Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
IMS replaced interesting outcome
Griff 03s - Friday, 13 September, 2013, at 5:03:14 pm
Just had my IMS replaced with an LN and was looking at the old one. It looked brand new, no cracks in the seals and tight. It did seem like motor oil was seeping out. Removed one of the seals and it was completely empty except for some motor oil. So much for being packed with grease. Good thing motor oil had seeped in. I believe I dodged the bullet. Forgot to mention it's an 03S with 46,000 miles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 05:06PM by Griff 03s. (view changes)
lack of which, of course, is the problem as Pedro points out.

but the fact that so many show up like yours and mine suggests that an open-frame bearing, in a regularly used car, with frequent oil changes (no acid, watery oil) can last fairly well.

With DOF - it will likely outlast the rest of the motor.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
No play = no bullet dodged
Boxsterra - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 10:59:32 am
The bearing wears fairly linearly until just before it fails. So unless there is a bunch of play in the bearing you weren't really at risk.
Re: No play = no bullet dodged
Griff 03s - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 11:24:22 am
Boxsterra
The bearing wears fairly linearly until just before it fails. So unless there is a bunch of play in the bearing you weren't really at risk.

What I was saying was the seals looked good and tight. I didn't see anything wrong but there was a little play and that's probably how the oil got in and the grease came out. Maybe I wasn't at risk, but if it should be filled with grease and it wasn't something is wrong.
My reasoning
Boxsterra - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 2:07:39 pm
There is no question that the IMS bearing lubrication is a weakness in the M96 engine. However, due to scare tactics and other unethical marketing techniques of self-described "solution" provider(s) the magnitude of the issue has been blown way out of proportion. This has the net effect of unnecessarily making people feel bad about their cars.

So when I see extreme language being used to describe what amounts to routine (albeit somewhat expensive) maintenance and people taking reasonable precautions my instinct is to rein in the language and be realistic and specific about what is really happening.

Thanks for your report. It's good to hear about what people are observing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2013 08:57AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Re: IMS replaced interesting outcome
Al in Melbourne Beach - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 12:09:13 pm
Exactly my experience at about 47k in my 2002 base. Bearing was just beginning to exhibit some axial wobble.
Re: IMS replaced interesting outcome
thom4782 - Saturday, 14 September, 2013, at 1:21:48 pm
Boxster IMS bearings fail for two apparent reasons: compromised lubrication and excessive side loadings.

Sealed bearings lubricated by grease alone and unsealed bearings lubricated by oil alone after the grease is washed out seem to last a long time. Bearings with leaking seals that allow grease and oil to mix together without washing out the grease compromise lubrication and die a premature death.

Bearings also fail when side loads exceed design limits at engine operating temperatures. For this reason, ceramic bearing last longer than steel ones and double row bearings last longer than single row units.
Not exactly mainstream media but the first I recall seeing it even mentioned outside of Porsche-specific publications.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login