Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
981 impressions after the first 600 miles
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 11:15:23 am
We were out on a PCA Fun Run yesterday and it gave me a chance to play with some of the features on the new CURVEN8R 2. SteveJ asked for some impressions while the 987 CURVEN8R is still fresh in my mind. Yesterday, we covered 300 miles total. Weather was cool for end of July. About 60 degrees in the morning and got up to around 70 mid day.

I'd mentioned before that the center screen that comes with the wind deflector, really cuts down on your rearward vision. It's specially bad when you're driving in shadows like along a tree lined road or when the sun is setting behind you. Fortunately, I'd bought Pedro's TechNoWind and had it installed for the fun run. (It's a snap - literally). It eliminates the border of the screen and absolutely clear to see through. It flexes a little bit, but much less than the one in my 987. Not sure if that's because it is a bit thicker material or because it's a bit smaller than the one in the 987.

Not a great shot, but was the only one I could get with my 981 and a 987 to compare the roofline and trunk to show the differences.

Drove to the fun run start with the top up along the 401. There is definitely less wind noise with the top up at freeway speeds. Cruising at a hypothetical 80 mph, I'm sure I'd get 27.6 mpg. winking smiley I'm guess this would improve as the engine gets broken in.

WOW factor. I always got compliments on my 987 when I was out. This car definitely kicks it up a notch. Yesterday, on the way to the Fun Run, the 401 headed into Toronto was pretty empty (it's a parking lot during the week.). I spotted a yellow Ferrari come off a ramp. He trailed me for a little while on the left, then backed up and came around and trailed on the right. Never came up to try to "race" as you sometimes get. Just was having a good look from both sides. Then he accelerated by me and onto an off ramp. Lots of compliments from the participants in the fun run. First pit stop, when I came back to the car, there were a dozen people standing around the car with questions and comments. Most compliments where on the colour and people really loved the headlight treatment and the front bumper. At the end of the second leg, the driver in front (with a 986) came to me and said the car was just gorgeous on the road and love the aggressive look of the front. There was one other 981 driver there. He said the one thing he wished he'd got was the PSE. He just loved the sound of it. Then at one of our stops, had a guy walk across the street to have a look at the car and asked me if I was a doctor or lawyer or if I'd won the lottery to be able to afford a car like this. Asked him how much he thought it cost. He figured it had to be at least $150,000.

Front view - still at the dealership.

PSE. LOVE that option. It should be standard on a car like this. It sounds great when you accelerate, and when lifting off the throttle to slow down or shift gears, you just get these great sounding pops and burbles.

Sport Mode (standard on the 981). Hit the button and idle jumps from around 625 RPM to around 825 RPM. Throttle response is more instant and oh my, the PSE even becomes more alive. I think Roger had expressed it best when I posted that video of a 981 on German roads. Acceleration sounds great and when you back off the throttle, it really does sound like fireworks on the 4th of July.

The Sports Suspension with the 20" wheels, still impresses me with how compliant it is. Some of the back roads we drove yesterday weren't the smoothest. I think the ride is about as compliant as the stock suspension on my 987, but there's just no lean and the Sport Seats Plus really hug and hold you in place.

The electric power steering - you don't get the "feel" of the bumps on the road as I got with the 987. At has pretty good steering feel and at least isn't too light, even at highway speeds.

There's not as much storage in the cabin as the 987 had. I couldn't fit my maps into the folding door pockets. Still have to figure out a storage system for those.

Love the new OBC. Lots info available there. Finally get oil temperature and pressure readings, as well as battery voltage. I could see how much longer it took to get the oil temperature up to operating temperature (about 12 miles) compared to the coolant (about 3 miles ) at 60 degrees ambient temperature. Lot's of customization you can do with the OBC.

Shifter: Still getting used to the higher position than in the 981. Throw lengths are about 1/2 way the 987 stock shifter and the B&M short shift. I must say though, I love how smoothly this shifter works.

Mileage: For the whole 300 miles yesterday, I averaged 25 mpg, Cruising on the freeway 27.6 mpg. Driving the back roads on the way home. These were relatively straight with stop signs and little towns along the way, I averaged 29.5 mpg travelling at around 60 mph. I didn't check on the fun run itself. I was more focused on conducting the orchestra and driving dynamics. Grin hasn't quite worn off yet. hot smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Excellent!
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 12:24:58 pm
I'm sure you will have more to report after the break-in period is done and you can use the "S" power. I find I'm getting more attached to my obsolete 987 as I put more miles on it, and I'm sure the same will hold for you and your 981.

