly with the stereo (not recomended).

But that is not driving. Its kind of guiding the car along.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
In other cars I tend to drive one-handed. In the Boxster, I drive 2-handed, and try to use shuffle-steering, as I was taught in one of the driving schools I attended. High-speed driving requires 2-hands (not that I would ever speed). spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Definitely not at 12 o'clock
Boxsterra - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 12:29:24 pm
In addition to the points made in this article: [drivingtests101.com]

when you hold the steering wheel at 12 o'clock, left-right movement of the wheel can lead to increasing oscillations which is dangerous. For example, if you hit a bump that sends the wheels to the left and your hand to the left -- amplifying the effect of the bump -- when you try to compensate to the right, you have the same problem. Ok, so that's not clear but suffice it to say that it can get dicey quickly when your hand is at the top. Additionally, your left-right strength and coordination is not as good as your up-down.

It's also important to consider how quickly and easily you can steer in either direction in a sudden emergency. At 9 and 3 you have the most flexibility of movement.

I usually drive with just my left hand at 3 o'clock and if I'm in any situation with increased attention requirements, both 9 and 3.

And just for fun: [answers.yahoo.com]
Re: Definitely not at 12 o'clock
Laz - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 1:12:24 pm
Left at 3 can make for some very dramatic turns.
Oops. 9. *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 5 June, 2013, at 7:21:35 am
That's a fascinating observation - at 9 and 3
grant - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 1:44:48 pm
you have the least tendency to steer unintentionally, as the car moves and your hand does not.

Its obvious once you see it.

Grant

Grant

Re: Definitely not at 12 o'clock
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 6:52:28 pm
Boxsterra
I usually drive with just my left hand at 3 o'clock and if I'm in any situation with increased attention requirements, both 9 and 3.

So if you drive with your left hand at 3, does that mean your right hand is at 9 when driving with both hands? Seems like a loooooong movement for right handed shifting. winking smiley

Have to admit I prefer the more traditional left and right at 9 and 3.
Great for oval track drives. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 4 June, 2013, at 10:28:22 am
I live in NJ now, and....
CarreraLicious - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 8:44:38 pm
NJ camaro style is not hand holding wheel at 12... It's wrist hanging at 12 with hand flopping over the wheel. smiling smiley
Re: I live in NJ now, and....
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 3 June, 2013, at 10:28:25 pm
That ranks right up there with "Look ma, no hands."

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: I live in NJ now, and....
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 4 June, 2013, at 7:04:38 pm
Believe it it not, I saw a NJ driver on my drive home from work today with this NJ camaro driving style...except he was driving a Porsche Panamera S!
Fuggedaboutdit *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 4 June, 2013, at 8:22:18 pm
Grant

Wow. I'd fogetten about those
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 4 June, 2013, at 11:39:27 am
Spinners. Went right along with three on the tree. Cool or what.
Re: Wow. I'd fogetten about those
Rob in CO - Tuesday, 4 June, 2013, at 3:56:44 pm
My buddy just had shoulder surgery and put one of those in his car. I tried not to laugh....unsuccessfully.
confused smileyeye popping smiley *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 6 June, 2013, at 11:01:09 pm
I have a 97 boxster with 2 driving wheel spokes at 7 and 5(or is it 8 and 4). I love driving only with my left hand at 7 gripping the spoke with my thumb on one side and rest of fingers the other side of the spoke. Also, my left arm elbow is resting on the lid of the door storage bin making longer drives comfortable as the arm doesn't get tired. This way, I can indicate left or right turn signal with my left hand fingers without taking my thumb off the steering. My right hand solely controls the gear shifts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 07:39AM by bigmach. (view changes)
FWIW, Porsche factory driver Patrick Long advocates 10-and-2 and no shuffle. When he drives, his hands never move from the wheel in a corner unless absolutely required for hand-over-hand in the sharpest of corners. His reason: by maintaining grip on the wheel, the driver always knows where "center" is...key whenever adhesion is lost.
totally agree *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 11 June, 2013, at 9:17:38 pm
Grant

right hand at 9:00, left hand at 12, except for rush hout when I put one hand on top of the other, both at 7.
JackintheBoxster
right hand at 9:00, left hand at 12.

I'd really find it uncomfortable driving with my arms crossed on the steering wheel. I guess it might be OK if you were doing a lot of right turns.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
when driving 2 handed i always go with 4 and 8 position. one hand? 8 position. my reasoning for 4 and 8? siting in the drivers seat if i am suddenly thrust forward, because of a rear ender, and accident, an abrupt stop, my hands would be undermy chest and closer to re-acquire handling of the wheel versus the 10 and 2 method.in the 10 and 2 method, with you hands at the top of the wheel, with an abrupt stop, your hands will go forward and possibly off the wheel and imho: harder to re-acquire the handling of the wheel.
chris & 987
when driving 2 handed i always go with 4 and 8 position. one hand? 8 position. my reasoning for 4 and 8? siting in the drivers seat if i am suddenly thrust forward, because of a rear ender, and accident, an abrupt stop, my hands would be undermy chest and closer to re-acquire handling of the wheel versus the 10 and 2 method.in the 10 and 2 method, with you hands at the top of the wheel, with an abrupt stop, your hands will go forward and possibly off the wheel and imho: harder to re-acquire the handling of the wheel.

I can understand your thinking, but in reality, if you're involved in a head-on collision, there'll be no re-acquiring the steering wheel (the car is just going to go wherever it's pushed by the force of the accident.)

Having been involved in a head-on (other driver got pushed into our lane directly in front of us on a snowy road.) basically what happens is:
-seatbelt holds your body back against the seat
-airbag goes off and keeps your head and hands from jerking forward (and softens the force of you body straining against the seatbelt)
-nothing you can do with the steering wheel at this point. The force of the accident just pushes your car wherever.

In case of a rear end collision, you body will be pushed back into the seat. Your hands won't get pushed off the steering wheel, so you may still have some steering control, provided you don't get pushed into a vehicle in front.

Your best bet is to hold the steering wheel in such a way that you can most easily control the wheel in an emergency to be able to avoid a collision. That is the key.

I think there's a reason that the majority of sports/race steering wheels have thumb cutouts positioned so your hands are at 3 and 9.

bravo: well supported response. thank you sir
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login