Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Caddy
JackintheBoxster - 8 years ago
A friend has one of the new Cadillacs as a loaner -- it's not quite my cup of tea, but they're really nice, in my book. Cadillac seems to be sliding back to what it does best -- big-ass American cars. I hasten to add, though, that I sat in it and found the seats and the layout very BMW-like. The car is not a BMW clone but would definitely appeal to someone who likes European cars' feel but wants to move toward a more traditional American car.

2001 Base, purchased in 2004, replaced engine at 130K+, RIP 2017
Re: Caddy
decay - 8 years ago
JackintheBoxster
A friend has one of the new Cadillacs as a loaner -- it's not quite my cup of tea, but they're really nice, in my book. Cadillac seems to be sliding back to what it does best -- big-ass American cars. I hasten to add, though, that I sat in it and found the seats and the layout very BMW-like. The car is not a BMW clone but would definitely appeal to someone who likes European cars' feel but wants to move toward a more traditional American car.

Which Cadillac? I recently rode in a friend's SRX and it was pretty nice. Like you said, it was not something I would get, but it was nice.
db997S - 8 years ago
found the seats and the layout very BMW-like.

That's because Caddie put the 3-Series directly in its sights many years ago. They've been working and working towards finding a BMW slayer. From reviews I've read, they have become very close to achieving that goal. In fact, some reports a couple of years ago said the ride was too firm/European-like.
fgv1it - 8 years ago
As it happens, my wife and I got a Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 about two months ago. Having been Mercedes and Porsche customers for the past 30 years or so, we naturally assumed that the new car would be a MB, perhaps the new C-class that was getting some pretty good reviews in the press. Well, we got one of those as a loaner when we took our GL SUV in for service, and I found that I absolutely hate that ipad-like display screen that they left stuck up in the middle of the dash, and for all the good reviews, the car just did not impress me that much. Ditto with BMW and Audi. Then in April we went to the NY auto show, and just for kicks, we took a look at the Caddy's since their display was close to Audi's. Well, surprise, surprise. Excellent design inside and out, excellent fit and finish at least visually, and a lot of "content" for the price. Test drove one at our local dealership a week later, and ended up ordering one just the way we wanted it.

At first, we were surprised by how stiff the suspension was. Not Cadillac-like at all. Whether in "Touring" or "Sport", the car rode more firmly than our two Porsches (A Boxster and a 911), and the dynamic behavior of the chassis was just superb for a sedan. Pretty soon I found myself driving the Caddy in the same way that I do the Porsches (Corner, what corner? No need to slow down!) Brakes by Brembo, same as many Porsches, so similar confidence and performance. Light weight, with a lot of aluminum in the chassis and body - do you begin to detect a pattern? Well, we now have about 1500 miles on the car, and we are still very pleased and surprised by this car. All the luxury and do-dads of a Cadillac, with the performance of a European sports sedan, no if's or but's. Ah, and about 1000 miles, the ride improved noticeably. My only guess is that the shocks and bushings and other suspension working parts were so new and tight at the beginning that they resulted in the stiffness we felt. Now that they are 'wearing in", things are smoother. All in all, well done, Cadillac.
So this begs the question, which Caddy? Cadillac has one car that is an outlier - front wheel drive, big, built on a sister division's platform, etc. Nice enough car, but not consistent with the rest of the line. I cant recall what its called - all those three letter meaningless "names" confuse me.

The ATS (small one; 3-series)) and the CTS (medium, 5-series) are not big ass soft luxury cars at all. The whatever-it-is, is. Aimed at those who bought the DTS.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
There've been other, more comprehensive web pages, but the Google machine isn't cooperating with the Interweb too much today.
[pepecadillac.wordpress.com]
.. the one that started this thread. its big. It has a huge overhand. Its not RWD. its basically a nice, roomy, nothing special, not particularly well handling, sedan.

It should sell well to those who never wanted caddy to change, then again, they are a dying breed.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login