Steve
You're right about the S power
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 1:11:07 pm
Moving from 240 to 315 HP, I'm finding it really difficult to keep it under 4200 RPM because in 2nd and 3rd it comes up so fast even without full throttle (I'm avoiding using that too during break-in.)
Re: You're right about the S power
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 3:25:46 pm
Now with so much drive time in the new 315 hp S, when I recently drove my old 217 hp base '01, it felt like there was no "there" there. Don't get me wrong: beautiful and balanced nonetheless.
I'm of two minds
grant - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 9:44:59 pm
on the street my base 986 2.7 has more power than i ever need.

On the track my 3.2 S is totally anemic and outclassed

But, then, my goal is to win gunfights with my knife.

Its all about the driving, not the machinery, as long as the machinery speaks to you as communicatively and sexually as a boxster.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: I'm of two minds (edited: new image)
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 10:02:50 pm
All understood, but the only car I associate with sex is:
[www.vaultcars.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 10:05PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: I'm of two minds
MikenOH - Wednesday, 31 July, 2013, at 9:42:43 am
grant
on the street my base 986 2.7 has more power than i ever need.

On the track my 3.2 S is totally anemic and outclassed

But, then, my goal is to win gunfights with my knife.

Its all about the driving, not the machinery, as long as the machinery speaks to you as communicatively and sexually as a boxster.

Grant

My mechanic has a 2000S that had been modded a bit--headers/ exhaust/suspension and routinely turns1:46-1:47 laps at Mid-OH; with the right tires/brake pads you should be able to keep up with most cars, save the high HP ones--GT3/996-997Turbo/991S/Z06.
this kind of report makes it difficult...
SMILIN - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 1:59:28 pm
...to focus on my plan to get a used 2013 in a couple of years...I was on the configurator this weekend. smiling smiley

enjoy your ride, and keep sharing your stories.
Re: 981 impressions after the first 600 miles
m4240z - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 2:37:03 pm
Stop posting these updates!!! It's causing me to reach for my checkbook and drive to the local Porsche dealer -- which is in walking distance!!!!

Great review -- your gas milage is remarkable. I guess my only big issue is the feel of the electric steering.

Enjoy your car.
You don't need to feel every bit of texture in the asphalt, with "micro-dancing" of the wheel, which can ultimately be tiring during a long road trip. (Think "GT." ) The "μ-split torque recommendation" definitely keeps the car straighter under hard braking, especially because most any public road has an "uneven surface" to some degree. Admittedly, loading in turns is less linear than the hydraulic, then again, I'd love to compare that to the completely unassisted steering in the early 911 and 912.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 03:39PM by Laz. (view changes)
I tend to agree about electro-mechanical steering filtering out the texture, and that you probably don't want it all the time. For me, I do want it, as my 986 is a daily summer driver, and my other car is a rather numb feeling sedan, so I like the contrast. I'm driving a rental Audi A4 which has electro-mechanical steering, and it's deadly accurate, has a nice feel, and is great to drive for the most part, especially over long trips. However, I really like the raw, immediate nature of the 986, and I guess, frankly, that's my greatest beef about the general softening of cars. I like the fact that driving a 986 is like driving something alive, and it's relatively primitive. For me, the new cars have become just a little too refined -- and I suppose that is where the market is going -- however, the 981 is quite lovely -- and Guenter's praise does increase the siren's song.
• Yes, it looks like a $150,000 car, and even without that, Boxsters have always been a great value.
• Just a couple days ago, people took pictures of my car at two locations.
• The TechNoWind is much better in more than one parameter than the factory mesh: transparency (literally); field of view (you need all you can get with the 981 Boxster. Don't know if there will be inner deck height issues with the new Cayman, but at least there are no roll bars. In midday sunlight with the top down, there can be a reflection from the center console silver trim (console having the shifter, etc.)
• With recent drives in my old base '01, I find the old shifter smoother, and the idling engine quieter and smoother-sounding. The now-broken-in 3.4 S motor sounds like nothing but a fully-fledged Carrera engine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 03:29PM by Laz. (view changes)
I've had no issues with reflections in the windshield, but I always wear polarized sunglass on a sunny day. They will get rid of the reflections.

Could be just differences with the shifters, maybe an adjustment, but I find mine really smooth.
To be clear,
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 4:35:44 pm
I mean a reflection in the TechNoWind. If someone comes up with an appliqué that does doesn't look ad hoc for the trim piece, I might go for it. Remember Jules the Cover Guy?
Re: To be clear,
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 4:51:37 pm
Laz
I mean a reflection in the TechNoWind. If someone comes up with an appliqué that does doesn't look ad hoc for the trim piece, I might go for it. Remember Jules the Cover Guy?

