Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Stay Safe East Coast Boxsterers
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 12:16:10 am
Irene looks pretty nasty. I've talked to a few friends that are evacuating. Our thoughts and prayers are pulling for a smooth ride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 12:27AM by BoxsterBob - San Carlos. (view changes)
We dodged the bullet this time ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 12:22:21 am
... Here in Florida.
Godspeed to those further up the east coast.
Happy Porsche-ing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Plauge *NM*
old timer - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 9:38:46 am
If you see John Cusack screaming by in a limo with the doors ripped off, you may have some concern. winking smiley
Asteroid
Laz - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 11:50:23 am
Double dip! *NM*
MarcW - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 6:33:20 pm
Like this?
Laz - Saturday, 27 August, 2011, at 5:08:32 am
Re: We dodged the bullet this time ...
Ed B - Monday, 29 August, 2011, at 8:42:36 am
We did OK here in central NH, 4" of rain and some strong winds. A few washed out roads and bridges, power outages and flooded basements. We were kept busy at the FD supplying generators and pumps and helping the DPW and police with closing roads and welfare checks. There were two fires, a generator and a garage with some damage to the house.

Ed B smiling smiley
Re: Stay Safe East Coast Boxsterers
stowie27 - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 9:42:38 am
thanks for the well wishes! We are thinking here in CT about 1 mile from the coast it'll be some wind and a bunch of rain but aren't expecting anything too serious. Hoping the coastal flooding isn't too terrible. Will do my best to get some good pictures!
This one may be catastrophic...
Dave In MD - Friday, 26 August, 2011, at 11:22:52 am
Just like the earthquake! winking smiley

I've already put in my FEMA application. Perhaps I can amend it.... hot smiley

All joking aside, stay safe everyone.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Remember a few years ago we had them one after the other in Florida. One of them broke apart just before land fall on the west coast and flooded our area for over a week. Be safe everyone and good luck.
measured in inches. Sometimes the storm surge is measured in feet.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
...days, little drinking water, and lots of angry people. Want to discuss flooding, tornados, looting, zero mass transit, basically a nightmare.

Taking hurricanes like Irene casually, when you're in the cone, is irresponsible at best, but more likely just dumb!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 12:22AM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Trying to reason with hurricane season ...
Dave In MD - Saturday, 27 August, 2011, at 6:28:25 am
They ordered an evacuation of Ocean City, MD and stopped alcohol sales. Good move. As a former FL resident, I've seen and lived the damage they can do. Drinking water - check; batteries - check; tubs filled - check; ice - check; SUV full of gas - check; weeks worth of food - check; deck furniture, etc. (and everything not nailed down) inside - check; beer - check ...

I assure you it's not being taken lightly, but you have to have a sense of humor. Stay safe everyone.

Think I'll go listen to some Jimmy Buffett songs. cool smiley

Re: This one may be catastrophic... Irene update
Dave In MD - Monday, 29 August, 2011, at 10:45:53 am
We will rebuild!

smiling smiley

Lots of 50/60 MPH wind and 5 or so inches of rain. I have two trees that fell by the creek in the back of the yard. Should make some good firewood. Some flooding in the usual low lying areas but not as bad as some previous storms. No damage to house or cars. Power was out a few times but only for a minute or so.

As Pedro said, we dodged a bullet.

Over the years I've made lots of firewood...
Laz - Monday, 29 August, 2011, at 11:06:30 am
out of many branches and trunks that've fallen in my yard. The biggest project was one of the main trunks of a willow by the pond in my backyard. That came down during the heavy NE snows a couple years ago. Love my Husqvarna saw. Another trunk fell into the pond but has remained alive and became a great habitat for green herons, turtles, frogs, and fish. Contrary to what some people have told me, seasoned willow burns very well.

That lawn chair gets around, doesn't it?
We'll need to put a ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 29 August, 2011, at 11:14:02 am
... tracking device on that lawn chair.
Hope all of our members are fine and with nothing more than branches to clear.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: We'll need to put a ...
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 29 August, 2011, at 12:45:19 pm
Hey Pedro, How about a TechnoAnchor to keep those chairs in place? Just imagine the insurance savings with a product like that!

..also hoping that all our members and their cars are safe.
Dodged The Bullet.....This Time
whall - Tuesday, 30 August, 2011, at 10:09:23 am
Parked the Boxster, the Targa, my Acura daily driver and my oldest boy's BMW in a parking garage at a local hospital. We kept Leadfoot's A-4 Quatro (four wheel drive escape vehicle) in one side of the garage....the other side was filled with front porch and back yard patio furniture. The only casualty was a partially up-rooted butterfly bush. (I was worried about the survival of two 50+ tall willlow trees.) We didn't even lose electricity.

Unfortunately, there is another storm brewing in the Atlantic which my mirror Irene next week. It may be time to purchase a portable generator.

Bill

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 10:16AM by whall. (view changes)
Re: Stay Safe East Coast Boxsterers
Jaay - Tuesday, 30 August, 2011, at 3:48:01 pm
All good here on Long Island. The box made it through. My neighbor lost 2 100ft trees that landed next to my garage! Whew. Got lucky.
Re: Portable Generators
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 3:28:05 am
Having gone thru this a few years ago, I can tell you the following:

Get a generator that outputs enough watts and amps to do what you need it to do. Figure out what circuits you need to run and those you can live w/o. A 30 amp generator of sufficient wattage should run whatever you need it to including your 110volt furnace, except the A/C. If you also want to power the A/C, the generator needs to output at least 50 amps. Discuss your requirements w/ an electrician and have him wire the house/fuse box for the generator. The generator will be noisy, so place it where it won't be too disturbing, but where you can maintain control of it.

I bought a wheeled, gasoline-powered, 7000watt continuous, 8750watt peak, 110/220volt, 30 amp generator, and had an electrician wire an inlet box on the outside of my house. The generator power 10-circuits including bathroom and other interior lites, furnace, frig, microwave, TV, Internet and computers, and well. It also has enough outlets to power additional things like the two freezers and whatever else I need. I also bought several hundred feet of high quality power cords in various lengths (thin-gauge wire gets hot). The six gallon tank will fuel it for >10-hours under a full load. And I keep plenty of extra gas cans should the power outage go into extra innings.

And during your pre-storm preparations, don't forget stocking up on home defense firearms and ammo, especially if you live in or near a metropolitan area or a major highway. Forewarned is forearmed, and forearmed means being armed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 03:29AM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login