OK. Thought you were referring to the windshield. I haven't noticed it, but yesterday, we did have a lot of cloud.

Have you noticed the passenger seatbelt buckle banging against the plastic piece that runs down the side, right behind the door? I just noticed it the other night when I was out by myself in the car. Trying to figure out something to put there to stop the noise.
Seat belt buckle; thermal management; reflections (addendum)
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 4:59:26 pm
Yeah, the buckle taps agains the panel. I think it's one of those, "they all do that" things, and doesn't the 986 (and 7?) do that, too?
Porsche has some sophisticated thermal management program to regulate the coolant, engine oil, and transmission temperatures. Somewhere on line, maybe the official site there's a description. I think coolant heating is prioritized, then the oil, then a regulatory heat exchange between the two, along with the coolant and engine compartment fans. Eventually you might catch the e.c. fans stepping down from high to low speed.
It's been mentioned before, there is an issue with reflection on the windshield from the dashboard top vents, both the longitudinal and the lateral ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 05:02PM by Laz. (view changes)
I don't plan on listening the tapping. I don't like rattles and noises like that.

The mechanic who was doing the PDI told me that even the transmission is included in the thermal management. Maybe this is part of it?

Is it hard to key while in a gas station rest room on the road? grinning smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I don't know
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 7:50:54 pm
I've never taken a car into a gas station rest room. Why would you do that? confused smiley
A piece of carpet...
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 9:05:41 pm
nicely cut, matching texture and color adhered to the panel? Edge piping would "finish" the job. Or a shaped piece of that sticky Sorbothane-like stuff that people use to hold things on the dash top. It ought to have nice damping properties that would eliminate the hard knocking noise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2013 09:08PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: A piece of carpet...
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 9:36:52 pm
I was thinking along those lines, Maybe even a soft piece of carpeting held in place by the carpeting with some Velcro.
Whatever is used, it will have to be adhered,
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 9:57:47 pm
so perhaps my second suggestion could be best, as it might have a better chance of looking like it belongs there. Not sure what adhesive would work well, if at all, with the sticky stuff I mentioned. Best would be something that has adhesive backing already. Come to think of it, there ought to be self adhesive felt of the kind that's used under table lamps, etc, that would be large enough and look right.
Home Depot and CTC have the industrial strength stuff.
Laz
so perhaps my second suggestion could be best, as it might have a better chance of looking like it belongs there. Not sure what adhesive would work well, if at all, with the sticky stuff I mentioned. Best would be something that has adhesive backing already. Come to think of it, there ought to be self adhesive felt of the kind that's used under table lamps, etc, that would be large enough and look right.

Something like the self adhesive felt sounds like it might fill the bill. I think there's a good fabric store only 50 or 60 miles from here. smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks Laz
I would go about it differently. A foam attachment that would fit over the buckle and could easily be removed and stowed in the glove box when not needed would solve the problem. I hope Pedro is monitoring this thread.

Steve
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans)
I would go about it differently. A foam attachment that would fit over the buckle and could easily be removed and stowed in the glove box when not needed would solve the problem. I hope Pedro is monitoring this thread.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I've considered this one too. The biggest challenge will be to find something that fits over the end of the buckle.
Thanks for the suggestion. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 6:52:13 pm
Roger987 - Monday, 29 July, 2013, at 5:18:31 pm
'Sounds' as though you've fallen in love... again. That's a lucky three - your co-pilot, your 987, and now your 981. (Michelle will love me for naming her first - don't forget, Gman, when you say "Gosh, I LOVE that car", make sure you add "of course, never as much as you, darling".) grinning smiley

Lottery, doctor, lawyer... good job you're not the latter - you might be driving around in a 2005 Boxster, living the 981 vicariously through your friend 1100 miles away in Ontario. winking smiley
Nice write-up, sounds like a great car. As for storage of the maps, I suggest we send satellites into space, triangulate your location and send all the data to an electronic device, I shall call it... a GPS! winking smiley
Happy CURVEN8ing! grinning smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 30 July, 2013, at 12:46:54 pm
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
Nice write-up, sounds like a great car. As for storage of the maps, I suggest we send satellites into space, triangulate your location and send all the data to an electronic device, I shall call it... a GPS! winking smiley
Happy CURVEN8ing! grinning smiley

Thanks Bob. I do have a GPS and use it, but I like to plan my own routes instead of having a computer tell me where to go. smiling smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
I agree AND there is great sense of accomplishment when you master the skill of re-folding a map! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login